Steve Archibald.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Archibald.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Big Ramy 1314

Watched the nicholas and archibald episodes. Both were excellent. 

Had a look at the stats and nicholas scored 48 goals in 53 appearances in the season before he went to arsenal. I am guessing there must have been huge excitement about him considering he was only 21/22 at the time. 

Seems like he really underachieved considering how promising he looked.

53 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Had a look at the stats and nicholas scored 48 goals in 53 appearances in the season before he went to arsenal. I am guessing there must have been huge excitement about him considering he was only 21/22 at the time. 

He expands on this in the Graham Hunter podcast series, Arsenal made A LOT of promises to him to get him to sign (said they were going to make 3-4 big signings, and that they would be bringing Liam Brady back from Italy to sign for the club).

Says he had talks with Man United, and Ron Atkinson spent an entire meal talking about Ron Atkinson which put him off, and Liverpool players in the Scotland squad were touting him (said Kenny came up to him and said "sign for Liverpool and be my replacement", which Charlie replied "but you are still good for another 5 years, so I would be sitting on the bench").

53 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I was 18 years old in 1983 (not a Celtic fan) I remember his early days well, he had all the natural talent in the world and in my opinion should have gone on to be our highest ever goal scorer and come close to Kenny Dalglish's cap tally

Totally chose the wrong club, IIRC Liverpool where eyeing him up as a direct replacement for KD, also remember he had a really bad leg break when he was still a young lad breaking into the Celtic 1st team.

He really did have it all. . . . . . . . . well apart from good advice / poor judgement.

13 minutes ago, wanderer said:

He expands on this in the Graham Hunter podcast series, Arsenal made A LOT of promises to him to get him to sign (said they were going to make 3-4 big signings, and that they would be bringing Liam Brady back from Italy to sign for the club).

Says he had talks with Man United, and Ron Atkinson spent an entire meal talking about Ron Atkinson which put him off, and Liverpool players in the Scotland squad were touting him (said Kenny came up to him and said "sign for Liverpool and be my replacement", which Charlie replied "but you are still good for another 5 years, so I would be sitting on the bench").

10 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

I was 18 years old in 1983 (not a Celtic fan) I remember his early days well, he had all the natural talent in the world and in my opinion should have gone on to be our highest ever goal scorer and come close to Kenny Dalglish's cap tally

Totally chose the wrong club, IIRC Liverpool where eyeing him up as a direct replacement for KD, also remember he had a really bad leg break when he was still a young lad breaking into the Celtic 1st team.

He really did have it all. . . . . . . . . well apart from good advice / poor judgement.

Sounds like liverpool would have been the better choice. 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

And why he never started him against Uruguay in 1986 nor brought him on as a substitute when we needed a goal ........

I'd almost forgotten he was even in that squad. I couldn't remember him playing at all, but he obviously did get a game against West Germany. It looks like Sturrock, Nicholas, McAvennie and even Sharp 😮 (Graeme Sharp FFS!!!!) all got more minutes in that WC than Archibald did. Maybe he wasn't fully fit? 

Turns out that was his last game for Scotland and he was only 29. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

He was absolutely massive - certainly in West/Central Scotland.   He had the skills and the image, sort of a George Best style figure.  

I recall when he went to Arsenal i had a bet with a Celtic supporting mate of mine that he wouldn't score 10 goals in the league the following season.   Strangely it was my mate who was saying that, I thought he'd score a lot more.  He scored 11 goals, I didn't take the money off my mate as he'd proved his point.

On 7/22/2023 at 9:40 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Was watching some retro football and seen some of Steve Archibald. Did not realize he played for 15 different clubs. What surprised me was he also played for Tottenham, Barcelona, and Español.. Think he won a couple European trophies aswell. What type of player was he? How was he with Scotland, I remember him in the 1982 World Cup in Spain. My mate who is a mad Tottenham fan said his nickname there was "itchy bollocks"..🤣

That you didn't know that makes me feel very old!