Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 356 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I think if a player is too good to ignore and clearly better than the person they're replacing, he puts them in, of course.  I don't know if anyone could really say that Christie is going to do a better job than the players we already have in midfield.

Shankland is a better player than Dykes and, every week, he's showing he's actually a fair bit better so I hope he gets his shot.

Totally agree with you on Shankland. I think Christie might have a chance of being tried further back since there’s a ton of evidence now from his domestic games that he can be really effective there. I remember him being good defensively for us even when playing higher up - Denmark at home sticks out in particular. Would be great to have that extra option back there along with Gilmour and McGregor either way, since most of our other midfielders are either AMs or box to box.

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

David Watson with another big goal for us. 

He's played a lot of games (usually 90 mins) and only turned 19 last week. Was sub on Saturday to manage his workload as was starting to look a bit leggy of late but he's gonna have a great career. 

Haven’t seen much of him. That’s good that they’re managing his minutes. Do you think he’d be the type to continue on the newly founded Scottish pipeline to Serie A? Seriously hope that a few more take that leap - I’ve been thinking that possibly Barron at Aberdeen would be one that’d benefit if the option came up. Maybe Miller at Motherwell eventually, too.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I don't think we have enough quality strikers waiting in the wings to supplant him from the Euros squad. He may find himself 3rd choice, but I don't think anyone else really has any chance of forcing their way in between now and June. (I'm making the assumption that Shankland will be 1 of 3 strikers selected) 

Yeh sadly of the other fringe strikers only Hardie is having a good season & I can't see him coming in from nowhere. Though let's not forget Harvey Barnes, if he commits & Clarke classes him as a striker then Dykes place could be in jeopardy .

2 hours ago, todd said:

If he had a weird ass foreign name they'd be all over him, faltering or otherwise

'Lyndon Dykes' is a bit of an unusual name, tbf, but he's ruined his chances of acceptance by choosing to play internationally for Scotland!

17 hours ago, ProudScot said:

If Dykes doesn’t pull his finger out he could be a shock exclusion from the squad which I never thought I’d say. He’s not liked by the QPR fans because of his poor goalscoring record. 

Maybe a move to Celtic or Rangers wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for him now…

Down in the pecking order, I think but I doubt he'll be out of the squad. My guess is it'll be Adams/Shankland/Dykes/Christie.  There isn't really anyone to replace Dykes. Brown hasn't really done anything for us and others like Conway/Hardie haven't done enough to break into the squad.

Edited by BryanBlessed

13 hours ago, BookhouseBoys said:

Haven’t seen much of him. That’s good that they’re managing his minutes. Do you think he’d be the type to continue on the newly founded Scottish pipeline to Serie A? Seriously hope that a few more take that leap - I’ve been thinking that possibly Barron at Aberdeen would be one that’d benefit if the option came up. Maybe Miller at Motherwell eventually, too.

I think Watson has all the attributes to go far in the game and certainly play overseas. Our U18 side a joy to watch just now, Chris Burke has a fantastic team, none more so than his 15 year old son who starts every game and is a stand out. 

IMG_3447.jpeg.b2adcd9977b4c55358e6f2e4dc0319ad.jpeg

19 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He is class, big fan 👏🏾

He's a fantastic young player. Very grounded too by all accounts.  Thankfully under contract until 2026.

Played 2500 mins so far this season of first team football aged 18, so need to watch his workload. 

5 hours ago, theabsentee said:

🤣 Ok you've a deal for now but be prepared in a month's time his name might be hot on here😉

If this guy comes into the squad for the euros never having shown any interest in playing for us ahead of guys who have got us there i would suggest it would be a bit more than hot... MOLTEN comes to mind. 

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's a fantastic young player. Very grounded too by all accounts.  Thankfully under contract until 2026.

Played 2500 mins so far this season of first team football aged 18, so need to watch his workload. 

Sounds good, look forward to seeing his progress 👍

7 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Dykes will be the most likely striker to start nevermind being excluded from the squad fs

He'll definitely be in the squad but I don't think it's out of the question that Adams will start as he was, at one time, the preferred choice. He was injured a lot of the last campaign but he's certainly having a better season than Dykes. Dykes looked way off it when he came on against Norway. 

A lot of it will depend on how Shankland performs against the Dutch (presuming he gets a chance which he should).

2 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Talking about Adams, Southampton were looking good for the 2nd automatic promotion place which would have meant Adams, Armstrong & Fraser back in the Premiership but the wheels seem to be coming off a bit. Currently heading for their 2nd defeat in a week.

Aye, 25 matches without defeat, then 2 in a week.

I was at the match tonight.

Of the three Scottish boys, only Armstrong started. Adams came on at half-time and Fraser a little after that.

TBH, I was concerned from the moment I saw the starting line up.

Saints lost the match in the first half. I think Russel Martin got it wrong tonight. There was a lot of playing the ball out from the back (excessively so) in the first half and Hull penned us in.

For the vast majority of the 2nd half, Hull were the ones penned in. Saints dominated it, but ran out of time. Another ten minutes might have resulted in a draw, such was the pressure being applied by Saints.

2 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Aye, 25 matches without defeat, then 2 in a week.

I was at the match tonight.

Of the three Scottish boys, only Armstrong started. Adams came on at half-time and Fraser a little after that.

TBH, I was concerned from the moment I saw the starting line up.

Saints lost the match in the first half. I think Russel Martin got it wrong tonight. There was a lot of playing the ball out from the back (excessively so) in the first half and Hull penned us in.

For the vast majority of the 2nd half, Hull were the ones penned in. Saints dominated it, but ran out of time. Another ten minutes might have resulted in a draw, such was the pressure being applied by Saints.

I watched most of the game. Of the Scots lot, Fraser played the best i think. He looked well up for the game. Buzzed around the pitch, and put in lots of decent crosses but no one there to finish them.

1 minute ago, Dave78 said:

I watched most of the game. Of the Scots lot, Fraser played the best i think. He looked well up for the game. Buzzed around the pitch, and put in lots of decent crosses but no one there to finish them.

Aye, I'd agree with that. I've seen him a few times this season and he's never disappointed. Always a busy bee; surging forward, getting balls into the box and weighing in with some cracking goals himself.

I don't think any of the Scots boys played badly tonight... I just think the tactics were wrong in the first half.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:37 PM, BookhouseBoys said:

Totally agree with you on Shankland. I think Christie might have a chance of being tried further back since there’s a ton of evidence now from his domestic games that he can be really effective there. I remember him being good defensively for us even when playing higher up - Denmark at home sticks out in particular. Would be great to have that extra option back there along with Gilmour and McGregor either way, since most of our other midfielders are either AMs or box to box.