Norway v Scotland - match day thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Norway v Scotland - match day thread

romanticscot

Since i have been on this earth i have never known a Scotland National Team to win in those circumstances

Seen it often in club football but never with Scotland

Maybe it has never happened before at all

No doubt some statto will remind me of a forgotten friendly where it did - but i doubt it

It has always been defeat from the Jaws of Victory - not the other way round

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

YAAASSSSSS!!!!!!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

IMG_7613.jpeg

Hope you enjoyed it. Tell the wee man that this isn’t normal 😂

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Since i have been on this earth i have never known a Scotland National Team to win in those circumstances

No doubt some statto will remind me of a forgotten friendly where it did - but i doubt it

Reminds me being a Stoke fan in Pulis glory years mate - spirit oozes from them!

33 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lets be honest we looked poor up until the last 5/10mins. We didnt have any urgency or creativity and that result is done to a lucky goal and one brilliant move late on for mcleans goal.

I will take it all day long but we need to be a bit better in our remaining matches.

Yep, we were lucky we did something brilliant 🙄

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Possibly Cyprus in 89, but that was weaker opposition. 

10 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's happened many many times to us. I.e we have played relatively well, led until late on, and then somehow lost the game. 

It makes me think of our last minute winner v Israel. A game that we never would have won in the last 20 years (even when we deserve it). And tonight, we weren't at our best, conceded a dodgy penalty, but still won the game.

It genuinely feels like we have began our golden generation.

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I remember thinking 'this never happens to us' on that occasion. I think it was an injury time winner in that case?

Just checked. Gough in 90+ 6 minutes (!). I seem to remember we really needed that one - maybe more than today's result. It helped us edge out France that year. Norway in our group, too.

Edited by exile

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

And it was 2-2 for the last 30 minutes

I do remember that as i fell over a pub stool in the EK Tower Bar celebrating it ....

We have never turned it around from losing so late in the day is what i meant - just never happens

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The first goal was lucky. The second was a brilliant move but overall our performance didnt deserve a victory or even a draw. 

We were quite poor most of the match. Wouldnt you agree?

Yeah, but how many times have we said that about goals against us?

We weren't great, but Norway were fucking shite.

For most of my life, other teams have done that to us. We now have a team that can do that to other people.

4 minutes ago, biffer said:

For most of my life, other teams have done that to us. We now have a team that can do that to other people.

Just to add to this, we seem to be the only country in Europe that thinks we don't deserve results like this. Everyone else celebrates it.

I'm fucking delighted and looking forward to Germany

19 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

And it was 2-2 for the last 30 minutes

I do remember that as i fell over a pub stool in the EK Tower Bar celebrating it ....

We have never turned it around from losing so late in the day is what i meant - just never happens

Was some fkin bounce in the pub tonight, I certainly won't be forgetting it in a hurry!

12 minutes ago, biffer said:

We have been unlucky in the past but often its was more a case of us being a poor side who couldnt get results. We look alot better these days but we cant always expect luck to be on our side.

Both teams looked poor tonight. Will need to up our game a bit if we want to beat georgia on tuesday.

I don't agree with view that we were lucky. It wasn't most free-flowung football ever, but performance roughly what I expected. A draw probably fair result on balance of play. Norway were hardly any better than us and did not create many chances despite higher possession. We defended well. Desire, belief, and poor defending from Norway won it for us in the end.

Sure it wasn't our greatest performance but if anything that makes the win more impressive. We showed immense heart to dig ourselves out of a hole and not only equalise but go on and get the winner too. Great spirit. Especially, when you consider tge roasting temperatures in a match at the end ofca long season in June.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Yeah i agree I dont think it was lucky at all. The referee was  a joke all night and got conned into giving a pen when Haaland threw himself to the ground.

Performance was really diciplined and defending was excellent keeping odegaard and haaland quiet. 

We dug in and got our reward. On to Georgia on Tuesday

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

not quite defeat, but snatch a victory, Lichtenstein I think 

55 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The first goal was lucky. The second was a brilliant move but overall our performance didnt deserve a victory or even a draw. 

We were quite poor most of the match. Wouldnt you agree?

That is a spectacular amount of bollocks talked right there in such a short post.