Lyndon Dykes - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lyndon Dykes

er yir macaroon

Another huge contribution in a Scotland shirt. That wee bit of pace and power to reach the ball and poke it in the net, then a cushioned lay off to assist the winner.

He has his detractors but he was a very late starter in football and he’ll keep improving all the way through his career. He’s taken all the best attributes from Aussie Rules with him into football and is absolute gold for us. 

28 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Another huge contribution in a Scotland shirt. That wee bit of pace and power to reach the ball and poke it in the net, then a cushioned lay off to assist the winner.

He has his detractors but he was a very late starter in football and he’ll keep improving all the way through his career. He’s taken all the best attributes from Aussie Rules with him into football and is absolute gold for us. 

Seconded

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

👍  Did for us what everyone thought Halaand would do for them, and all without diving like a fairy to try and get a penalty.

Dykes has scored 9 goals to date for us in 4 years and 29 appearances.  I would love to see him crack the top ten list which would mean another 5 to equal Mo Johnson.  He isn't a prolific scorer but he is so suited to our style of play, we are very blessed to have him.  

8 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Don’t even check how he’s doing at QPR, assuming that’s who he’s playing for, long as he’s fit he’ll be in the squad and usually has a decent enough game or better. 

Lovely assist for McLean as well. 

He's on the move - Definitely/ Probably/ Possibly / Mebbe to Millwall depending on who you believe.

Dykes & Nisbet up front for Club & Country ? 🤔

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I thought Lyndon should’ve started against Cyprus and England. After his performances in the previous round of games, scoring against Norway and assisting McGregor’s opener against Georgia, I thought he deserved to be in the starting 11.

Was saying this the other day when chatting in the pub. Adams definitely had more quality but doesn’t seem to be working well in the Scotland side. 

For me, Dykes should be starting ahead of him. 

12 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Was saying this the other day when chatting in the pub. Adams definitely had more quality but doesn’t seem to be working well in the Scotland side. 

For me, Dykes should be starting ahead of him. 

I forgot that Dykes also had an assist in the 2nd goal against Norway, that lovely lay off to McLean. 
Seems very harsh to drop him in the next set of games. 
Adams is a decent player but for me,  he doesn’t lead the line as well, he seems more suited to a number 10 role, playing deeper, off a main striker. 

15 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I forgot that Dykes also had an assist in the 2nd goal against Norway, that lovely lay off to McLean. 
Seems very harsh to drop him in the next set of games. 
Adams is a decent player but for me,  he doesn’t lead the line as well, he seems more suited to a number 10 role, playing deeper, off a main striker. 

Adams creates the space that the attacking mids like McTomminay and McGinn run into. This can rarely be seen on the TV or even at the game unless you are looking. 

Dykes is a different type of player who in my opinion is much better suited to coming on as a sub when he can bully defenders and lay the ball off to midfielder runners.

One thing I would say is that top level defenders usually would rather play against a Dkyes like striker than a striker with any kind of pace.

9 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Adams creates the space that the attacking mids like McTomminay and McGinn run into. This can rarely be seen on the TV or even at the game unless you are looking. 

Dykes is a different type of player who in my opinion is much better suited to coming on as a sub when he can bully defenders and lay the ball off to midfielder runners.

One thing I would say is that top level defenders usually would rather play against a Dkyes like striker than a striker with any kind of pace.

Dykes has decent pace. I still think it’s harsh to drop a striker who is scoring and providing assists in important qualification games. Dykes record for Scotland is decent, he’d scored an important goal then helped with an assist for the winner against Norway, he also provided the knock down for McGregors goal against Georgia, then he gets dropped?

Edited by Scot1

3 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Dykes has decent pace. I still think it’s harsh to drop a striker who is scoring and providing assists in important qualification games. Dykes record for Scotland is decent, he’d scored an important goal then helped with an assist for the winner against Norway, he also provided the knock down for McGregors goal against Georgia, then he gets dropped?

Yeh I also thought it was a bit harsh to drop him.

He really plays well for Scotland. It's a bit strange that he plays in the second tier of England because his Scotland performances suggest he's good enough to play a higher level.

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

Dykes offers something for Scotland but he does not have pace. Although they are obviously computer games, its widely acknowleged that they are very accurate with many top clubs using the scouting system data to aid their own systems. EAFC (formally FIFA) has Dykes pace at 66 and Adams at 79. (Out of 100)

Football manager has Dykes at 11 and Adams at 15 (out of 20).

Dykes is an old school target man. Those are his qualities and as I said they are useful for Scotland in certain situations. (Imo off the bench or when teams are sitting very deep)

Dykes has decent pace for a big man. He’s not as quick as Adams over 5-10 yards, he’s not as mobile as Adams, but he’s still got decent mobility for a big guy. In my opinion he deserved to start the last set of games because of his performances in the previous games. He was in good form, remember  Dykes scored in a number of games consecutively before being suspended. I think he equaled a record, but the suspension prevented him having the opportunity to break it. He does seem to go on runs of goals, good performances. Seemed strange to not give him a chance to see if his good form would’ve continued. 
Anyway the important game was the Cyprus game and it was a comfortable victory. He at least deserved to start against England, in my opinion.

Edited by Scot1

8 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Dykes has decent pace for a big man. He’s not as quick as Adams over 5-10 yards, he’s not as mobile as Adams, but he’s still got decent mobility for a big guy. In my opinion he deserved to start the last set of games because of his performances in the previous games. He was in good form, remember  Dykes scored in a number of games consecutively before being suspended. I think he equaled a record, but the suspension prevented him having the opportunity to break it. He does seem to go on runs of goals, good performances. Seemed strange to not give him a chance to see if his good form would’ve continued. 
Anyway the important game was the Cyprus game and it was a comfortable victory. He at least deserved to start against England, in my opinion.

He isnt as quick or even remotely as quick as Adams over any pace and Adams isnt even lightening fast at the very top level.

Im sure Dykes was injured prior to the Cyprus game and had only played limited minutes for QPR since his return. 

As I said, I dont think Dykes is a bad player so not disagreeing with you on his worth to Scotland. However i  this set of games he would only really have been useful in the Cyprus game and likely missed that due to fitness. His game isnt suited to playing England imo as it was always going to be a game where we were going to hit on the counter. That said his ability to hold the ball up would have been an asset given the way we ultimately played. However Englands defenders were likely much better equiped to deal with Dkyes style than the likes of Spain or another top continental team.

• 2 months later...

QPR now have a new manager Martin Cifuentes, a young Spanish coach. I’ve watched QPR fairly regularly over the last few years and he has them playing some nice stuff since his arrival. I’ve watched a few interviews with him and he impresses me. I’ve always thought that with the right coach, Dykes could make progress in a number of areas in his game. It’s difficult in the championship for coaches / managers to get time on the training pitch with players because of the amount of games that teams play and the amount of travelling teams have to do. And I think that Dykes growth as a player has suffered, he has got better in some respects since his move to QPR, but his improvement hasn’t been as big as I had hoped.  But I’ve got a good feeling about this new manager, I think he maybe get the best out of Dykes and help him become a better player. 

Edited by Scot1

3 hours ago, Scot1 said:

QPR now have a new manager Martin Cifuentes, a young Spanish coach. I’ve watched QPR fairly regularly over the last few years and he has them playing some nice stuff since his arrival. I’ve watched a few interviews with him and he impresses me. I’ve always thought that with the right coach, Dykes could make progress in a number of areas in his game. It’s difficult in the championship for coaches / managers to get time on the training pitch with players because of the amount of games that teams play and the amount of travelling teams have to do. And I think that Dykes growth as a player has suffered, he has got better in some respects since his move to QPR, but his improvement hasn’t been as big as I had hoped.  But I’ve got a good feeling about this new manager, I think he maybe get the best out of Dykes and help him become a better player. 

He got pretty good ratings over past few games

Screenshot_20231209_174850_FotMob.jpg