Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 337 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

🤣🤣🤣

It's pretty difficult for any player to score against teams he has never played against. 🤣

I said standard of teams though which is kind of my point. Shankland has never scored at a higher standard because he hasnt proven to anybody in the game that he is at that standard. He moved to Belgium and didnt perform. He has only ever really scored at Scottish domestic level. Adams has scored goals against the best teams in one of the top 3 leagues in the world.

If we were purely looking at goalscoring stats then guys like Kenny Deuchar would have got caps back in the day. The level you are scoring at matters and should be taken into account.

As I keep saying though, its just one of many factors. One thing to consider though is people are paid loads of money to scout and recommend players. If Shankland is a much better player than Adams then why hasnt an EPL or Championship side snapped him up. It would only take between 3 and 5 million which is buttons to some of these sides.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

still a cunt

dont see clarke choosing him

Right or Wrong - what he did whilst at Bournemouth during Covid times when he was out of contract and refused to play, if your a Bournemouth Fan - Aye he’s a C**t 

Playing devils advocate here - Ryan Fraser had to look after No.1

It’s a short playing career so he had to be fit/healthy for the next Team he was gonna play for! That was Newcastle, they probably spoke to him in advance and said deal or no deal…… 

The Scotland incident, aye he was a c**t - from what I recall he was training for Newcastle shortly after pulling oot of a Scotland Squad, will S.Clarke hold that against him? Surely not, not after all this time - life is too short and Scotland players with quality are limited in comparison to the elite Nations! Steve Clarke doesn’t suffer fools gladly from what I can see IMO and he keeps the Team/Squad at arms length from what I gather but if he ( S.Clarke ) wants to cement a Legacy at this Euro’s and the next World Cup then I think his net will be cast far and wide, nobody is discounted = if they improve the Squad or what they have. Then they are brought into the fold 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

If R.Fraser continues this trajectory, then he is on that Plane going to Germany 🇩🇪 

4 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Right or Wrong - what he did whilst at Bournemouth during Covid times when he was out of contract and refused to play, if your a Bournemouth Fan - Aye he’s a C**t 

Playing devils advocate here - Ryan Fraser had to look after No.1

It’s a short playing career so he had to be fit/healthy for the next Team he was gonna play for! That was Newcastle, they probably spoke to him in advance and said deal or no deal…… 

The Scotland incident, aye he was a c**t - from what I recall he was training for Newcastle shortly after pulling oot of a Scotland Squad, will S.Clarke hold that against him? Surely not, not after all this time - life is too short and Scotland players with quality are limited in comparison to the elite Nations! Steve Clarke doesn’t suffer fools gladly from what I can see IMO and he keeps the Team/Squad at arms length from what I gather but if he ( S.Clarke ) wants to cement a Legacy at this Euro’s and the next World Cup then I think his net will be cast far and wide, nobody is discounted = if they improve the Squad or what they have. Then they are brought into the fold 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

If R.Fraser continues this trajectory, then he is on that Plane going to Germany 🇩🇪 

less of the common sense please

always disliked fraser as a player too, shite end product most of the time and very lightweight

2 minutes ago, Kirk said:

less of the common sense please

always disliked fraser as a player too, shite end product most of the time and very lightweight

HaHa 😂

As a Dandie and a Scotland Fan, R.Fraser is a poor man’s Shaun Maloney, would love to have a Maloney type player in this current squad 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

14 minutes ago, broraboy said:

HaHa 😂

As a Dandie and a Scotland Fan, R.Fraser is a poor man’s Shaun Maloney, would love to have a Maloney type player in this current squad 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Ryan Gauld sitting in Canada patiently waiting

Brilliant to see Billy Gilmour getting such a good run of games. I was surprised he started yesterday, assumed he’d be rested, but he’s clearly earned RDZ’s trust and alongside Gross (potential opponent at Euros!) seems to be a first pick in CM. He’s now reaching 100 career starts, and once he finds his shooting boots I can see him going up another level.

Fascinating to see Ryan Christie being reinvented in the CDM role (helped change game when he came on at half time yesterday losing 2-0). It looks like his switch to this role (maybe replacing Jack) could open up an attacking position in the Euros squad, for someone like Barnes - if he gets himself fit…

16 hours ago, thesaint said:

Just saw your message after looking at bbc sport giving Gilmour man of the match with 8 out of 10.

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

91% successful pass rate according to opta. Guess if you make a 100 passes in a game you will make more mistakes than someone making 30

I can only assume he had a significantly better second half in that case. 
He was honestly pretty poor first half. 

50 minutes ago, cc87 said:

Brilliant to see Billy Gilmour getting such a good run of games. I was surprised he started yesterday, assumed he’d be rested, but he’s clearly earned RDZ’s trust and alongside Gross (potential opponent at Euros!) seems to be a first pick in CM. He’s now reaching 100 career starts, and once he finds his shooting boots I can see him going up another level.

Fascinating to see Ryan Christie being reinvented in the CDM role (helped change game when he came on at half time yesterday losing 2-0). It looks like his switch to this role (maybe replacing Jack) could open up an attacking position in the Euros squad, for someone like Barnes - if he gets himself fit…

More certain to allow room for Shankland as the striker or Fraser.

1 hour ago, cc87 said:

Christie becoming a CDM could be a big boost for the squad. As you say it opens up an attacking midfield spot for the likes of Barnes or Fraser should we choose to play him there. 

I think Christie is suited to the role of CDM as he has endless stamina and is quite tenacious in winning the ball back as well as being technically good as well. Perhaps hes slightly wasted some of his career as an attacking mid. His form for Bournemouth recently suggests he might have. 

1 hour ago, cc87 said:

I knew he'd been moved back but I didn't know he was playing particularly as a defensive midfielder. That is good news then. So our midfield would be Christie/McGinn/McTominay and then one of McGregor/Gilmour? 

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

I knew he'd been moved back but I didn't know he was playing particularly as a defensive midfielder. That is good news then. So our midfield would be Christie/McGinn/McTominay and then one of McGregor/Gilmour? 

Having 4 EPL midfielders gives us a big psychological boost. Though playing the Celtic captain also looks good.

I think Christie now being a CDM option will almost certainly close the door on Jack making the final 23. Especially since we have McLean, who is far more versatile than Jack, and can be a back up at CB as well as midfield.

As we know, goals were an issue in the last tournament, so if we can get another on-form attacker in the squad without leaving ourselves threadbare in another position, then that's great.

Christie in a CDM role at club level  seems to have worked well for him but at this moment in time it is not something Clarke has contemplated or tried. Would he be willing to try this? If so he only has four games and if he doesn't try it then evidently Christie will remain an attacking option. In any case I do not think Jack will be missing out because of this as he'll be missing out anyway. There are (I am pretty sure) only eight midfield slots up for grabs and to manufacture a place for Jack you'd need to leave out one of the mainstays of the squad which isn't going to happen. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

37 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Christie in a CDM role at club level  seems to have worked well for him but at this moment in time it is not something Clarke has contemplated or tried. Would he be willing to try this? If so he only has four games and if he doesn't try it then evidently Christie will remain an attacking option. In any case I do not think Jack will be missing out because of this as he'll be missing out anyway. There are (I am pretty sure) only eight midfield slots up for grabs and to manufacture a place for Jack you'd need to leave out one of the mainstays of the squad which isn't going to happen. 

You are probably right. Jack isn't even a guaranteed starter for Rangers, so I'm not sure he even deserves to be in the squad. Same goes for Souttar. We might end up having no Rangers players at the Euros again. (Unless Shankland signs for them)

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Tommy Conway goal v West Ham 

Great touch and finish. Probably the best striking prospect ATM. Looks a natural finisher, if he could step up a level, we could have a goalscorer.

33 minutes ago, bdgsct said:

Great touch and finish. Probably the best striking prospect ATM. Looks a natural finisher, if he could step up a level, we could have a goalscorer.

That makes 7 goals in 17 games following up from 12 goals in 38 last season, and only just 21. If he continues that trajectory at that level or above you've got to think he's the next in line when our centre forward depth fades away through bad form/injury

5 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

That makes 7 goals in 17 games following up from 12 goals in 38 last season, and only just 21. If he continues that trajectory at that level or above you've got to think he's the next in line when our centre forward depth fades away through bad form/injury

He's definitely a striker with lots of potential. He should probably be 4th choice right now and if theres injuries then he will have a chance of going to the euros provided he scores a few more this season.

Was at the QPR V Bournemouth match at the weekend and the new QPR manager played Dykes as a rampaging left sided second forward (sort of Mbappe role) alongside the young Irish centre Armstrong (real speedstar that kid). Lyndon did fine, scored his goal via a deflection and had a header and shot on target. Got subbed presumably because he was knackered with all that running up and down the wing.

Christie (along with Kluivert) changed the game completely after half time and can't see Christie being left out of the starting 11 again. Great, influential performance.

It's a shame the squads are back down to 23 as it probably means Conway will miss out but he looks very promising.

A lot of people keep talking about Brown's scoring record but it's worth noting Stoke often played him on the right and Luton play him on the left. It's rare he actually plays as an out and out striker except when he's come on for Scotland. In an ideal scenario I'd have him and Shankland on the bench as one offers pace and the other offers finishing. 

Part of me thinks we'll see Barnes between now and the Euros. Last time it was Adams who was picked despite having not played in qualifying and I think we'll do the same with Barnes and whilst it'll be a shame for whoever ultimately misses out, he's a quality player who's quick and can score.

Young Liam Morrison should be lining up against Man Utd tonight in front of a sold out crowd  for Wigan. 

On the subject of Tommy Conway, one the project managers in my work is huge Bristol City fan and raves about him, i've kept an eye on him this season off the back of that and he looks a real player.

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

It's a shame the squads are back down to 23 as it probably means Conway will miss out but he looks very promising.

A lot of people keep talking about Brown's scoring record but it's worth noting Stoke often played him on the right and Luton play him on the left. It's rare he actually plays as an out and out striker except when he's come on for Scotland. In an ideal scenario I'd have him and Shankland on the bench as one offers pace and the other offers finishing. 

Part of me thinks we'll see Barnes between now and the Euros. Last time it was Adams who was picked despite having not played in qualifying and I think we'll do the same with Barnes and whilst it'll be a shame for whoever ultimately misses out, he's a quality player who's quick and can score.

Pretty much concur with everything thing you say csinclair 👌

A 23 man squad will leave several players disappointed, which is understandable and makes S.Clarkes job a tricky one 

Conway is a great prospect, although he was taken along last June to the Spain training camp prior to the Norway away + Georgia home games - there was other youth players invited along but without checking it escapes me!?! 

As for Brown, I think his performance against Norway let him down and I think he’ll know that as well - I think it’s Brown who ultimately that doesn’t make that 23 man squad at present.

At the moment I’d have Shankland making that 23 man squad 

H.Barnes if and it’s a big if, starts playing by end of January / beginning of February then I think he makes the squad in March friendlies 

There is a link I’ve posted below with Harvey Barnes and what he can potentially deliver, on YouTube and it’s called

( Harvey Barnes BEST goals 🚀 ) not sure if link below will work but for those of Us that after interested then have a quick view…….

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiCq6mY_82DAxVOiv0HHUJaCWAQtwJ6BAgOEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DANqQT-Z3ZAs&usg=AOvVaw1hxU116oR5BBevfeyWxlqb&opi=89978449

1 hour ago, broraboy said:

Pretty much concur with everything thing you say csinclair 👌

A 23 man squad will leave several players disappointed, which is understandable and makes S.Clarkes job a tricky one 

Conway is a great prospect, although he was taken along last June to the Spain training camp prior to the Norway away + Georgia home games - there was other youth players invited along but without checking it escapes me!?! 

As for Brown, I think his performance against Norway let him down and I think he’ll know that as well - I think it’s Brown who ultimately that doesn’t make that 23 man squad at present.

At the moment I’d have Shankland making that 23 man squad 

H.Barnes if and it’s a big if, starts playing by end of January / beginning of February then I think he makes the squad in March friendlies 

There is a link I’ve posted below with Harvey Barnes and what he can potentially deliver, on YouTube and it’s called

( Harvey Barnes BEST goals 🚀 ) not sure if link below will work but for those of Us that after interested then have a quick view…….

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiCq6mY_82DAxVOiv0HHUJaCWAQtwJ6BAgOEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DANqQT-Z3ZAs&usg=AOvVaw1hxU116oR5BBevfeyWxlqb&opi=89978449

Barnes is the one 'eligible' I would include as he offers something we don't really have and can chip in with goals. Failing that, I's rather have Fraser than Brown notwithstanding his iffy behaviour.