Steve Archibald.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Archibald.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Big Ramy 1314

Was watching some retro football and seen some of Steve Archibald. Did not realize he played for 15 different clubs. What surprised me was he also played for Tottenham, Barcelona, and Español.. Think he won a couple European trophies aswell. What type of player was he? How was he with Scotland, I remember him in the 1982 World Cup in Spain. My mate who is a mad Tottenham fan said his nickname there was "itchy bollocks"..🤣

A mate of mine was the physio at East Fife when Stevie was the manager there.There was a player who was injured (i think it was Paul Hunter) and Stevie arranged for him to go to Barcelona to get treatment so my mate went with them.

Everywhere they went they were treated like royalty because of Stevie's time at Barca as a player,he is a hero in that city.

57 minutes ago, Wullie Anderson said:

A mate of mine was the physio at East Fife when Stevie was the manager there.There was a player who was injured (i think it was Paul Hunter) and Stevie arranged for him to go to Barcelona to get treatment so my mate went with them.

Everywhere they went they were treated like royalty because of Stevie's time at Barca as a player,he is a hero in that city.

Ah cheers Wullie. Don't here about him these days. He must have been some player then..

4 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Ah cheers Wullie. Don't here about him these days. He must have been some player then..

That would be why "Only an Excuse" radio World Cup Special ripped him a new one

He was absolutely dire for Scotland - "He can't do just about anything"

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

That would be why "Only an Excuse" radio World Cup Special ripped him a new one

He was absolutely dire for Scotland - "He can't do just about anything"

Oh, OK then. That's why I posted this, I haven't a scooby how he played for Scotland..🙂

1 hour ago, noctonjock said:

Remember him winning  the penalty  against England at Wembley in 81 and scoring against New Zealand at the World Cup in Spain the year after but don't think he did too much in a Scotland shirt to be honest

Seems like we had loads of good strikers in the mid 80s but none of them did that well for scotland. Mccoist, mcavennie, mcclair, nicholas, johnston, archibald. Thats quite a selection but some only got 20/30  caps and scored hardly any goals. I wasnt old enough to remember but did we fuk about too much with selection and end up not settling properly on one guy?

Mccoist and maybe johnston are the only ones who actually did ok (scoring wise)but mccoist pretty much hit his peak at a time when the others were retired from international football and there was less striking options in general.

4 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Remember him winning  the penalty  against England at Wembley in 81 and scoring against New Zealand at the World Cup in Spain the year after but don't think he did too much in a Scotland shirt to be honest

Be realistic, we'd take anyone of our players - let alone strikers - doing that much in a Scotland shirt now.

It's a bit like those who say Andy Murray is a failure. If three Grand Slams, two Olympic Golds and a Davis Cup is considered a failure of a career, then where can we sign up for it?

Edited by Barney Rubble

Stevie Archibald was a very good striker. You dont get the moves he did and play for the clubs he did without talent. He was a supremely confident guy as well and that rubbed a lot of folk up the wrong way, so I dont think he made himself popular with journalists and some fellow pros at the time. However, if you listen to the likes of Willie Miller, Alex McLeish and Gordon Strachan, they all rated him. Even Lineker speaks well of him in the recent icons documentary on BBC.

Stevies problem was he was born in a time when Scotland had a lot of options. Joe Jordan, Dalglish, McCoist, Johnston, McAvennie, Nicholas, Paul Sturrock, Derek Johnston, Alan Brazil etc so he didnt play anywhere near the number of games for Scotland he would have got these days.

Probably not helped by his rather aloof uncompromising demeanour!

Edited by Judith

44 minutes ago, Judith said:

Stevie Archibald was a very good striker. You dont get the moves he did and play for the clubs he did without talent. He was a supremely confident guy as well and that rubbed a lot of folk up the wrong way, so I dont think he made himself popular with journalists and some fellow pros at the time. However, if you listen to the likes of Willie Miller, Alex McLeish and Gordon Strachan, they all rated him. Even Lineker speaks well of him in the recent icons documentary on BBC.

Stevies problem was he was born in a time when Scotland had a lot of options. Joe Jordan, Dalglish, McCoist, Johnston, McAvennie, Nicholas, Paul Sturrock, Derek Johnston, Alan Brazil etc so he didnt play anywhere near the number of games for Scotland he would have got these days.

Good post and analysis.

Of the options you mention the only two - imo - he couldn't touch were Dalglish and Jordan (and yet still scored in WC82 alongside both). Mo Johnston in 89/90 may well have been of a similar standard, but none of the others were remotely close to him in terms of contribution. 

Edited by Barney Rubble

2 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

My love for Motson has not diminished, despite his recent passing.

Oanyhoo, Archibald's international goalscoring record is not one we've missed despite his club credentials.   His stats from the early-mid 80s suggest it was far easier to score for Barca & Spurs (+ previously in Scotland) than at international level then.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Be realistic, we'd take anyone of our players - let alone strikers - doing that much in a Scotland shirt now.

It's a bit like those who say Andy Murray is a failure. If three Grand Slams, two Olympic Golds and a Davis Cup is considered a failure of a career, then where can we sign up for it?

Never ever heard anybody saying Andy Murray is a failure.Certainly not anybody that doesn't belong in a rubber room.You forgot being world number one in an era that had Federer,Nadal and Djokovic.Surely there isn't anybody in the world that is that f..cking stupid?

7 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Correct

There is a litany of Scottish players that were fantastic with their clubs that never reproduced it consistently with the National Team - even Dalglish used to get pelters

When it comes to players that epitomise that Archibald is right up there

2 hours ago, Judith said:

Archibald was terrible for Scotland. Stop pretending otherwise.

It’s an interesting one, perhaps we were absolutely spoilt and there was just too many of them which became the problem. It’s mad when you look at the clubs they played for and their goal scoring records at their clubs in the 80s. Did we arguably have better strikers than England back then?  If we had just 2 or 3 it might have led to better consistency at tournaments. 

11 minutes ago, JECK said:

It’s an interesting one, perhaps we were absolutely spoilt and there was just too many of them which became the problem. It’s mad when you look at the clubs they played for and their goal scoring records at their clubs in the 80s. Did we arguably have better strikers than England back then?  If we had just 2 or 3 it might have led to better consistency at tournaments. 

From about 1979 to 83 we produced more top level strikers than in the 40 years since. 

The 80s was a golden age for scottish strikers yet most of them struggled for scotland and its not like we had shite teams or squads back then.

23 hours ago, duncan II said:

Archibald was terrible for Scotland. Stop pretending otherwise.

Where did I say otherwise?

I never commented on his performances for Scotland.

I think it says a lot were Sir Alex Ferguson after 43 years still talks of him in such high regard.

Ferguson will talk about the players he has had here and there, and yet when he talks about Archibald, he always seems to get that glint in his eye and smile on his face, which makes me think he has always had a soft spot for him.

Thought the series was fantastic, with Archibald's one surprisingly being the best, Charlie Nic was also enjoyable, and the Luggy one was heartbreaking...... the Gough one was the worst in the series and felt he came across as a nasty piece of work the way he took delight in saying he effectively held a gun against peoples heads to get what he wanted)

29 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think it says a lot were Sir Alex Ferguson after 43 years still talks of him in such high regard.

Ferguson will talk about the players he has had here and there, and yet when he talks about Archibald, he always seems to get that glint in his eye and smile on his face, which makes me think he has always had a soft spot for him.

And why he never started him against Uruguay in 1986 nor brought him on as a substitute when we needed a goal ........