September 2022 - Squad discussion thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

September 2022 - Squad discussion thread

romanticscot

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Gordon

Hendry. Mckenna.  Hickey

Paterson.         Mctominay.          Tierney

Gilmour.   McGregor

McGinn

Adams

Has Hickey ever played that position?

12 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Gordon

Hendry. Mckenna.  Hickey

Paterson.         Mctominay.          Tierney

Gilmour.   McGregor

McGinn

Adams

Maybe swap hickey and Tierney around. 

25 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Maybe swap hickey and Tierney around. 

I get what you are saying but im really concerned about us being toothless in attack that i think we need Patterson and Tierney as wide options.

Think Hickey could do exactly what Tierney has done and go into a back 3. Otherwise i dont see him getting played ahead of Patterson, Robbo or Tierney as wing back going forward. Ramsey, Ashby and Doig could also be options in years to come. 

3 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

I get what you are saying but im really concerned about us being toothless in attack that i think we need Patterson and Tierney as wide options.

Think Hickey could do exactly what Tierney has done and go into a back 3. Otherwise i dont see him getting played ahead of Patterson, Robbo or Tierney as wing back going forward. Ramsey, Ashby and Doig could also be options in years to come. 

It's great that we have so many wing back options that we are concerned about good players missing out. We also don't have to pin our hopes to Ashby, Doig or Ramsay. They can all quietly develop without us screaming for them to be fast-tracked.

On your other point, Tierney is a very effective attacking option from LCB. He'll get forward no matter what position he is in. In fact, he tends to get more space from LCB because the wing back is preoccupying a defender.

18 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Out Mclaughin, Brown and Hanley

In McCrorie 

I don't understand Clarke's reluctance to call people up.  Seems like a decent intro to be around things and observe what goes into our secret sauce.  No harm done if they don't get a game. Losing Hanley will be a big blow, we better not lose another defender.  Heck, call up Burke or Shankland for Brown. 

Edited by romanticscot

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I know he's uncapped but I would have brought Dominic Hyam in to replace Hanley.

Do not understand why he has not, that only leaves Mckenna, Hendry(10 mins of football) and Porteous(really not sure about personally) as actual Centre backs, so probably means back 3 of Mctominay, Mckenna and Tierney then. 

10 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Do not understand why he has not, that only leaves Mckenna, Hendry(10 mins of football) and Porteous(really not sure about personally) as actual Centre backs, so probably means back 3 of Mctominay, Mckenna and Tierney then. 

Hendry did also play ninety minutes of a cup game for Brugge before he left but, aye, it would have been better if he had played five or six full games before joining the squad.

I do think there is a some talent there in Porteous but he needs to get a grip on the obvious issues he has with impulsiveness and anger management.

10 minutes ago, csinclair said:

He should be calling up Hyam and bringing Conway in from the U21s

He got taken off injured at half-time on Saturday. Might have just been a precaution but no word on his availability yet.

On 9/18/2022 at 6:42 PM, thesaint said:

A draw at home to this Ireland side should never be acceptable. NEVER. Talk about setting the bar low. 

I would normally agree with that. But in this case it's not just about that one game. What's more important is winning the group and getting into pot 2 for the EURO draw. If (Big IF IMO) we can beat Ukraine tomorrow then the Ireland game becomes one of those weird games where there isn't much difference (qualification wise) between a win and a draw. Either way we would probably still need to go to Krakow and get at least a draw in the last game, unless Armenia can take something off Ukraine. We will know whether that has happened before we kick off against Ireland as Armenia vUkraine is an early kick off.

It would be great if Armenia could get take a point off Ukraine and we go into the Ireland game knowing a win would be enough. 

13 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I don't understand Clarke's reluctance to call people up.  Seems like a decent intro to be around things and observe what goes into our secret sauce.  No harm done if they don't get a game. Losing Hanley will be a big blow, we better not lose another defender.  Heck, call up Burke or Shankland for Brown. 

Yes I agree with this.

13 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Or mcburnie 🤔

4 hours ago, syecosse said:

Not sure if this is true or not but have heard that Gordon's wife is about to give birth, so may end up missing games.

Haud that baby Mrs Gordon !!!

32 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Clarke saying he might call up more players on wednesday

Late paperwork for a granny rule player perhaps ?

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Tommy Conway, Elliot Anderson & Leon King to be added.

Thats based on zero sources but would be good for experience if nothing else. 

One of the Bristol fitba journalists is now reporting that Clarke is considering adding Conway to the senior squad !