Potential Future Hampden - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Potential Future Hampden

Johnnyshaker

Found this on a reddit post from an architect's website: https://www.holmesmiller.com/project/hampden-stadium.

They seem to have a few football related projects in the project's section that have actually been built so we can dream I suppose although the first reply to the post was: "There will be human colonies on the moons of Saturn before Hampden looks like that" which is probably closer to the truth. 😂 😂 😂

Original Reddit post

I have met a few architects over the years who do these wee "hobby" designs on the side.... they are more for show so people can see their skills than something they have actually been commissioned to design (boy I went to Uni with literally did an entire portfolio of a upgrade of Celtic Park that he initially did to show at Job interviews, but became something of a passion project of his).

Give them credit, if we could ever get something like the stadium in Warsaw, that would be cracking..... problem is they are clearly aware there is height restriction with Hampden (I knew one of the guys who worked on the North Stand "box", and he was telling me all the hurdles they needed to go through to get that passed.... the houses on Somorville Road have to get so-and-so sunlight each day, and anything in the way would be against housing regulations) but they are unaware of the "stream" that flows under Hampden (there is a underground off-shoot from the Cathcart River that flows under the east side of the pitch that would make it hard to follow that idea).

this isn't a 'hobby' design though, website states the client is the SFA and it is an ongoing project.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

I have met a few architects over the years who do these wee "hobby" designs on the side.... they are more for show so people can see their skills than something they have actually been commissioned to design (boy I went to Uni with literally did an entire portfolio of a upgrade of Celtic Park that he initially did to show at Job interviews, but became something of a passion project of his).

Give them credit, if we could ever get something like the stadium in Warsaw, that would be cracking..... problem is they are clearly aware there is height restriction with Hampden (I knew one of the guys who worked on the North Stand "box", and he was telling me all the hurdles they needed to go through to get that passed.... the houses on Somorville Road have to get so-and-so sunlight each day, and anything in the way would be against housing regulations) but they are unaware of the "stream" that flows under Hampden (there is a underground off-shoot from the Cathcart River that flows under the east side of the pitch that would make it hard to follow that idea).

34 minutes ago, Boynze said:

this isn't a 'hobby' design though, website states the client is the SFA and it is an ongoing project.

Compare it to the PAOK Stadium and Windsor Park page (even Meadowbank gets a full run down), that goes in to great details of the project, while this offers nothing more than just two photos, and no brief on the project..... says to me is something they have mocked up that they either will present to the SFA when they announce future development.

When I went to Uni, I met a architect who came in to do a talk, and when I mentioned I was a Scotland fan, we got chatting and he told me that he worked on the 90's development for Hampden, and he showed me a concept he had designed for adding a roof structure to Hampden (it actually appeared in the Glasgow Herald at one point).

When I asked if there was any chance of it happening he said no, it was just a design he was interested in trying out and presenting to the SFA, but it never went beyond that.

Edited by wanderer

13 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

It looks like they have taken the design of the Allianz Arena in Munich, and dumped it in the south side of Glasgow....

If only we could.

IMO, the city of Munich has had two of the most extraordinary stadium designs ever built.

I would add Milan to those two. 

23 hours ago, wanderer said:

Compare it to the PAOK Stadium and Windsor Park page (even Meadowbank gets a full run down), that goes in to great details of the project, while this offers nothing more than just two photos, and no brief on the project..... says to me is something they have mocked up that they either will present to the SFA when they announce future development.

When I went to Uni, I met a architect who came in to do a talk, and when I mentioned I was a Scotland fan, we got chatting and he told me that he worked on the 90's development for Hampden, and he showed me a concept he had designed for adding a roof structure to Hampden (it actually appeared in the Glasgow Herald at one point).

When I asked if there was any chance of it happening he said no, it was just a design he was interested in trying out and presenting to the SFA, but it never went beyond that.

this project is a proper commission from the SFA though, not some plooky student playing around wth autocad...

can't see it happening myself, but they clearly are thinking of doing something, whether or not anything will happen remains to be seen...

21 minutes ago, Boynze said:

this project is a proper commission from the SFA though, not some plooky student playing around wth autocad...

can't see it happening myself, but they clearly are thinking of doing something, whether or not anything will happen remains to be seen...

I am just looking at it from a project management point of view, and the thing that stick out is if Lesser Hampden is being used as a scaling point (look at the vast difference in pitch sizes), it just does not work out anywhere close to the size they are implying.... also I can not get my head around have they lowered everything to the ground level of Hampden Car Park in front of the south stand, or raised everything to the level of Somerlea Road behind the North Stand.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:39 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

The only way I see major improvements made to Hampden is if we start qualifying regularly for tournaments again for a number of years and we have a number sell out fixtures.

Or co-host a World Cup and have cash thrown at it.

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65828702

Hello Scott Mullen, nice to know you read the TAMB!

LOL

On 6/8/2023 at 1:43 PM, wanderer said:

I am just looking at it from a project management point of view, and the thing that stick out is if Lesser Hampden is being used as a scaling point (look at the vast difference in pitch sizes), it just does not work out anywhere close to the size they are implying.... also I can not get my head around have they lowered everything to the ground level of Hampden Car Park in front of the south stand, or raised everything to the level of Somerlea Road behind the North Stand.

The scaling does look weird. And you're right Somerville Drive appears to have been lowered down to make the footprint level.

This design looks like it would require the full stadium to be flattened and the pitch moved south.

With what's been specified and given how much Spurs had to shell out, I wouldn't expect any change out of a billion quid for such a project.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:43 PM, wanderer said:

also I can not get my head around have they lowered everything to the ground level of Hampden Car Park in front of the south stand, or raised everything to the level of Somerlea Road behind the North Stand.

Looking at the plan below I had previously missed the small print.

HAMPDEN+INFO+GRAPHICS+DIAGRAM+_.jpg?form

It seems to imply there would be a raised platform behind the South Stand. Also parts of the current stand would be reused, which kiboshes my idea that the whole stadium would need to be demolished.

It’s a complete non starter. Total pie in the sky stuff

They can’t build up because it would never get the planning permission from the homeowners at the back of the north. They can’t build down because of the burn underneath. That’s quite frankly irrelevant thought because they couldn’t afford it. You’d not get much change out of around a billion quid 

Sell Hampden off. Knock it down for student flats, 15 minute cities or whatever draconian measures the elite have planned for us 

Offer to pay for an underground players entrance at Murrayfield so Scotland can still bid to host European finals. If they don’t want to host football then parkhead, Ibrox or a new stadium in the centre of Scotland 

Hampden was an embarrassment during the Euros compared to the other stadiums hosting. it’s not fit for purpose in the modern day era. An hour to get on a train. If you compare it to Wembley and your back at Big Ben within the hour and that’s leaving after full time

Murrayfield is 20 minutes walk from the centre of Edinburgh. Glasgow doesn’t even have an airport furfuxake never mind Rutherglen

Celtic end - Rangers end. It must be the only neutral stadium in the world where two teams are guaranteed their own sections

Fuck Scottish fitbaw. It’s a busted flush caused by the incompetent and corrupt cunts in charge

Fuck the lot of ye’s

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

They can’t build up because it would never get the planning permission from the homeowners at the back of the north. They can’t build down because of the burn underneath. That’s quite frankly irrelevant thought because they couldn’t afford it. You’d not get much change out of around a billion quid 

Sell Hampden off. Knock it down for student flats, 15 minute cities or whatever draconian measures the elite have planned for us 

Offer to pay for an underground players entrance at Murrayfield so Scotland can still bid to host European finals. If they don’t want to host football then parkhead, Ibrox or a new stadium in the centre of Scotland 

Hampden was an embarrassment during the Euros compared to the other stadiums hosting. it’s not fit for purpose in the modern day era. An hour to get on a train. If you compare it to Wembley and your back at Big Ben within the hour and that’s leaving after full time

Murrayfield is 20 minutes walk from the centre of Edinburgh. Glasgow doesn’t even have an airport furfuxake never mind Rutherglen

Celtic end - Rangers end. It must be the only neutral stadium in the world where two teams are guaranteed their own sections

Fuck Scottish fitbaw. It’s a busted flush caused by the incompetent and corrupt cunts in charge

Fuck the lot of ye’s

Good to see you back.

On 6/11/2023 at 2:37 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

Fuck the lot of ye’s

Largely pish. 

From the BBC Sport site:
Redeveloping or reconfiguring Hampden Park is "not going to happen" in the current economic climate, Scottish FA chief executive Ian Maxwell has said.

Hampden Park is one of the venues included in a joint UK and Ireland bid to host the Euro 2028 finals.

And Maxwell is confident of success when governing body Uefa chooses between that and Turkey in October.

But he says "it's about doing what we can with what we've got" when it comes to patching up the current Hampden.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just a thought but I wonder how many extra rows of seats you would fit in by ripping out corporate boxes in the norrh stand?

Would need to be a lot to offset the hospitality revenue I imagine. 

Has anyone here had the pleasure of being in one of those? Seems quite unusual having hospitality remote from the main stand. Decent view though...

Club%20North%20View%203.16b6360f.jpg