Foreign football - Page 14 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Foreign football

12 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Agree with the above. Conference is a stupid name but the tournament itself is a good thing. Would be good if they could find a way to have more teams from smaller countries in the group stages rather than it just being the lower finishing teams from the big 5.

They need to bin the parachute system where teams knocked out of the CL drop into the Europa League and they get dropped into Conference League, what chance have the lesser teams have when teams get 2 and some times 3 cracks at European football competitions, once your knocked out you should stay out.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

They need to bin the parachute system where teams knocked out of the CL drop into the Europa League and they get dropped into Conference League, what chance have the lesser teams have when teams get 2 and some times 3 cracks at European football competitions, once your knocked out you should stay out.

I think they have for next season..

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Has anyone else watched the aftermath, the likes  of the CL final? BT, Sky etc 🤣 you would honestly think this is some sort of Roy of the rovers story. 

Didn't watch it. First final I watched was Leeds v Bayern Munich, we were on holiday at Butlins. Supported Leeds because they had some many Scots (Gray, Bremner, Lorimer). Think I may have cried when they lost. Different game nowadays. Pep's a great manager, City have got some terrific players but basically it's become one Arab funded franchise playing another.

8 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Didn't watch it. First final I watched was Leeds v Bayern Munich, we were on holiday at Butlins. Supported Leeds because they had some many Scots (Gray, Bremner, Lorimer). Think I may have cried when they lost. Different game nowadays. Pep's a great manager, City have got some terrific players but basically it's become one Arab funded franchise playing another.

I find it fascinating how popular football is nowadays. Its barely recognisable as a sport. 9 times out of 10 its a case of Money = success and the media fawn all over it

We all know football is engineered to keep the wealth within a tight knit circle but for some fucked up reason we all go back to it.

Edited by vanderark14

The media, especially pundits are the worst. The pundits last night were going on about how the man City story is amazing considering where they came from, no mention of the Arab multi billionaires. Then they went on about the sacrifices these players make, players may have made sacrifices years ago but this new generation are handed everything on a plate from a young age. 

It’s not just the money, City have spent less than Chelsea and Man U I think but the champions league is just boring as a neutral, even when 2 different teams get to the final. 

And then there is the source of the money, it’s not inconceivable to imagine a handful of owners, owning most of the major European clubs in the future. 

For what it’s worth I think Pep is a tremendous manager who would thrive in any era. 

Despite not being that engaged in the game, couldn’t help but lament that missed Lukaku header, even just to get it up the media who as predicted dismissed Inter before a ball was kicked.

42 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

“The greatest story in club football has an ending”

According to the English commentator anyway.

Not sure how you even unpack that 

I think he said "club history" ie. Man City history. 

Perhaps I'm being overly kind to Darren Fletcher though!

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I find it fascinating how popular football is nowadays. Its barely recognisable as a sport. 9 times out of 10 its a case of Money = success and the media fawn all over it

We all know football is engineered to keep the wealth within a tight knit circle but for some fucked up reason we all go back to it.

I genuinely feel nauseous anytime I read or see anything about Wrexham 

12 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The media, especially pundits are the worst. The pundits last night were going on about how the man City story is amazing considering where they came from, no mention of the Arab multi billionaires. Then they went on about the sacrifices these players make, players may have made sacrifices years ago but this new generation are handed everything on a plate from a young age. 

The owner of Man City was there last night, first time in 13 years he has seen them, only 2nd time he has seen them in 15 years. 

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Real Madrid sign engerland midfielder Jude Bellingham for £115m... WTF??? Is he that good? What would McGinn, be worth then? Football is fucked !!

He is that good.  And the fee is closer to £85M, potentially rising to £115M.  In a world where Harry McGuire costs £80M and Jaydon Sancho £75M that is a cracking price for Bellingham.  I've been saying for a couple of years, and still believe, that'll he'll be the best player in the world by the time he's in his early 20s.  As much as I love McGinn, he won't come close to Bellingham's level.

John Hollins passes away, 76. This one makes me feel old.

Copied below below from BBC report. Raith? Is that right?

He also went on to manage Swansea City, with whom he won the fourth-tier title in 2000, Rochdale, Raith, Stockport, Crawley and Weymouth.

Edited by Och Aye

12 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

He is that good.  And the fee is closer to £85M, potentially rising to £115M.  In a world where Harry McGuire costs £80M and Jaydon Sancho £75M that is a cracking price for Bellingham.  I've been saying for a couple of years, and still believe, that'll he'll be the best player in the world by the time he's in his early 20s.  As much as I love McGinn, he won't come close to Bellingham's level.

Cheers FB. Don't know much about the lad to be fair...

Neves going to Saudi. Interesting one, he's a player at an age when he should be at his peak electing to going over there than staying in Europe. From a personal point of view with the obscene amounts of money that he'll get it's understandable but I wonder what the implications are for European leagues, particularly the EPL.

43 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Neves going to Saudi. Interesting one, he's a player at an age when he should be at his peak electing to going over there than staying in Europe. From a personal point of view with the obscene amounts of money that he'll get it's understandable but I wonder what the implications are for European leagues, particularly the EPL.

They seem to be a making a massive push for European based players right now.  Today alone I've seen Romano mention bids for Neves, Kante, Modric, Lukaku, Mendy, Aubamayang, Saul Niguez and a few others I've probably missed.

54 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

There have been a few murmurs about him being loaned to Newcastle (Toon owners involved with that particular Saudi club) which would make English football a bigger farce than what it's already becoming. Would be an uproar if f it came about I'd imagine. 

2 hours ago, Och Aye said:

There have been a few murmurs about him being loaned to Newcastle (Toon owners involved with that particular Saudi club) which would make English football a bigger farce than what it's already becoming. Would be an uproar if f it came about I'd imagine. 

Yes I've seen those but as you say there would be uproar if that's the case. Watch this space...