Austria v Scotland match thread - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Austria v Scotland match thread

slasher

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of a mixed bag that. We looked a threat most of the game but not so clever defensively. 

I'm not sure we've learned anything new either. I still think it was a missed opportunity to blood a couple of players we are only a knock or two away from having to use. 

Still not a bad result and still unbeaten. 👍

I'm not happy with the two results, but it shows what we need to work on in a game that didn't mean for much and that is a positive.  If we had won, we may have been complacent, our good form continues - unbeaten in 8. 

Guest Scot1

Move Hanley to RCB, Hendry to Centre of the 3. Hanley is just a couple of inches too short when we come up against opposition  tall CF’s.

McGinn had to drop deeper making a midfield 3, a point I’ve been stating for a while now, once we come up against a good midfield, there’s too much space in the middle of the park to be covered by our 2 central midfielders, a good team will take advantage of that space.  
Happy enough with Ryan Jack and Lewis Ferguson performances. Good to give Jack minutes and good to get Ferguson a start. 
Personally I’d move McGinn up to play off our CF and bring in McTominay or Jack for Armstrong / Christie.

John McGinn is god 

Edited by Scot1

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Hanley maybe going through a slightly dodgy spell. Think maybe Souttar and Cooper may be key coming back and the McGregor/McGinn/Gilmour threesome looks to be the strongest midfield by some distance.

Cooper is the same height as Hanley? We’re coming up against guys that are 6ft 4 and taller. We have a good, pacy, tall Centre Half, who’s playing on the right of the 3. Switch them around. Hanley can play there, no problem. Or bring in Souttar, but get Hendry or even McKenna in the middle. 
Id push McGinn up off our CF, he is a real threat in and around the opposition penalty box. Can hold the ball up, with fouls etc. Put McTominay or Jack in beside Gilmour and McGregor. 

Thought we struggled in the 2nd half when Armstrong and McGinn lost abit of energy. 

When Dkyes came on everything started going long. Hopefully thats Adams firmly established as main striker. It would have been good to see Brown up front instead of Dykes. High energy and fast.

Thought Hickey did everything very safe. Would like to see him attack abit more but early days.

Odonnells header for the 2nd goal is very poor. Not under pressure that header has to go wide. He puts it right back into danger area.

Feel slightly deflated after that. We really shouldn't be losing two goal leads but where we were unlucky to draw against Poland, a draw was the least Austria deserved tonight. We were distinctly second best, especially in the second half.

It shouldn't come as any great surprise that defence is the weakest part of our team and it was highlighted again tonight. What was perhaps more surprising was our inability to retain possession in the second half.

On a brighter note, we played some good stuff, our second goal was excellent and we achieved a draw away to a decent team with an experimental side. I'd sooner we iron out any bumps in these friendlies and hit the ground running in June.