September 2022 - Squad discussion thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

September 2022 - Squad discussion thread

romanticscot

Can we discuss the potential squad before it is revealed.  i think we will have a squad of 25/26 with a triple header. 

I think with Patterson on 10 caps, and the emergence of the versatile Hickey - I think the time of Stephen O Donnell has passed and we can use that squad spot for another.

I am supportive of Lewis Morgan and Ryan Gauld to be called up.  If they are too far away, then Clarke needs to let that be known to have our talented players think twice about moving out of Europe.  I reckon Greg Taylor warrants a call up on merit, but definitely with Robertson out. I am also supportive of Oli Burke coming back in.   

Tommy Conway has also started the season really well.

What are you all wishing/hoping for? 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unpopular opinion incoming....

I would call time on Grant Hanley.

His pride, his commitment and his effort I cannot fault but nonetheless he's a major liability in my opinion. The frequent lapses in concentration, bad decision making, clumsiness and poor positioning are screwing us. Also, in contrast to the other players he always looks absolutely wrecked (beetroot red face, dripping with sweat, panting for breath) after about sixty five minutes/seventy minutes are on the clock. Is it that bad fitness or a sign of health problem ?

Only call up players like Gauld and Morgan if they are actually going to get serious game time. It's a complete waste of their time to fly them all that way over just to sit on the bench or bring them on in the 89th minute to waste time.

I doubt they will be called up in any case.

16 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Unpopular opinion incoming....

I would call time on Grant Hanley.

His pride, his commitment and his effort I cannot fault but nonetheless he's a major liability in my opinion. The frequent lapses in concentration, bad decision making, clumsiness and poor positioning are screwing us. Also, in contrast to the other players he always looks absolutely wrecked (beetroot red face, dripping with sweat, panting for breath) after about sixty five minutes/seventy minutes are on the clock. Is it that bad fitness or a sign of health problem ?

Only call up players like Gauld and Morgan if they are actually going to get serious game time. It's a complete waste of their time to fly them all that way over just to sit on the bench or bring them on in the 89th minute to waste time.

I doubt they will be called up in any case.

Thats harsh on hanley. Hes been relatively good barring the last round of games. Hes down the pecking order in terms of being a first team pick but i dont see who the better options are in terms of the squad, especially if there are injuries etc. 

We dont have loads of centre backs playing in top leagues. We have to rely on guys like hanley. If you can name better alternatives then fair enough.

Morgan deserves a call up and some gametime. If hes willing to travel the distance then he deserves the chance to show hes worthy of a place in the team.

With Robbo out I would like to see Calum mcgregor made captain. Might not be popular choice but I think he’s the best captain we have in the squad and he didn’t look out of place against Real Madrid. 

Liam cooper was on the bench last Leeds game so I would imagine he will get a call up. 

I would definitely pick Burke for his pace coming off the bench. Gives us a different option. 

3 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

With Robbo out I would like to see Calum mcgregor made captain. Might not be popular choice but I think he’s the best captain we have in the squad and he didn’t look out of place against Real Madrid. 

Liam cooper was on the bench last Leeds game so I would imagine he will get a call up. 

I would definitely pick Burke for his pace coming off the bench. Gives us a different option. 

McGregor as captain is a perfectly sensible suggestion.

Gk - gordon, mclaughlin, ?????

Defenders- patterson, hickey, tierney, taylor, mckenna, cooper, hendry, hanley, 

Midfielders- gilmour, mcgregor, armstrong, mcginn, mctominay, jack, 

Forwards- morgan, burke, dykes, adams, fraser, brown

Thats my 23 man squad for these games. If its 25 then add in campbell and ferguson. If we play 3 at the back then mctominay will probably have to cover there in one of the games considering we have three games in a short space of time.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats my 23 man squad for these games. If its 25 then add in campbell and ferguson. If we play 3 at the back then mctominay will probably have to cover there in one of the games considering we have three games in a short space of time.

Christie will be picked I would imagine. Possibly Liam Kelly third keeper. 

52 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Turnbull instead of Campbell 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Apologies for using your squad for the purposes of who I wouldn't pick, but I cant find our most recent squad.- Anderson

Armstrong is 30 and can't get a game for a pretty poor Southampton side.- Elliot Anderson

Dykes looks well out of form.-Stewart, you forgot him too

I don't want to see Fraser in a squad ever again. Gauld 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

43 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Apologies for using your squad for the purposes of who I wouldn't pick, but I cant find our most recent squad.- Anderson

Armstrong is 30 and can't get a game for a pretty poor Southampton side.- Elliot Anderson

Apologies just noticed Stewart is injured.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Elliot Anderson got called up to the under 21s. 

Edited by bigfingers

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Armstrong pulled us out of a hole against Armenia. He has been a consistent performer for southampton in the epl. How many midfielders do we have playing well in a top european league. If armstrong isnt worthy of our squad then who is? 

Fraser is a cracking player who took his punishment well and if he turns up from now on and performs well then i dont see the problem. 

Dykes deserves his place in the squad based on his performances for scotland. Hes pulled out important goals when we needed them. He may not be a guaranteed starter due to his club form but hes certainly worthy of his place. Do you honestly see clarke leaving him out?

As for anderson i dont get the fuss. Hes made a few sub appearances for newcastle and thats about it. Hes got loads of potential but hes done next to nothing to deserve a place in the squad especially at armstrongs expense whos been a consistent performer in the epl and for a champions league team. 

If you include christie and turnbull then the squad i have picked is pretty accurate to what clarke will pick imo.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Armstrong pulled us out of a hole against Armenia. He has been a consistent performer for southampton in the epl. How many midfielders do we have playing well in a top european league. If armstrong isnt worthy of our squad then who is? 

Fraser is a cracking player who took his punishment well and if he turns up from now on and performs well then i dont see the problem. 

Dykes deserves his place in the squad based on his performances for scotland. Hes pulled out important goals when we needed them. He may not be a guaranteed starter due to his club form but hes certainly worthy of his place. Do you honestly see clarke leaving him out?

As for anderson i dont get the fuss. Hes made a few sub appearances for newcastle and thats about it. Hes got loads of potential but hes done next to nothing to deserve a place in the squad especially at armstrongs expense whos been a consistent performer in the epl and for a champions league team. 

If you include christie and turnbull then the squad i have picked is pretty accurate to what clarke will pick imo.

I think on the side of picking players in form you prefer past performances.

I could say "McBurnie" he's in form and you would be perfectly entitled to dismiss that on basis of previous performances. But I think if a player is out of form he can't just be picked based on past performances,unless it's something obvious like McGinn. 

12 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Can we discuss the potential squad before it is revealed.  i think we will have a squad of 25/26 with a triple header. 

I think with Patterson on 10 caps, and the emergence of the versatile Hickey - I think the time of Stephen O Donnell has passed and we can use that squad spot for another.

I am supportive of Lewis Morgan and Ryan Gauld to be called up.  If they are too far away, then Clarke needs to let that be known to have our talented players think twice about moving out of Europe.  I reckon Greg Taylor warrants a call up on merit, but definitely with Robertson out. I am also supportive of Oli Burke coming back in.   

Tommy Conway has also started the season really well.

What are you all wishing/hoping for? 

Taylor will be a pick regardless of Robertson's fitness, he usually is anyway and has proven with Celtic this season he is more than capable.

I think the American based players should be picked if they are good enough, and I think both probably are. The whole worry about travelling a long distance is nonsense. It's a 9.5 hour plane journey max and I'd imagine they'd pay for a nice seat. Not exactly going to kill them for a few weeks at home. 

I hope to fuck Ryan Fraser picks up and injury as he is a waste of a jersey, file under James Forrest, so frustrating to watch and generally brings nothing. 

Don't think there will be any major changes, Clarke tends to stick with what he knows, unless there is somebody really outstanding

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I know, but I'm not alone in thinking we should gamble more with potential. 

Even if it's just for squad experience if the gamble comes of the player benifits and therefor so do we long term

I have said this for years.

Another that is very interesting though I know is very young but has massive potential is Ben Doak at Liverpool where he has really impressed so far. Wales have done very well in recent years by throwing in youngsters with next to none league football experience but this has enhanced their club careers as a result.

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, Liam Kelly, Jon McLaughlin

Defenders: Grant Hanley, Jack Hendry, Aaron Hickey, Scott McKenna, Nathan Patterson, Ryan Porteous, Anthony Ralston, Kieran Tierney, Greg Taylor

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Jack, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Kenny McLean, Scott McTominay, David Turnbull

Strikers:Che Adams, Jacob Brown, Lyndon Dykes, Ryan Christie, Ryan Fraser

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, Liam Kelly, Jon McLaughlin

Defenders: Grant Hanley, Jack Hendry, Aaron Hickey, Scott McKenna, Nathan Patterson, Ryan Porteous, Anthony Ralston, Kieran Tierney, Greg Taylor

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Jack, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Kenny McLean, Scott McTominay, David Turnbull

Strikers:Che Adams, Jacob Brown, Lyndon Dykes, Ryan Christie, Ryan Fraser

Can't help but feel this squad feels a bit poor. Ryan Jack is past it and the likes of McLean & Porteous should be nowhere near. Would rather have called up Allan Campbell & Stephen Welsh. 

Keepers,Mclaughlin out of form, Kelly not international standard but what else do we have I suppose.

Defence,Hendry has played 10 mins, Ralston a cup game I think, porteus is a worry, surely one of the English Champ defenders is giving a chance.

Mid,Jack's form has not been good like above says Campbell.

Strikers,Dykes has been getting described as the worst striker in the champ this season which is a worry but unfortunately Stewart injured. Do mpt think Brown has got off to a good start either.

Edited by syecosse

very thin looking squad.

The usual crash helmets will be up in arms about Fraser being called into the squad again. I don't care about this supposed fallout/lack of commitment - he's in form and we look a different attacking team with him in the squad. Might be the latest case of us shockingly booing our own players. Watch this space.

As much as McGinn for a while has been the first name on the team sheet, his form this season is questionable. Clarke is very unlikely to drop him, but I really wouldn't be averse to that in favour of McGregor as captain and McTominay who has found form again going back to midfield.

As much as we get away with it when we are playing against diddy teams, we CANNOT get away with playing players out of position with a back 5 and only 3 players in midfield against useful teams like Ukraine. We get found out woefully. Not least, I don't see more than 1 or 2 defenders I'd be confident in anywhere in that squad. I wouldn't be averse to going 4 at the back to shore up the midfield. Unfortunately, I have a feeling we will do some sort of 5 at the back with Tierney LCB and Hickey on the left (I have yet to see Hickey play well in any occasion I've ever watched him live - but I hope to be proven wrong about him eventually).

In summary, again I hope I'm wrong, I can see us trying the same formula with a thinner squad getting the same result against the same Ukraine team. I can see them sitting off us, catching us out with 1 pass over the top on the break and winning comfortably. Ireland game we're probably capable of a win or draw because they are relatively poor. Ukraine away TBC as it could end up being a dead rubber game. Even though finishing second might just about grab us a playoff spot later down the line, so we have to take all 3 games seriously.

I'm usually one of the positive ones as well!

8 hours ago, Kirk said:

Taylor will be a pick regardless of Robertson's fitness, he usually is anyway and has proven with Celtic this season he is more than capable.

I think the American based players should be picked if they are good enough, and I think both probably are. The whole worry about travelling a long distance is nonsense. It's a 9.5 hour plane journey max and I'd imagine they'd pay for a nice seat. Not exactly going to kill them for a few weeks at home. 

I hope to fuck Ryan Fraser picks up and injury as he is a waste of a jersey, file under James Forrest, so frustrating to watch and generally brings nothing. 

Don't think there will be any major changes, Clarke tends to stick with what he knows, unless there is somebody really outstanding

That's harsh.  His commitment is questionable but he's been decent for Scotland.  4 goals in 22 caps for a side like ourselves - including a couple of important goals too - is okay.  The only game I can remember him being especially shite was Russia at home.

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Can't help but feel this squad feels a bit poor. Ryan Jack is past it and the likes of McLean & Porteous should be nowhere near. Would rather have called up Allan Campbell & Stephen Welsh. 

McLean is at least playing regularly, unlike Lewis Ferguson, which I guess is why he missed out.  

There's a good player in Ryan Porteous but unfortunately the one who takes the field for Hibs is a nutter!  Surprised Ralston is in there, considering he's not featured for Celtic much this season.