Retirement...... - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On 4/5/2023 at 3:15 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Well done Ramy

I'm 55 too and albeit retired

I am currently on a "career break" as i'm caring full time for my Dad who is 92 - still on the books but dont get any wages

I took partial retirement when i was 51 and my work pension is £400 a month & that will be it till i get my state pension

My Aunt sadly passed away 5 months ago - me and my cousin are the beneficiaries of her estate 50/50 - and we are waiting on the solicitors finalising it. She was loaded 

We will get fucked with 40% Inheritance tax on everything above £325,000 though 

But it should be enough so i dont need to work again  

If any of that is a Pension Pot, try and get it moved to your/cousins Pension Pot to avoid IHT - there is a joke that only poor people pay IHT because "rich people" financially plan for it - there are also certain types of assets not subject to IHT but that will be few, and some linked to agriculture, but you never know - sometimes solicitors can only act on what is advised to them, so do not assume they have perfect information 

Edited by euan2020

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Thank you pal.. 😉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Hopefully nae far behind you, on the wind down now & started part time on Friday 😁maybe do it for 2 years then retire & wait a year for my massive state pension 👍

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Me and Mrs.Ramy on the plane on our way to Nova Scotia... The way it should be.. Happy Retirement Ramy...🙂🙂🙂✈️✈️✈️✈️

20230422_144323.jpg

You sure you’re nae her granddad 😜

bit late to this but... I retired 7 years ago at 55 ,standard retirement age from the fire service,my pension is a public sector pension and is protected  as in its guaranteed for the rest of my life and every wage rise the service gets my pension rises in line.God bless the FBU....

anyway, the first year of retirement consisted of me and the wife travelling a lot abroad and basically not doing a lot.winter time was the worst time as obvs, oop north its cold and dark for a long time.We started rattling through the lump sum by helping the kids that needed it to get on the property ladder plus a wedding so I decided to get a wee part time job to fill in my time and stabilise the finances.I wanted something that required little thought and just to turn up and do the job as towards the end of my FS career it was very stressful and I always said that after retirement I was going to take it easy mentally.

I got a job 16 hrs a week with M&S basically unloading the lorrys at the local store,however of the jobs I have had since leaving school at 15 this company is the worst I have ever had the misfortune to work for I have no idea why people rave about this place..but thats a story for another day.

I left there and now work as a handyman 2 days a week for a company that leases flats,I can walk to work in 10 mins,I can change my hours to suit (2 grandchildren now)

all in all 55 is probably too young to retire completely and in hindsight I should have stayed on in the fire service till I was 60 but I had burned my boats in that regard (another story) 

Anyway 7 years on I'm still alive ,travel a lot,play golf in the summer,probably too much weekday drinking,I've gone down to a 30" waist first time since 1987,( I went vegetarian 5 years ago after one particularly horrible food poisoning from a Bishopton takeaway) although the leather trousers I bought in 1980 with a 28" waist are still in the loft...

Happy retirement Ramy.

I retired last August, aged 56, after 35 yrs service at an Edinburgh based Life Office. Non contributory, Final salary pension, which I moved to a SIPP 4 years ago.  

Started work at 21 and one of the old boys told me I had the best pension in the industry. Never meant much to me at the time, but now realise how lucky I was, allowing me to retire at 56.

SIPP had been doing fantasticly well up until Putin decided to be an idiot,  but still enough to be financially comfortable. 

Have been taking things easy last 9 months, wife still works. Has allowed me to follow Scotland on away trips now with grandson (19), which is great. TA trips to Norway & Cyprus coming up with other family trips in between. 

On 4/23/2023 at 4:56 PM, Silversand said:

Happy retirement Ramy.

I retired last August, aged 56, after 35 yrs service at an Edinburgh based Life Office. Non contributory, Final salary pension, which I moved to a SIPP 4 years ago.  

Started work at 21 and one of the old boys told me I had the best pension in the industry. Never meant much to me at the time, but now realise how lucky I was, allowing me to retire at 56.

SIPP had been doing fantasticly well up until Putin decided to be an idiot,  but still enough to be financially comfortable. 

Have been taking things easy last 9 months, wife still works. Has allowed me to follow Scotland on away trips now with grandson (19), which is great. TA trips to Norway & Cyprus coming up with other family trips in between. 

Brilliant, well done mate. Sounds like you are similar to me with the age.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 9:21 AM, TDYER63 said:

5 years will fly by Slasher. I started seriously wanting to go at 55 and Mr Tidy downloaded a retirement app at that time. He gets a text every day. I remember it clearly as it used to go off in the middle of the night and would drive me mad . 
‘ You have 4 years, 8 months, 3 days , 18 hours, 22 mins and 12 seconds to retire ment ! Accompanied by a corny phrase like ‘Honey , I am home . Forever !’ 
I was thinking fuck, if that thing continues to go off at 2am he will be GONE forever. 
And here we are, only 9 months away now.

On 4/6/2023 at 10:01 AM, slasher said:

😂 That’s one app I won’t be downloading!

Yesterdays quote. Think I might start posting these every day 😁.

85052D2C-D301-4C35-BE0A-772F5337F946.thumb.jpeg.7087b2a7781ed70e70248d6f41bde32c.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I'm so blessed. 3 weeks in Scotland, back in Ottawa, drove Mrs.Ramy to work, and now I'm out fishing l. I love retirement, feel guilty though to be honest. The amount of folk I spoke to on my holiday that are older than me, and can't retire is fuckin disgrace..

Just now, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I'm so blessed. 3 weeks in Scotland, back in Ottawa, drove Mrs.Ramy to work, and now I'm out fishing l. I love retirement, feel guilty though to be honest. The amount of folk I spoke to on my holiday that are older than me, and can't retire is fuckin disgrace..

20230626_120251.jpg

On 6/29/2023 at 8:22 AM, weekevie04 said:

Excellent Ramy, your enthusiasm for life is fantastic. Its the only way to live, bigman. Never too late to start a new interest or hobby.

Will you get across for the Euros 2024 (IF - I'll no tempt fate yet ; but looking good - we qualify?)

Awe cheers Kev pal. I love life now that I'm retired. Fuckin do what you want, life is short.... I will be over again next year..😉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿