"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park

Bzzzz

13 hours ago, Sempre said:

A U.K. & Ireland bid wouldn't actually be that bad an idea, if it:-

a) Was the World Cup

b) Wasn't just England with some token stadiums from the others.

Not interested, it's bordering a "British" tournament. Fk that. 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only advantages I would think are worthwhile would be if

1) Hampden got a proper redevelopment. Ie the ends brought in.

2) We got automatic qualification for a major tournament.

Its sounds like we will get neither of those things so wheres the benefit?

Agree. Get this to ***

Managed to get to all the Euro group games last summer. 

Hampden has had its moment.

I hate “joint” bids and let’s be honest the other 4 countries have been suckered in as the English bid is weak due to those shambolic euro final policing. 

Hope it fails.

Edited by GaryWood34

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I won't be bothered if we don't get it. We won't get much anyhow, scraps of the rich man's table.

If we qualify our 3 group games would presumably be at Hampden unless we get another home nation or Ireland. 

Didn't do us much good last time to be fair. 

10 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I won't be bothered if we don't get it. We won't get much anyhow, scraps of the rich man's table.

With the final at Wembley, there is a good chance Hampden will get the opening ceremony (if its a joint bid, the opening ceremony and final have to be in separate stadiums) and Hampden will get games right through to the semi-finals.

I doubt any of the English club grounds will be used beyond the group stages, and will be the 5 national stadiums used from the last 16 onwards.

27 minutes ago, wanderer said:

With the final at Wembley, there is a good chance Hampden will get the opening ceremony (if its a joint bid, the opening ceremony and final have to be in separate stadiums) and Hampden will get games right through to the semi-finals.

I doubt any of the English club grounds will be used beyond the group stages, and will be the 5 national stadiums used from the last 16 onwards.

Is the final definitely at Wembley? I assumed so because it has the bigger capacity.

Re the opening Ceremony, I am not convinced Hampden would get it. The Aviva or Principality would have the same chance IMO. 

I am disappointed in the SFA for jumping into bed with this bid. a joint bid with Ireland, Northern Ireland and wales would have been better, if possible. 

Edited by vanderark14

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Is the final definitely at Wembley? I assumed so because it has the bigger capacity.

Re the opening Ceremony, I am not convinced Hampden would get it. The Aviva or Principality would have the same chance IMO. 

I am disappointed in the SFA for jumping into bed with this bid. a joint bid with Ireland, Northern Ireland and wales would have been better, if possible. 

Not confirmed, but its pretty easy to guess that it would be.

Imagine whoever hosts the opening ceremony will then find themselves unable to hold a semi-final.

Think its between Hamdpen, Cardiff and Dublin for the opening ceremony. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

100% it's a bit pathetic. 

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Can't wait for footballs coming home to take over as the unofficial anthem of the tournam🙄

Hopefully Turkey's bid is successful. Want nothing to do with this pish and for many more reasons than just this, it's the same as usual, fkin half arsed pish. 

26 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Hopefully Turkey's bid is successful. Want nothing to do with this pish and for many more reasons than just this, it's the same as usual, fkin half arsed pish. 

Have to agree . 
scraps off the table and trickle down are how UKers think Scotland should be grateful 

Country and city with still European records for attendance .

now half a dozen English clubs have larger grounds. 

M’on the Turkey 

1 hour ago, JECK said:

That new stadium in Belfast has got to be a joke - 34k capacity and considered for a major tourney, aye good one 

The stadium criteria for the euros is something like one stadium over 60k, 2 over 50k, 3 over 40k and 4 over 30k. 

Stadia with 30-40k capacities are not unusual at major tournaments. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

The stadium criteria for the euros is something like one stadium over 60k, 2 over 50k, 3 over 40k and 4 over 30k. 

Stadia with 30-40k capacities are not unusual at major tournaments. 

Pretty disappointed the SFA have agreed to tag on the coat tails of what is effectively an English bid, clearly only to do with £s and no doubt it'll be politicised to fuck.

It will not give any real decent opportunity to gather funding capable of raising the kind of significant upgrade that we dream of at Hampden. So what's the fkin point? we'd be better doing a combined Celtic bid or similar, surely the take from that would be huge in comparison. 

It'll just be a pile of English Britwank that we really shouldn't want any part of. 

As I said earlier in this topic, they only way the other nations should have taken part is if they ganged up and said no to London stadiums, no matches in England after group stages, and all QF, SF and Final in Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

However I suspect that didn't have the backbone and happy accepting the crumbs..

31 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Pretty disappointed the SFA have agreed to tag on the coat tails of what is effectively an English bid, clearly only to do with £s and no doubt it'll be politicised to fuck.

It will not give any real decent opportunity to gather funding capable of raising the kind of significant upgrade that we dream of at Hampden. So what's the fkin point? we'd be better doing a combined Celtic bid or similar, surely the take from that would be huge in comparison. 

It'll just be a pile of English Britwank that we really shouldn't want any part of. 

What I don’t understand is the host qualification situation. Do England expect to qualify automatically while the other 4 teams don’t even though 40% of the stadiums would be outside of England? 

2 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Agreed.  Having it in Turkey makes a lot more sense: they've the stadia, the football history/culture, and it would all be in one country large enough to accommodate a major tournament. They've also never hosted a major finals before, so there is a sense that it's their turn.

Unfortunately UEFA have a bee in their bonnet about Turkey. Given their human rights record leaves a lot to be desired (to say the least) I can understand why, but then we've just had a World Cup in fecking Qatar!  

43 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Also agreed. I'd have more respect if England just went it alone, instead of chucking a few crumbs to the Celtic fringes. This UK and Ireland shite is bordering on insulting.

The last Euros was almost ruined by the amount of games played at Wembley and the wall-to-wall fawning over the "Three Lions", this piece of nonsense would be like that on steroids.

24 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

What I don’t understand is the host qualification situation. Do England expect to qualify automatically while the other 4 teams don’t even though 40% of the stadiums would be outside of England? 

What they could do is put all five countries into a qualifying group, with the top two qualifying automatically. We could still have the Nations League thing going too, which might come into play for any side finishing outside the top two.

That's probably too easy though. In any case, I hope the Turkish bid succeeds.