Austria v Scotland match thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Austria v Scotland match thread

slasher

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think it's pointless selecting Gordon for this one? Surely this was a chance to get a look at back up options. Same with the striker position. I'm assuming the likes of Clark & Brown may be brought on later but why not just start them? 

9 minutes ago, slasher said:

Anyone else think it's pointless selecting Gordon for this one? Surely this was a chance to get a look at back up options. Same with the striker position. I'm assuming the likes of Clark & Brown may be brought on later but why not just start them? 

True, we all what Gordon can do. Hopefully Brown will get a decent run out in the second half. 

Just now, slasher said:

He may want to keep the winning team momentum going, something we haven't done enough of to make sure we get to that next level. He's kept a fairly solid back 5 and with adding in Ferguson and Jack he may start this team off but bring on the newbies at half time.

14 minutes ago, slasher said:

Start Clark and Brown and lose and Clarke would get slaughtered.

1 minute ago, gkm_vancouver said:

He may want to keep the winning team momentum going, something we haven't done enough of to make sure we get to that next level. He's kept a fairly solid back 5 and with adding in Ferguson and Jack he may start this team off but bring on the newbies at half time.

Agreed. It is key we keep the momentum going and Austria are not a side we can take liberties with selection-wise. If we go into a lead we can perhaps try out others.

Not a bad Scotland side, especially when Daily Record was forecasting essentially a second string. So yes Clarke seems focused on going for a win which is good. It is great to see Patterson getting another run out, and also the return of Jack. With Old Firm clash looming Jack will not play the whole match, and I would love to see Hickey come on as holding midfielder. Ok I know that will never happen, so otherwise he could replace either Patterson or Robertson - He is too good to leave out. I was also hoping Ross Stewart to get a run, but mysteriously not even on the bench.

Austria look pretty full strength apart from Alaba who is not even in the squad, but released back to Real Madrid. Kalajdzic definitely needs watching as he scored a double at Hampden, and very unlucky not to get a hat-trick. I anticipate Austria to control most of the possession with us hitting on the counter.

8 minutes ago, slasher said:

No he wouldn't 

Whit? Are you saying if we were to lose and had started with likes of Clark and Jacob Brown people would not be slaughtering him on here? That would be a TAMB first. 

We are on a very good unbeaten run and the best way to go about extending that run and maintaing momentum is picking a strong starting line-up.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Whit? Are you saying if we were to lose and had started with likes of Clark and Jacob Brown people would not be slaughtering him on here? That would be a TAMB first. 

We are on a very good unbeaten run and the best way to go about extending that run and maintaing momentum is picking a strong starting line-up.

If we are not going to take a good look at these guys tonight then when? Are we just going to wait until they are needed then chuck them in with no idea of how they will cope?

Our unbeaten run is great but it doesn't need to end because we make a couple of changes. I doubt it will do anything in terms of the psychology of the game(s) against Ukraine /Wales anyway. 

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Unbeaten runs worry me as sooner or later they come to an end. Rather lose in a friendly than in a world cup qualifier. Oh the joys of football!

We've been good going forward but we've been too open at the other end. Holding midfielders and wing backs need to be more compact. A more controlled performance in the 2nd half hopefully. 

Armstrong grating on my nerves a bit with his carelessness not for the first time but Adams has been very good 👍