Retirement...... - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 minute ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

So retirement is brilliant. Went and got this done today. Fuck it !! 😉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

20230630_123805.jpg

Smashing Ramy! 
I can make out the upside doon headless giraffe, but what kind of snake is it? 😉

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Did you no play the pipes too? Something in my heid about you posting years ago about playing……? 🤨

Yes mate. Been piping over 30 years. I belong to the "Sons Of Scotland Pipes and Drums" here in Ottawa... Absolutely love playing my Pipes, so the tattoo means alot to me...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿❤️

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Good for you Ramy, looks like you are loving retirement and smashing it.  

Only live once mate. I worked hard for 36 years, so time to enjoy life big man...🙂🍺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Starting to get edgy now..

Back from Scotland, now the days are getting long, I was told this would happen. I fish, play wee bit golf, but I an missing work believe it or not. Drive Mrs.Ramy to work every morning, then I get home, and the boredom starts, no joke. So I think I am going to look for a part time job to keep me occupied. I have always been a hard worker, so I now know I am not a person to do nothing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being retired, I just miss working. I know it sounds ridiculous, but my mates that have retired all said I would go through this stage. So maybe work at a Hardware shop, golf course, I don't know, but I need to find something...

Interesting reading this thread.  I'm now 71 and sort of semi retired, picking and choosing which jobs I take on.  Mortgage paid off a few years ago, and get a state pension which is a pittance compared to most of the civilised world, and also have income from premises that were my old office, bought in 1987 with a loan and paid off as quickly as possible.  I put money into a personal pension fund for many years but it's difficult to put enough in and with the low returns an annuity wasn't an appealing prospect, so I used my fund to buy the other half of my building. It's currently vacant as the previous tenants have moved, so if you know any dentists looking to set up in Dumfries in a ready-to-use 5 chair surgery in a prime location, let me know!  The rental income way outperforms anything I could have got from an annuity or other means of monetising my fairly modest pension fund.

I now spend a lot of my time looking after our wee Cockapoo, bought against my will and of course she adopted me and goes everywhere with me - currently stretched out on the landing sleeping.  Go for a long walk with the dog most days, do most of the cooking, play football once a week (supposed to be walking football but it's just football but a bit slower), try to maintain the garden, about to construct a greenhouse, there is so much to do that I don't have enough time.  Take as many holidays as possible. Never watch daytime TV. Season ticket holder at Cappielow.  Recently had lens replacement surgery and have thrown away my glasses - amazing what a difference it has made to be able to see perfectly (better than 20:20 I'm told).

I'm lucky because I am still reasonably healthy, but having an income over and above the state pension does help - I'd hate to have to live on the state pension without any other income.  It's obscene compared to most other countries - another result of people voting No in 2014.

Have an income to live on and most importantly a lovely home. Assured tenancy. Written off early due to health circumstances, but think I’m bloody lucky in life. 
World circumstances bother me more than my own. I do reckon our qualifying for next summer is more likely than mainland Europe being in a fit state to host an international tournament. Hope I’m wrong and societal breakdown holds off another wee bit. 
am already planning a few weeks around Germany for this time next year. Never planned for anything, so likely we get the apocalypse in June 

6 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Back from Scotland, now the days are getting long, I was told this would happen. I fish, play wee bit golf, but I an missing work believe it or not. Drive Mrs.Ramy to work every morning, then I get home, and the boredom starts, no joke. So I think I am going to look for a part time job to keep me occupied. I have always been a hard worker, so I now know I am not a person to do nothing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being retired, I just miss working. I know it sounds ridiculous, but my mates that have retired all said I would go through this stage. So maybe work at a Hardware shop, golf course, I don't know, but I need to find something...

Its not surprising Ramy after all those years working. However loads of people i know that are retired say they dont know how they ever had time for work and I am sure you will be the same once you find the right thing. 
I think you would make a cheery wee meeter and greeter at Canada’s equivalent of B&Q 😊

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Its not surprising Ramy after all those years working. However loads of people i know that are retired say they dont know how they ever had time for work and I am sure you will be the same once you find the right thing. 
I think you would make a cheery wee meeter and greeter at Canada’s equivalent of B&Q 😊

🤣. I'm on it TD..👍

5 hours ago, Alibi said:

Interesting reading this thread.  I'm now 71 and sort of semi retired, picking and choosing which jobs I take on.  Mortgage paid off a few years ago, and get a state pension which is a pittance compared to most of the civilised world, and also have income from premises that were my old office, bought in 1987 with a loan and paid off as quickly as possible.  I put money into a personal pension fund for many years but it's difficult to put enough in and with the low returns an annuity wasn't an appealing prospect, so I used my fund to buy the other half of my building. It's currently vacant as the previous tenants have moved, so if you know any dentists looking to set up in Dumfries in a ready-to-use 5 chair surgery in a prime location, let me know!  The rental income way outperforms anything I could have got from an annuity or other means of monetising my fairly modest pension fund.

I now spend a lot of my time looking after our wee Cockapoo, bought against my will and of course she adopted me and goes everywhere with me - currently stretched out on the landing sleeping.  Go for a long walk with the dog most days, do most of the cooking, play football once a week (supposed to be walking football but it's just football but a bit slower), try to maintain the garden, about to construct a greenhouse, there is so much to do that I don't have enough time.  Take as many holidays as possible. Never watch daytime TV. Season ticket holder at Cappielow.  Recently had lens replacement surgery and have thrown away my glasses - amazing what a difference it has made to be able to see perfectly (better than 20:20 I'm told).

I'm lucky because I am still reasonably healthy, but having an income over and above the state pension does help - I'd hate to have to live on the state pension without any other income.  It's obscene compared to most other countries - another result of people voting No in 2014.

Thats a nice post.

Lots going on without too much responsibility, I think thats what most folk would wish for in retirement . 
I can’t imagine your premises will stay vacant for long its hard to get a dentist taking on new NHS patients now they are so busy. 
Totally understand how you feel about your cockapoo. Daughter has one and we watch him regularly. I never needed any persuading but my husband wasn’t too keen on dogs. He is coming round though, its funny to see the change in his attitude. 

The only blight on your post is that season ticket for Cappielow. Tut tut …shakes head 😊

3 hours ago, Shaundy said:

70% tax on a litre Whisky means I’m still high bracket taxpayer. Can’t be right.

Mate, I'm retired and paying £400 a month in taxes off my pension cheque. Fuckin disgrace... Work my entire life, pay taxes, pay into my pension, then get fucked right up the arse by the government when I retire !!! 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Thats a nice post.

Lots going on without too much responsibility, I think thats what most folk would wish for in retirement . 
I can’t imagine your premises will stay vacant for long its hard to get a dentist taking on new NHS patients now they are so busy. 
Totally understand how you feel about your cockapoo. Daughter has one and we watch him regularly. I never needed any persuading but my husband wasn’t too keen on dogs. He is coming round though, its funny to see the change in his attitude. 

The only blight on your post is that season ticket for Cappielow. Tut tut …shakes head 😊

Sadly I won't be able to make the "Communities Cup" (?) game against your Skunks on Saturday - I have to look after Dolly the Cockapoo and I can't leave her on her own for that long.  I don't think it's the done thing to take your dog to football matches these days.  Anyway I'd be worried some St Mirren fans would see her as a nice change from rat for tea  :)

4 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Mate, I'm retired and paying £400 a month in taxes off my pension cheque. Fuckin disgrace... Work my entire life, pay taxes, pay into my pension, then get fucked right up the arse by the government when I retire !!! 

Muck fee, £400 tax OFF your pension cheque! That’s nearly my Whisky tax. You’re obviously minted bud. 
Look forward to meeting you on the luxury old bastard tour.

an aside. Met a young guy minding the entry to a college this evening. Had a few years in the military and mentioned he had 32 years till retirement 😬. Thirty two years ffs. 
There are still folk thinking we’re gonna be ( well, not me obvs) societally carrying on in a way similar to now in 2056 !? Gimme 15 months please 

13 hours ago, Alibi said:

Sadly I won't be able to make the "Communities Cup" (?) game against your Skunks on Saturday - I have to look after Dolly the Cockapoo and I can't leave her on her own for that long.  I don't think it's the done thing to take your dog to football matches these days.  Anyway I'd be worried some St Mirren fans would see her as a nice change from rat for tea  :)

😂😂 cheeky bassa, wash your mouth out with soap. Oh sorry, you lot dont do soap do you 😁

I dont know what made me laugh more, being called a Skunk or you having a dug called Dolly 😂 

Talking of dogs and rats, my daughters dog was too hot during that warm period, she had to get his hair cut as it was getting matted. Look at the nick of this ‘before and after’ . Poor wee thing 😂

a9d134d8-b9bb-484b-8620-67a33094470b.thumb.jpeg.66cff3836985a8f5570515cc8cf65fdb.jpeg

My daughter decided to call her Dolly as when she was wee, her favourite film was Hello Dolly, and she's also a big fan of Dolly Parton.  I take her (Dolly, not my daughter) to get her coat trimmed every couple of months and she comes out looking bald, just like your photo above.  The curls grow back in about a week.  Cockapoos seem to be very good natured dogs and they love human company.  She's curled up on the bed at the moment having a wee snooze before her afternoon walk.  Better than working & good exercise.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

My daughter decided to call her Dolly as when she was wee, her favourite film was Hello Dolly, and she's also a big fan of Dolly Parton.  I take her (Dolly, not my daughter) to get her coat trimmed every couple of months and she comes out looking bald, just like your photo above.  The curls grow back in about a week.  Cockapoos seem to be very good natured dogs and they love human company.  She's curled up on the bed at the moment having a wee snooze before her afternoon walk.  Better than working & good exercise.

Well its certainly better than being named after a Rangers player thats for sure. My daughters boyfriend wanted to call him Alfredo but she was having none of that and they compromised on Alfie. There was not a hope in hell of me shouting on ‘Alfredo’ 🙄

You are right, they are very affectionate and love company. We had a party for my daughter’s graduation a couple of weeks ago and there was a lot of people at the house. A lot of dogs would have disappeared into a room with so many strangers. But he was desperate to be involved, whining anytime he got put in the house when it was too warm outside for him. He brings a shoe to absolutely anyone who comes to the door 😂

On 7/3/2023 at 6:00 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

That’s perfectly understandable after all these years m8. There’s the initial buzz of retirement then all the excitement and planning of what next and how to celebrate.

Inevitably there’s a come down or a point where day to day reality hits in. Give it some time and be patient with yourself and others.

Above all, keep us all updated, you’ve done a brilliant job so far and a lot of guys and girls on here will come to the same point you are at now in the near future, so we are all rooting for you 👍

Edited by slasher

On 7/3/2023 at 6:30 PM, Alibi said:

Outstanding post m8 👏

Keep on keeping on 👍

2 minutes ago, slasher said:

That’s perfectly understandable after all these years m8. There’s the initial buzz of retirement then all the excitement and planning of what next and how to celebrate.

Inevitably there’s a come down or a point where day to day reality hits in. Give it some time and be patient with yourself and others.

Above all, keep us all updated, you’ve done a brilliant job so far and a lot of guys and girls on here will come to the same point you are at now in the near future, so we are all rooting for you 👍

Awe cheers mate. Even today I am feeling lost. Cannae get motivated, but I cut the grass again..🤣. I have applied for a couple paer time jobs to keep busy. I have been playing my Bagpipes nearly everyday, at the airport where my wife works so my neighbors don't shoot me.. I'll be fine Slasher. It's like you said, it's a world I have never experienced, so it will take time ro get used to it.. I do enjoy the mornings having coffee with my wife then driving her to work. Fucking watching Sky Sports all day, even watching the Cricket now !! 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Awe cheers mate. Even today I am feeling lost. Cannae get motivated, but I cut the grass again..🤣. I have applied for a couple paer time jobs to keep busy. I have been playing my Bagpipes nearly everyday, at the airport where my wife works so my neighbors don't shoot me.. I'll be fine Slasher. It's like you said, it's a world I have never experienced, so it will take time ro get used to it.. I do enjoy the mornings having coffee with my wife then driving her to work. Fucking watching Sky Sports all day, even watching the Cricket now !! 🤣🤣🤣

I might have mentioned this previously but I found autumn/winter the worst time, its cold, dark for a long time of the day and you cant get outside because of the weather to do stuff.I travelled for a while the first few months but soon realised that was eating into the lump sum.As for the motivation thing I realised that the longer you do nothing you tend to fall into the cant be arsed doing anything,I went from cycling 12 miles a day for 4 days (back and fore to work) doing laps of my streets on the other nights and played 5's/7's after coming off of my last nightshift to doing nothing much harder than walking and even then that was to the shops/pub/mithers.

I have found a nice wee part time job as a handyman at a complex near me 20 hrs a week, walk it in 8 mins and can please myself how the 20 hrs are made up and it still leaves me time to look out the front window in the morning hands clasped behind my back watching the traffic go by...so you definitely need something to occupy yourself.

I'm now also the unofficial handyman for all the old dears in the street and the unofficial pavement gritter in winter

2 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

I might have mentioned this previously but I found autumn/winter the worst time, its cold, dark for a long time of the day and you cant get outside because of the weather to do stuff.I travelled for a while the first few months but soon realised that was eating into the lump sum.As for the motivation thing I realised that the longer you do nothing you tend to fall into the cant be arsed doing anything,I went from cycling 12 miles a day for 4 days (back and fore to work) doing laps of my streets on the other nights and played 5's/7's after coming off of my last nightshift to doing nothing much harder than walking and even then that was to the shops/pub/mithers.

I have found a nice wee part time job as a handyman at a complex near me 20 hrs a week, walk it in 8 mins and can please myself how the 20 hrs are made up and it still leaves me time to look out the front window in the morning hands clasped behind my back watching the traffic go by...so you definitely need something to occupy yourself.

I'm now also the unofficial handyman for all the old dears in the street and the unofficial pavement gritter in winter

That's a great post, and exactly the advice I need. I have a great job lined up for the winter doing surface operations at the airport, so I will be fine. I am also buying a snowmobile..🤣👍

• 3 weeks later...

I'm fancying retiring at age 55 - 52 just now - original plan was 52 but ended up in USA for 4 years from Cape Town - relocating back to Scotland next year

6 Months in Scotland and 6 Months in Cape Town is plan 

occupy time in Scotland with helping brother on his farm or Scotland trips (built up 670K KLM Airmiles so should be good for 30 trips)

CPT time spent on razzle or driving aboot in my Defender 110 which has a roof tent  

certainly need something to occupy time