Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 19 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

48 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Agreed.

I think Brazil, France and Spain are the most likely to win it from what I've seen of this World Cup.

Argentina, England, Germany, the Netherlands and Portugal are in that second tier for me. Belgium have fallen out of that group, in my mind, with their performances; Argentina were in the top tier before the tournament.

I think Netherlands are getting better in every game they play. If they steer clear on injuries and suspensions I think they can go all the way. Certainly good enough for a semi final , I would say.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the tournament can be funny.  Sometimes teams grow in to it and build momentum having started slowly and those that look amazing at the start can have an off day in the knock out.

think it’s fairly open and if I was England I would be hopeful rather than expectant.

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

They’ve looked good against 2 diddy teams and we’re absolutely ordinary against a team with a modicum of quality. They’re in no way equipped to win this tournament. 

To be fair, we have to play Senegal first, but I would say that on current evidence England are capable of giving any of the teams a game. To say the above may come back to haunt you. Our record in the last couple of tournaments isn’t that bad. And again those “diddy teams” actually qualified for a World Cup, which is more than you can say for some other teams 😉 

18 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I want to see Mbape and Dembele rip England apart. Although France might need to get past Argentina first?

I’d like to see Scotland actually qualify for a World Cup but we don’t always get what we want do we ? Bring on les bleus should we beat Senegal. No point claiming your the best in the world unless you beat the best in the world is there ?

4 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

They've had good results against Iran and Wales - they're not the teams which determine who'll win the World Cup though. The French should beat them, if the Senegalese don't.

Senegal with a fit Sadio Mane would be a stern test for them but I suspect they'll get past them.

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

They’ve comfortably beaten teams they should have beaten comfortably. 

England are classic flat track bullies.  They'll thrash also-ran teams in the qualifiers and in tournament group stages but put them up against a team of genuine quality and more often than not they'll come unstuck.

In the last 50 years I can only think of them beating two top international sides in World Cup finals - France in 1982 and Argentina in 2002.  Although, that looks like there could be a pattern there...😶 

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

They’re due to play France in the quarters I think and if so that’ll be as far as they get. 

France will pump them unless they have a serious off day. I really have no fear of England doing well in this tournament. The last couple they looked a far better team.

Said it before and will say it again. As soon as they meet a team with an attackingcthreat they will exit. Their defence has even looked susceptible to lesser sides with Iran netting twice having only got into the box half a dozen times and USA denied by the woodwork. People like to claim the Nations League means nothing and their results should be ignored in that as they don't give a stuff. Pecuiliar. It meant enough to them to get to the.semis in the previous iteration of it. This time around the defence was found out by the better attacking sides and the same  will happen here.

Wales were lucky to be there IMO and this is showing in their performances. They got lucky V Ukraine and then went to the world cup with their hopes pinned to Bale, Allen and Ramsay. Bale went to a league where superstars go to semi retire yet tells everyone he is committed to Wales, he is maybe committed as in he will always turn up but anyone of his ability fucking of to LA isn't committed IMO. Ramsay was nothing more than average in the SPFL and Allen is passed it. 

They have been worse than we were in the Euros and we had tougher opposition IMO.

England have been England, they got the job done in the group stages but its hard to judge how good they actually are because they humped Wales who are beyond pish now and they humped Iran who were made to look good by Wales. When they faced the USA they struggled. 

Looks like Pulisic suffered pelvic contusion. Fingers crossed he's back next game (this USA team is starting to grow on me).

As for the other Group B game from yesterday. Just watched the highlights. Looking at the first goal, it reminded me that England have players who are very good at <cough> 'winning' free kicks. Foden, Grealish and Sterling all can do it: running at speed into groups of defenders around the penalty area and then dancing into 'contact'.

Senegal need to be aware of that. (I'm sure their coaches will drum it into their players to be ultra careful of this tactic.)  If the Senegalese can handle such trickery, I think they have a good chance of progressing to the quarter finals.

19 hours ago, JECK said:

Wales have been woeful, expected way better. Could be the start of a lull for them. Don’t see much quality in their squad now

Their main asset is probably their manager - agree they might begin to struggle now but if Page remains in his position then that will be a help to them.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:33 PM, McTeeko said:

Good read that Morrie! 👍🏼

(Poland are on 4 points though. Sorry, but that just jumped out at me). 

Got the editor to sort the error - he's unhappy with himself for missing it during the original edit too. Thanks again for alerting me to the mistake. 

Considering how well they did at the Euros and how comfortably they qualified, I can't believe how bad Denmark have been.

Second seeds (I think) in a fairly easy group yet they finish bottom, finally going out with a whimper to an average-at-best Australia side.

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Considering how well they did at the Euros and how comfortably they qualified, I can't believe how bad Denmark have been.

Second seeds (I think) in a fairly easy group yet they finish bottom, finally going out with a whimper to an average-at-best Australia side.

Fancied as a “dark horse” by many, utter Jobbie 💩 

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That was a weird game.  It looked to me like Denmark didn't give a flying rat's arse.  No urgency, no determination, nothing.  Body language all wrong.  I'd be fkin raging if I was a Danish fan who'd spent good money going to watch that.

13 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Fancied as a “dark horse” by many, utter Jobbie 💩 

I never thought they'd be contenders to win it but they were well capable of getting out of that group.

Feel for Tunisia a bit; manage to beat the world Champions but still go out!

10 minutes ago, daviebee said:

That was a weird game.  It looked to me like Denmark didn't give a flying rat's arse.  No urgency, no determination, nothing.  Body language all wrong.  I'd be fkin raging if I was a Danish fan who'd spent good money going to watch that.

My thoughts exactly. It was almost like they thought they could just turn up, go through the motions and they'd still win. Really disappointing.

17 hours ago, scotlad said:

England are classic flat track bullies.  They'll thrash also-ran teams in the qualifiers and in tournament group stages but put them up against a team of genuine quality and more often than not they'll come unstuck.

In the last 50 years I can only think of them beating two top international sides in World Cup finals - France in 1982 and Argentina in 2002.  Although, that looks like there could be a pattern there...😶 

Even at the Euros they haven't beaten many top sides: the Dutch in 1996 was probably their best win, with two wins over relatively poor German sides in 2000 and 2021 being the next two.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Souttar was excellent too, a guy born in Aberdeen will be playing in the last 16

I’m guessing that will be the first time a Scots born player has made the Knock out stage of a World Cup? Him and Cummings. Any others ever?

7 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I’m guessing that will be the first time a Scots born player has made the Knock out stage of a World Cup? Him and Cummings. Any others ever?

To answer my own question a quick google search indicates that at least 1 Scots born player played for USA in the 1930 World Cup and they reached the semis. I wonder if anyone since then? Certainly can’t think of any since the 60s 

Edited by GHfaeGTA