France WC 2023 - Page 9 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

France WC 2023

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

We’re ranked higher than England yet they won't play anyone with a realistic chance of winning it until the semis.  We'd have had to beat 3 potential winners probably to even get there. 

I can see England winning it to be honest- they're skint and this tournament has the credibility of WWE.

I’ve got bored of all the moans about the draw.  

At the end of the day - if you want to be the best, you go and beat the best. Otherwise, what are we complaining about? Annoyed that we’ve been denied an easy route to a QF to fluff up our egos and then get knocked out? 

Even the commentary toward the end saying some shite about Scotland needing to make a go of the 6nations since the WC was always gonna be difficult. Well, why should we expect to be any better in 6N considering Ireland have just horsed us. 

41 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

And Ireland have their QF hoodoo to think about. Ireland are a great team and they have shown that they can beat NZ, but the All Blacks can, and often do, win games that they don't deserve to. I think whoever wins that one will win the WC. Hope so anyway because they will probably be playing against England in the final. 

Surely SA would be favourites to make the final on that side. 

Hopefully an Ireland v SA final. 

Just now, AlfieMoon said:

I’ve got bored of all the moans about the draw.  

At the end of the day - if you want to be the best, you go and beat the best. Otherwise, what are we complaining about? Annoyed that we’ve been denied an easy route to a QF to fluff up our egos and then get knocked out? 

Even the commentary toward the end saying some shite about Scotland needing to make a go of the 6nations since the WC was always gonna be difficult. Well, why should we expect to be any better in 6N considering Ireland have just horsed us. 

Swap us with England and I'd be gutted not making the semis.  Once we've made the semis we've two games to win the fucking thing against teams who'd had to beat England  South Africa, NZ, France to get there whereas we'd be relatively fresh by comparison. England so far have beat Argentina, Dog n Duck and next up Fiji.  Its a farce.

The draw for the group stages was December 2020 ffs - that's mental!

21 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Swap us with England and I'd be gutted not making the semis.  Once we've made the semis we've two games to win the fucking thing against teams who'd had to beat England  South Africa, NZ, France to get there whereas we'd be relatively fresh by comparison. England so far have beat Argentina, Dog n Duck and next up Fiji.  Its a farce.

The draw for the group stages was December 2020 ffs - that's mental!

You’re kidding yourself with envy if you think we could’ve done any damage. 

We got trounced by Japan 4 years ago and have lost 2 of the last 4 against Argentina. Being envious of England’s draw just reeks of a lack of acceptance that we’re just not good enough. 

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Really stupid lack of discipline. Schoemann in particular is a lucky boy.

If it's the one over hordings I think he was well within his rights. The Irish guy went for him 🤔

My Irish neebors had a BBQ (20 degrees here) for the big game.

I stopped watching at 17-0 to go the the kitchen and drink a few beers with a couple of Irish lads who weren't interested.

My (ignorant) take is that Scotland just don't have the mentality. They might talk a good game, but the Irish have called them out on their big-talk shite, and they're not wrong.

Get Townsend TF

8 hours ago, Dave78 said:

My Irish neebors had a BBQ (20 degrees here) for the big game.

I stopped watching at 17-0 to go the the kitchen and drink a few beers with a couple of Irish lads who weren't interested.

My (ignorant) take is that Scotland just don't have the mentality. They might talk a good game, but the Irish have called them out on their big-talk shite, and they're not wrong.

Get Townsend TF

I don’t know the specifics about the structures of Scottish rugby but I know there’s a lot of debate and criticisms. Posh boys sport, private school centric, and so on.  

One thing to note is that Ireland with a smaller population has 2.5x as many registered players participating in rugby across the country compared to Scotland. 

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

I don’t know the specifics about the structures of Scottish rugby but I know there’s a lot of debate and criticisms. Posh boys sport, private school centric, and so on.  

One thing to note is that Ireland with a smaller population has 2.5x as many registered players participating in rugby across the country compared to Scotland. 

That might have been true a couple of decades ago but I don't think it is now. I think they are up to about 7 million now?

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Aye, the player pool disparity is huge...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rugby_union_playing_countries

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That might have been true a couple of decades ago but I don't think it is now. I think they are up to about 7 million now?

That's right. RoI population is booming, Scotland stagnating.

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

Some of the young lads coming through in the football especially of Nigerian descent look very promising for Ireland.

Not a huge rugby fan, but no complaints, Ireland the better team (and country even) I hope they go on and win it.

2 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Historically rugby has never been that popular a sport throughout Scotland. It used to be quite big in the Borders, but not really anywhere else. Football has always been the big sport in Scotland. More recently folk seem to be moving more towards watching it rather than playing it. Outside of football, I think Scottish folk seem to be keener on more sedentary "sports" like golf, fishing, bowls, darts, watching TV, moaning like fuk on the internet. We are quite a slob of a nation really.

I think there is a huge difference in participation levels in sport in general between young Irish folk and Scots. In Ireland a lot of youngsters play two or three (or even more) different sports until they find one they really enjoy or are good at. In Scotland loads of youngsters do almost nothing at all. I blame Thatcher for that.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Historically rugby has never been that popular a sport throughout Scotland. It used to be quite big in the Borders, but not really anywhere else. Football has always been the big sport in Scotland. More recently folk seem to be moving more towards watching it rather than playing it. Outside of football, I think Scottish folk seem to be keener on more sedentary "sports" like golf, fishing, bowls, darts, watching TV, moaning like fuk on the internet. We are quite a slob of a nation really.

I think there is a huge difference in participation levels in sport in general between young Irish folk and Scots. In Ireland a lot of youngsters play two or three (or even more) different sports until they find one they really enjoy or are good at. In Scotland loads of youngsters do almost nothing at all. I blame Thatcher for that.

Good post 

On 10/7/2023 at 7:57 PM, Ally Bongo said:

These things come in 3s - Politics, Rugby and then Football later this week

It's possible that Lisa Cameron is the number 3 taking the pressure off the football team

Edited by Ally Bongo

Ireland the better and higher ranked side but get assistance from the ref anyway

Spain the better and higher ranked side but get assistance from the ref anyway

Shit week for scottish sport

On 10/12/2023 at 5:24 PM, morrie21 said:

I did a path to the final prediction article as my Editor at SportsLook asked for it.

I have a northern hemisphere clean sweep this weekend and my prediction journey ends with Ireland narrowly defeating France in the final.

1 game down.,....

1 northern hemisphere down..