Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 14 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Best team by a mile won which is a bit worrying since England destroyed them.

Iran had a whole different mindset in that match though. Negatively set out to play for a draw and they paid the price - not helped either by losing their keeper early on. They are a long way behind your big hitting nations yet still scored twice against England. The undoing of England here will be their defence.

Wales today reminded me a bit of us against Morocco in '98: a listless performance against a team we were expected to beat before having a man sent off and completely going to pieces in the end.

At least the Welsh still have another game to make amends.  In some respects it might be better for them if England win tonight - that way, by the time they play each other England will be through to the next round, they might not be as bothered about winning the game and might even rest a few players ahead of the second round.

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Brazil were always the team I wanted to win after Scotland at a world cup but with Neymar being such a dislikeable little shit I struggle to want them to win. They played better last night with out him IMO

I agree. They played better once he went off, although to be fair, Serbia had had the legs run off them by that point. He is one of those players who thinks he is better than he really is. Does the manager have the baws to drop him though?

7 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I'm only commenting once on this idiot, I don't want to ruin the thread. This has nothing to do with the twelve steps, maybe YOU should do you research before commenting. it's about a total fucking idiot who just can't keep his comments to himself. 

I see self awareness is one of the 12 steps.

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I agree. They played better once he went off, although to be fair, Serbia had had the legs run off them by that point. He is one of those players who thinks he is better than he really is. Does the manager have the baws to drop him though?

Apparently he's out for at least one game now so no need to make a decision yet.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Wales today reminded me a bit of us against Morocco in '98: a listless performance against a team we were expected to beat before having a man sent off and completely going to pieces in the end.

At least the Welsh still have another game to make amends.  In some respects it might be better for them if England win tonight - that way, by the time they play each other England will be through to the next round, they might not be as bothered about winning the game and might even rest a few players ahead of the second round.

It did strike me that it could've been us getting a chasing off Iran today if things had gone differently in June.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Iran had a whole different mindset in that match though. Negatively set out to play for a draw and they paid the price - not helped either by losing their keeper early on. They are a long way behind your big hitting nations yet still scored twice against England. The undoing of England here will be their defence.

I was thinking that. They just didn't seem to be mentally at the races against England. But the ease with which they scored 2 goals against the run of play against super-confident England maybe showed a glimpse of what they were capable of. And today, they did it for 90 (+ whatever) minutes. Did you see the reaction of Querioz and his players at the final whistle? I have a feeling he played a part in turning things around for Iran. Iran vs USA should be a cracker.

Incidentally, is there any permutation of results/goal difference or whatever (however unlikely), that could lead to both USA and Iran progressing out of the group?

I disagree re Neymar.  He has been one of the best players in the world in last 10 years.  Ronaldo is arrogant, Souness, Best, Baxter etc.  Not really likeable people but always thought that the arrogance that they were better than others made them as part of their make up.  You could argue that Dalglish, Messi etc didn't have that.  But everyone is different.

10 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Just cannot get into this WC. Everything about it is wrong, even the stadiums. Blowing in Air conditioning apparently. The dome stadiums, the empty seats. No booze, part time support. I haven't  even mentioned the lies, cheating, corruption, pay backs, slave labor. Anyhow, sorry to barge in, I'll do yes all a favor and keep my opinions to myself and not ruin a decent thread on a rather uneventful World Cup.. BTW, well played Canada, you done yourselves proud, should have beaten the Belgians. Best of luck the rest of the way... 

sounds like parkheid 😜

49 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

sounds like parkheid 😜

It honestly must be difficult supporting a shite football club, with shite supporters that win sweet fuck all year after year. I would not know that feeling as I support Celtic FC, the Big club. They do teach you about empathy in the 12 step program, so I do feel your pain, albeit, just a wee bit. Winning year after year, decade after decade isn't for everyone.....