The Referree / Var thread.. - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Referree / Var thread..

19 hours ago, CumbernauldJag said:

Don't think either of them were penalties. If that's the standard of VAR then what's the point?

Couldn't agree more, I didn't see the Partick yin but the Rangers one was NEVER a pen, and for VAR to STILL give it, if it wasn't so fkin tragic it'd be funny. Are these guys actually sitting there saying "reckon we can get away with this one" rather than actually dealing with what's blatantly in front of them!? 

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Couldn't agree more, I didn't see the Partick yin but the Rangers one was NEVER a pen, and for VAR to STILL give it, if it wasn't so fkin tragic it'd be funny. Are these guys actually sitting there saying "reckon we can get away with this one" rather than actually dealing with what's blatantly in front of them!? 

Well explained indeed...

5 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Did not see the match today but read Celtic had a goal called off and folk saying VAR correct call. Tavernier had a penalty, shocker, no idea if correct call or not. Any other VAR incidents today. 

Rangers was a correct call. Madness decision by defender pulling Moreles shirt when he wasnt even going to win the header. A suptle shirt pull would have been fine but he held it for way too long and it was lifted so you could see about 2 inch of Moreles' midrift.

25 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Rangers was a correct call. Madness decision by defender pulling Moreles shirt when he wasnt even going to win the header. A suptle shirt pull would have been fine but he held it for way too long and it was lifted so you could see about 2 inch of Moreles' midrift.

👍

5 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Be interested in the Vassell red. We left Easter Road in a strop when that was given. Not normally one to leave early but we were utter shite and that looked nonsense. I said yellow straight away but never red, surely? It was a high boot, yes, but no intent, contact, out of control? 

Just watched it on Sportscene. Utter joke of a decision which will hopefully be successfully appealed against. 

4 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Not watched the video but guessing it’s the Rangers penalty from Saturday. My take on is if it goes against you it’s soft but if it’s your striker getting tugged like that (fnarr) everyone of us would be shouting for it. 

Martindale was saying Morales was not in a position to score, so should not have been a penalty.. I have not seen it, so cannot comment. Another arguable rule. Hard tug, wee tug, Morales is chubby, I diunae know...🤣

4 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Martindale was saying Morales was not in a position to score, so should not have been a penalty.. I have not seen it, so cannot comment. Another arguable rule. Hard tug, wee tug, Morales is chubby, I diunae know...🤣

How can you possibly say it’s questionable if you haven’t seen it?

And Martindale is talking nonsense. The ball was about 6 inches away from Morelos when his shirt was pulled. He probably wouldn’t have got to it but that’s entirely irrelevant in this case.  If it was a foul, which by the letter of the law it probably was, then it’s a penalty.

How many times do you see players fouled when running away from goal and get a penalty. They’re “not in a position to score” yet it’s a foul.

There’s enough issues with our refs and VAR without trying to make contentious issues out of one’s that aren’t. 

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

How can you possibly say it’s questionable if you haven’t seen it?

And Martindale is talking nonsense. The ball was about 6 inches away from Morelos when his shirt was pulled. He probably wouldn’t have got to it but that’s entirely irrelevant in this case.  If it was a foul, which by the letter of the law it probably was, then it’s a penalty.

How many times do you see players fouled when running away from goal and get a penalty. They’re “not in a position to score” yet it’s a foul.

There’s enough issues with our refs and VAR without trying to make contentious issues out of one’s that aren’t. 

Thats it exactly. Does my nut when those within the game, whether it be managers or pundits dont even know the rules.

This was as clear as day. As I said at the time, Moreles was not going to win the header because the Livi defender was tall and was in the better position. However that only makes the decision by the other Livi player (who can see all of this) even worse. Its not even a subtle tug of the shirt which players get away with all the time. He grabs the top and holds onto it, even when Moreles jumps he still has a hold of it which just makes it look even worse.

Must say, ive only seen the Vassells one briefly but it looked like a red ti me. Although I stand to be corrected but his foot was really high and clearly endangering an opponent who was in front of him. The one from the weekend thats not really had much made of it which surpised me was in the Chelsea match.

I was watching it real time and I was certain he would get sent off. Southampton guy goes for an overhead kick from a corner when he knows he is being marked and the ball was at a height and in a position where the Chelsea player could, does and would be expected to head it. He then full on overhead kicks the Chelsea player in the face. How the hell is that not out of control and endangering an opponent?

13 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

A fouls a foul wherever it happens & if the foul is in the box it’s a penalty goal scoring chance or not. I haven’t seen the Livi incident so can’t comment on it.

46 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

The rangers penalty was correct but that must be one of the softest fouls ever & to get a yellow & red because of it was disgraceful, on the plus side if it doesn’t get rescinded he can’t play against Aberdeen 😁

I'm not sure the ref had any option other than to issue the second yellow.  It was a ridiculous challenge to make given he was on a yellow, the position Roofe was in and the fact there was another Livi defender in a better decision.  I'm not really sure the boy can have many complaints.

5 hours ago, Debian said:

To Martindale's point; this should be a scenario where VAR can see it's a foul and be consistent with its approach.  

It's a penalty, even if he isn't going to score.

Think you hit the nail on the head there Debian. "Consistency" It's only the first season with VAR, they will have plenty of opportunities to sort this out in the off season. Hopefully they get it right for the benefit of all involved !!