Retirement...... - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, Mitre said:

58 is my target. Fingers crossed. 11 years to go.

I'm aiming for 60 which is 14 years away.  Not sure my pension will allow me to retire then however I've got a flat that I rent out so plan is to sell that once I hit 60 and effectively use that as a bridge till my pension is worth cashing in!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be working until my state pension kicks in which currently says 67, but will rise by then.

Feel like a donkey chasing a carrot on a stick.

Joined a gym getting myself fit, when / if I get to retire at 67 I want to be fit enough to enjoy it.

Got a private pension which I am paying in as much possible but the stock market has been poor.

Spoke to a financial advise and he said normally an investment should double every 10 years, now its 15 years.

If my pension pot doubles in the next 15, I should be ok ?

😅

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2023 at 10:00 AM, Fairbairn said:

I'm aiming for 60 which is 14 years away.  Not sure my pension will allow me to retire then however I've got a flat that I rent out so plan is to sell that once I hit 60 and effectively use that as a bridge till my pension is worth cashing in!

you might to to stay in that for 6 months to avoid CGT before you sell it - if rules are same as i recall - saying that is the income on that not better than the interest you would get from cash in savings - unless you just plan to dig into the capital  

On 10/24/2023 at 4:05 PM, GroundsKeeper said:

Will be working until my state pension kicks in which currently says 67, but will rise by then.

Feel like a donkey chasing a carrot on a stick.

Joined a gym getting myself fit, when / if I get to retire at 67 I want to be fit enough to enjoy it.

Got a private pension which I am paying in as much possible but the stock market has been poor.

Spoke to a financial advise and he said normally an investment should double every 10 years, now its 15 years.

If my pension pot doubles in the next 15, I should be ok ?

😅

if it is 67 for you now will remain 67 - will only increase for folk past a certain birth date I think  

re doubling pot in 15 years - really depends on inflation and the PPV - Purchasing Power Value of that money in 15 years - mines has paced around 7.5% per year this last 7 years - 71% increase in 7 years although was 100% at 1 stage ( i stopped contributions on this in 2015 due to switching contracts so easy to track ) 

financial advisers are salesmen so would take everything they say with pinch of salt (my bias is i worked in Bank 11 years and passed chartered banking exams, and many who didn't pass rolled into being financial advisers + back in the day they were recruiting anyone with no financial background like carpenters - my uncle was successful financial adviser but again his background was selling agricultural equipment in africa and mid east ) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The biggest fear of any man who retired, becoming a fat bastard !!! So this is me this morning back in the gym. Time to get back at it Ramy !!! 💪💪💪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿😂😂

1000003188.jpg

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

The biggest fear of any man who retired, becoming a fat bastard !!! So this is me this morning back in the gym. Time to get back at it Ramy !!! 💪💪💪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿😂😂

1000003188.jpg

Worse princess leia ever 😁

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2023 at 1:23 PM, dan cake said:

While I’m nowhere near retirement age the thought of never seeing anybody I work with ever again gives me great pleasure 

I'm the same hence the reason I work from home for the vast majority of the week. 

Yesterdays news suggests that lots of people are now retiring early in that 50-60 bracket.  Government has a real problem as it needs more people working later to fund state pension, nhs, etc.  if not, they put up tax which makes it even more unattractive to work and the cycle continues.

I am 60 this year but I can't see myself retiring yet. I have a stress free Civil Service job ( since 2019) so that's a big factor. In terms of savings/investments and pensions I could probably retire at 62 but then I have to think what the hell am I going to do now. Need to get some serious Independent financial advise though. 

If it helps anyone out as a potential option, my Mum works in a college and is considering applying for Voluntary Severance. Chances of being accepted for this are lower than other departments as she teaches a viable and in-demand course rather than the series of random unestablished vocations that snuck into further education in recent years. But if accepted, VS could tip the balance on her being able to retire a year earlier than planned. She will be 63 this year and hadn't had the chance to start building up a non state pension pot until 20 or so years ago when she started working full time.

Currently she is dragging out long term sick leave, mostly stress related due to the fact public colleges are trying to do so much more with less resources. So she is much keener to check out early than she might have been even a couple of years ago.

On 12/3/2023 at 8:23 AM, dan cake said:

While I’m nowhere near retirement age the thought of never seeing anybody I work with ever again gives me great pleasure 

That is one of the benefits of retirement. I have not set foot at my work since I retired nearly a year ago. I don't even keep in touch with anybody I worked with. 36 years, and I don't miss it one bit... 

19 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

That is one of the benefits of retirement. I have not set foot at my work since I retired nearly a year ago. I don't even keep in touch with anybody I worked with. 36 years, and I don't miss it one bit... 

I wonder if they’re has happy as you 🥳🥳🥳😜

2 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I can honestly say I know a couple who cannot wait to retire mate.... 

Come on Ramy answer the question, are they missing you as much as your missing them 😜

So here I am. Been working at the Ottawa International Airport as a Heavy Equipment Operator. It's been my dream job. I have been going to the airport for years just watching planes land and take off... I applied last April, got the job, started in November last year. It's a winter seasonal position so it works out brilliant... I finish in 2 weeks, then go back in November. Great money, benefits, and best of all I have restricted access to the airport grounds. I absolutely love it....

IMG_20240302_104812.jpg

11 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Come on Ramy answer the question, are they missing you as much as your missing them 😜

I have bumped into the lads now and again, and yes, they do miss my sense of humour, but are happy I have retired. All jokes aside, I was very well liked and respected at my work. I'm not the arsehole you all think I am..😂

4 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I have bumped into the lads now and again, and yes, they do miss my sense of humour, but are happy I have retired. All jokes aside, I was very well liked and respected at my work. I'm not the arsehole you all think I am..😂

I believe you Ramy but you really need to change your P.R. Company, they’re obviously making an arse of it 😜

So here I am. Been working at the Ottawa International Airport as a Heavy Equipment Operator. It's been my dream job. I have been going to the airport for years just watching planes land and take off... I applied last April, got the job, started in November last year. It's a winter seasonal position so it works out brilliant... I finish in 2 weeks, then go back in November. Great money, benefits, and best of all I have restricted access to the airport grounds. I absolutely love it....

Just got a message from a work mate. 2 lads I worked with who just retired, like me, passed away... One 63, the other 58. You really have to consider your health in your decision to retire. Is it worth the stress to stay employed, or take the hit and enjoy life. I am fortunate, and blessed, I have a good pension. It's all about quality of life. You never know when your number is up....

5 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Just got a message from a work mate. 2 lads I worked with who just retired, like me, passed away... One 63, the other 58. You really have to consider your health in your decision to retire. Is it worth the stress to stay employed, or take the hit and enjoy life. I am fortunate, and blessed, I have a good pension. It's all about quality of life. You never know when your number is up....

https://jech.bmj.com/content/74/5/473

Conclusion Early retirement was not associated with a higher risk of mortality. On-time retirement was associated with a higher risk of mortality, which might reflect the healthy worker effect. It is important to consider information on prior health and demographics when studying the association between retirement and mortality to avoid biased findings.