Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 365 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This is all fine by me but I'd have preferred him coming out with this statement BEFORE he got called up by England. It would have stopped him being foolishly linked to Scotland when he so wanted only to play for England quite clearly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68621944

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Might be a lesson for all those who are desperate to cap these clowns. 

I think we all know that we are second choice to guys like Adams, cooper, Barnes etc. that's obvious or it should be. It's all about wether the player improves our squad and shows good commitment to turning up and trying their best. 

Fair enough to Gordon, he's made it clear that he wants to play for England and doesn't really want to compromise on that. Saying that if he wasn't getting picked by England and wanted to use us as a back up option then personally I wouldn't have a problem with that. 

Regardless of what Gordon says in that interview if he wasn't getting picked by England by the age of 26 and it wasnt looking likely he ever would then theres a good chance he would be considering us as an option.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This is all fine by me but I'd have preferred him coming out with this statement BEFORE he got called up by England. It would have stopped him being foolishly linked to Scotland when he so wanted only to play for England quite clearly.

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Might be a lesson for all those who are desperate to cap these clowns. 

I think we all know that we are second choice to guys like Adams, cooper, Barnes etc. that's obvious or it should be. It's all about wether the player improves our squad and shows good commitment to turning up and trying their best. 

Fair enough to Gordon, he's made it clear that he wants to play for England and doesn't really want to compromise on that. Saying that if he wasn't getting picked by England and wanted to use us as a back up option then personally I wouldn't have a problem with that. 

Regardless of what Gordon says in that interview if he wasn't getting picked by England by the age of 26 and it wasnt looking likely he ever would then theres a good chance he would be considering us as an option.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think the whole concept of international fitba is a wee bit lost on you. The only way someone like that should be near a Scotland jersey is when Ryan Porteous boots him 6 feet in the air in the Euro 2024 final.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He probably decided to keep quiet in case the England call up never came. Will be interesting to see what happens if he doesn’t play a competitive game for England and comes crawling to us in a few years. 

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Bit unfair on Cooper, he's been with the setup since u17's

I wonder if any u21s may get called up after there 1 match tonight, to come in as cover or experience especially if any more drop outs after Holland especially as already in Scotland. 

Bowat, Doig, Johnstone or Conway being the most likely to cover positions you would think. 

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yep that’s very accurate 

32 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Bit unfair on Cooper, he's been with the setup since u17's

I was about to say the same thing. Adams is probably fair comment though.

Barnes has never shown any public inclination towards playing for Scotland, ditto Gordon. I don't think Barnes's England career will go any further than that one cap and to be honest I'd be surprised if Gordon turned out to be a regular for them either.

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He probably decided to keep quiet in case the England call up never came. Will be interesting to see what happens if he doesn’t play a competitive game for England and comes crawling to us in a few years. 

Yeah, the timing is pretty sus. If there was never any question of him playing for Scotland, why did he wait to say so until he got into the England squad?

I never thought we had much chance of getting him anyway. Ditto Livramento. So no real loss.

10 minutes ago, Yr Alban said:

Yeah, the timing is pretty sus. If there was never any question of him playing for Scotland, why did he wait to say so until he got into the England squad?

I never thought we had much chance of getting him anyway. Ditto Livramento. So no real loss.

My thoughts exactly.

This should be the time for any of us continuing to desperately sniff around Newcastle's cabale of Anderson (already took the piss), Gordon (pinned his colours to the mast) and Barnes and Livramento who have expressed their international ambitions elsewhere already.

18 hours ago, syecosse said:

I wonder if any u21s may get called up after there 1 match tonight, to come in as cover or experience especially if any more drop outs after Holland especially as already in Scotland. 

Bowat, Doig, Johnstone or Conway being the most likely to cover positions you would think. 

Would like to see King and Conway get a chance 

Lewis Morgan scored a hat-trick for NY Red Bulls against Inter Miami tonight. Miami’s team had Busquets, Alba and Suarez starting. Also bizarrely so did Robert Taylor who declined a call up for Finland to miss their Euros play-off so he could play in this game. A 34 capped, 29 year old in the form of his life…

On 3/22/2024 at 11:52 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't know about King but I doubt Conway will make the grade.

Conway is closer to making the grade than King as he is playing regular first team football at a high level . 

I really don't know what your basing your negative opinion on him from🤔

47 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think it's because he's had pretty much two full seasons and his scoring record as a striker is only 1 in 4 (he's only got 7 for the season so far, for Bristol)

I've seen Conway a few times on tv. He's very good at that level. He's never an international striker though, in my humble opinion.

On 3/21/2024 at 1:23 PM, daviebee said:

I think the whole concept of international fitba is a wee bit lost on you. The only way someone like that should be near a Scotland jersey is when Ryan Porteous boots him 6 feet in the air in the Euro 2024 final.

😂😂

22 minutes ago, duncan II said:

I've seen Conway a few times on tv. He's very good at that level. He's never an international striker though, in my humble opinion.

Shankland plays spl and Adams and dykes play in the English championship. If he's good at that level then he's good enough to play for us, especially when you consider his age.

2 hours ago, duncan II said:

That's still no barrier to him making our squad, more's the pity!

To be fair to Conway he's, what, 20-years-old and featuring regularly in the same league as other Scots strikers who are either in the squad or are linked with call-ups, except they're several years older. He still has time to improve, whereas the others are as good as they're going to get.

4 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think it's because he's had pretty much two full seasons and his scoring record as a striker is only 1 in 4 (he's only got 7 for the season so far, for Bristol)

The boys 20 years old ffs. He is playing reguarly in a very good league.

Englands best ever striker, Harry Kane spent some time on loan at Orient, Millwall, Norwich and Leicester and had exactly a 1 in 4 goal record.

14 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I really don't know what your basing your negative opinion on him from🤔

Cead has shown us over the years that he only looks at a player's stats.

As Diamond Scot points out above, Cead would have written off a 20yr old Harry Kane.

10 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Cead has shown us over the years that he only looks at a player's stats.

As Diamond Scot points out above, Cead would have written off a 20yr old Harry Kane.

I follow stats because it is a lot easier to compare players, teams and leagues that way. 
I have stated a thousand times that only looking at a players goal scoring stats is a pointless exercise.

Conway is 21 and scored one goal in has last fourteen. 

Hate to be pedantic but it’s ceud not cead. I’m Scottish not Irish. 

12 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Lots of fans on the Bristol city forum say their manager is way too negative & that is why his performances have dropped.  No chances = no goals right!

Unless there's a change of manager or tactics they feel Conway will leave in the summer , if that happens we will see what standard of club wants to sign him then maybe we can judge what his potential ceiling is. 

One thing's for sure he doesn't need to be a international standard striker to play for us, just look at our current choices.  

International standard? Well of course our strikers are of international standard. Their presence in our national ream proves that in the part they have played in getting us to a major tournament. Dykes has scored nine goals for us only two short of much lauded Joe Jordan and has a better strike rate than him. Nobody would deny Jordan was international standard.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

International standard? Well of course our strikers are of international standard. Their presence in our national ream proves that in the part they have played in getting us to a major tournament. Dykes has scored nine goals for us only two short of much lauded Joe Jordan and has a better strike rate than him. Nobody would deny Jordan was international standard.

I regretted putting in the international class comment on my previous post as it's pretty irrelevant really, you play the best you've got thats the reality for all national teams.

I just take issue that a couple of posters on here that think a  20 year old regular starter in the English championship is not going to be good enough for us.