U21s - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21s

Hertsscot

16 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Aye of course, you are right. We were 3-0 up in a completely different match inside half an hour therefore our performance last night was reminiscent of 1970s Brazil or Ajax 95.

I thought your criticisms were more general than just one specific match.  I was just pointing out that despairing at how poor our under 21s are compared to Hungary’s ignores the fact that we horsed them only a month ago.  

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

I thought your criticisms were more general than just one specific match.  I was just pointing out that despairing at how poor our under 21s are compared to Hungary’s ignores the fact that we horsed them only a month ago.  

My criticisms were more general - Gemmill has been in charge for over 6 years and 50+ matches, that's exactly why an hour of football in a game a month ago is largely irrelevant.

For the record, we beat them 3-1 but we weren't particularly good. We weren't as terrible as Tuesday but it was a very even game where the scoreline flattered us. 

Looking at our last 2 home games in October, Hungary + Malta 

Scotland called up Manchester City wonder kid Emilio Lawrence but didn’t feature for Gemmill 

He was an unused Sub for both games, did he ‘ Gemmill ‘ call him up just to have a look at him I wonder? 
Surely he merited some game time, with the amount of talent / hype that surrounds this lad. 

I now see Emilio Lawrence wasn’t in the Squad for November fixtures away to Belgium + Hungary

Edited by broraboy

3 hours ago, broraboy said:

Looking at our last 2 home games in October, Hungary + Malta 

Scotland called up Manchester City wonder kid Emilio Lawrence but didn’t feature for Gemmill 

He was an unused Sub for both games, did he ‘ Gemmill ‘ call him up just to have a look at him I wonder? 
Surely he merited some game time, with the amount of talent / hype that surrounds this lad. 

I now see Emilio Lawrence wasn’t in the Squad for November fixtures away to Belgium + Hungary

He withdrew injured from the latest squad. 

There was a article a couple of years  ago which I posted on here. Very highly thought of with big English clubs sniffing then but he seemed to have stalled somewhat during his Partick Thistle loan, don't think he played much. MoM for QoS against Dundee United, let's hope this is only that start for him.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

• 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67906989

Scotland Under-21 forward Dapo Mebude is in hospital following a car crash in Belgium.

His club, KV Oostende, confirmed the news via social media, saying: "Our thoughts are with Dapo and his family."

One report from Belgium states the 22-year-old collided with a tree, while another says emergency services had to free Mebude from the wreckage.

London-born Mebude has 28 caps for Scotland at youth level and has been with KV Oostende since September 2022.

He came through the ranks at Rangers, making one first team appearance in 2019, before a move to Watford two years later.

"The practice match between Knokke and KVO was cancelled due to a car accident by player Dapo Mebude," announced his club.

"He was taken to hospital but there is no further information about his situation."

36 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67906989

Scotland Under-21 forward Dapo Mebude is in hospital following a car crash in Belgium.

His club, KV Oostende, confirmed the news via social media, saying: "Our thoughts are with Dapo and his family."

One report from Belgium states the 22-year-old collided with a tree, while another says emergency services had to free Mebude from the wreckage.

London-born Mebude has 28 caps for Scotland at youth level and has been with KV Oostende since September 2022.

He came through the ranks at Rangers, making one first team appearance in 2019, before a move to Watford two years later.

"The practice match between Knokke and KVO was cancelled due to a car accident by player Dapo Mebude," announced his club.

"He was taken to hospital but there is no further information about his situation."

Thoughts with Him and his family, he is the older brother of Dire Mebude who is also in Belgium. 
Fingers crossed everything is going to be okay for him 🙏 

The Scottish Sun + Daily Record paint a slightly different picture on the accident however ☹️

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, syecosse said:

Scotland U19s won 4-0 v Latvia, not bad as a number of clubs did not let players attend due to it not being an international break. Alfie Bavidge scored a hatrick and Motinikov.

Think that's 2 hat tricks this month for him & still only 17, let's hope he is good enough to get game time in the SPL next season 

On 2/17/2024 at 11:46 AM, syecosse said:

Scotland U19s won 4-0 v Latvia, not bad as a number of clubs did not let players attend due to it not being an international break. Alfie Bavidge scored a hatrick and Motinikov.

Bobby Wales was one of them. He is on loan at Alloa and flying. 

Much better for his development playing mens football than going away for friendlies at youth level. 

That's him sitting on 6 goals in the last 7 games. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

20 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

?

Rudi Molotnikov, Hibs youth player, looks pretty decent on the rare occasion he's come on for Hibs. Could really do with a loan deal to a Scottish Championship club to develop him further.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

No Lennon Miller or David Watson in the U21s. 

Probably for the best given who the manager is and how hopeless he is but no idea how these two lads can't get in the 21s when you see the squad. 

Both in U19s squad 

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I know, i was talking about the U21s. 

Both playing more regular top flight football than most the 21s and both got a higher ceiling than many of them.

Im always torn on these type of situations. 

On one hand we should be picking the best players for the highest possible level. That might mean 17/18 year olds playing for U21s.

On the other hand its important to expose as many of our best players to international football as possible. So given the above example it might mean 2 x 20 year olds missing out completely as they obviously couldnt drop down to U19s.

Its difficult to predict which youngsters will go onto the full squad so im reasonably content with keeping the 2 above at U19 for the moment. The frustration comes when they are possibly full squad players and we keep them at lower levels but from what ive seen it is probably a couple of years away at best for these lads so no need to rush them to U21 just yet.