Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 307 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, todd said:

Five English and zero Scots starting for the Glasgow Rangers. Good times

And most likely youngster to get brought on is Northern Irish. 

Ryan Jack is really struggling to hold down a starting spot. I don't really think he is going to be deserving of a squad place for the Euros. Nor Souttar.

12 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Ryan Jack always gets injured.

35 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Ryan Jack was injured playing for Scotland.

Not sure how he got injured. He was only on for 15-20 minutes, wasn't he? I can't remember him getting injured during the match. Played well when he came on but could we trust him for tournament football?

Just now, Hertsscot said:

Not sure how he got injured. He was only on for 15-20 minutes, wasn't he? I can't remember him getting injured during the match. Played well when he came on but could we trust him for tournament football?

His fitness has always been his biggest limiting factor.

There was a time 3-4 years ago he was absolutely flying and would play next to McGregor in the midfield 2 for Scotland whenever available. Think there was a stat that thru his first 12 or 15 appearances for Scotland we had never lost with him on the pitch.

He's never quite hit the same level after a long absence where he was injured for a good 8-10months. Cracking player when fit and in form, the standard of our midfield nowadays is frightening though.

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He’s nowhere near good enough so rightly is miles out the picture for a call up. Also a wanker 

Ok the guys had his off the field issues but according to the BBC's Lewis Irons he is a really popular figure in the Scotland dressing room . 

Nowhere near good enough could be labelled at any of our number 9 options.  I'd take him over Jacob Brown any day of the week.

5 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Nowhere near good enough could be labelled at any of our number 9 options.  

Hmmmm....

Oli McBurnie 16 caps 0 goals

Lyndon Dykes 35 caps 9 goals

Che Adams 26 Caps 5 goals

Lawrence Shankland 7 caps 2 goals

Kevin Nisbet 11 caps 1 goal

Jacob Brown 7 caps 0 goals

And it is not even as if McBurnie put in mind-blowing displays for us when he played - he didn't.

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmmmm....

Oli McBurnie 16 caps 0 goals

Lyndon Dykes 35 caps 9 goals

Che Adams 26 Caps 5 goals

Lawrence Shankland 7 caps 2 goals

Kevin Nisbet 11 caps 1 goal

Jacob Brown 7 caps 0 goals

And it is not even as if McBurnie put in mind-blowing displays for us when he played - he didn't.

Ok your figures are right McBurnie hasn't done it for Scotland & thats probably the main reason he isn't currently being selected as it seems it's got nothing to do with his character which I'm pleased to say .

I vaguely recall him missing a sitter somewhere in the sun but I've no idea how many clear cut chances he hasn't taken.  His club scoring record tells me it would be only a matter of time before he gets that lucky break for Scotland & he wouldn't have to bag more than 3 or 4 goals in his next handful of games to have similar stats to the rest.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he should be selected, if everyone is on form come next June it's Adams, Dykes & Stewart for me but if any of those are injured or still out of form then there could be a pathway in for a on form McBurnie or any of the others.

2 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Ok your figures are right McBurnie hasn't done it for Scotland & thats probably the main reason he isn't currently being selected as it seems it's got nothing to do with his character which I'm pleased to say .

I vaguely recall him missing a sitter somewhere in the sun but I've no idea how many clear cut chances he hasn't taken.  His club scoring record tells me it would be only a matter of time before he gets that lucky break for Scotland & he wouldn't have to bag more than 3 or 4 goals in his next handful of games to have similar stats to the rest.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he should be selected, if everyone is on form come next June it's Adams, Dykes & Stewart for me but if any of those are injured or still out of form then there could be a pathway in for a on form McBurnie or any of the others.

The way I see it he has had more than a fair crack of the whip from Scotland and he just hasn't shown he is worth persevering with. Don't get me wrong if Clarke thinks otherwise and selects him (which I doubt) then he'll get my full backing.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The position Everton are in I think they feel Patterson is too expansive a player to play. Young is far more defensive-minded and they are trying to keep it tight at the back. In answer to your question I say he isn't.

Maybe someone to get forward to whip the ball in is what they need. 

I will admit I don't know enough about Everton or the EPL but I refuse to believe a 38 year old Ashley Young is better than Patterson.

Patterson on now

People would do well to recognize that McBurnie's 16 caps were largely part of a poor team which quite unfairly expected him to lead the line on his own. He didn't set the world alight by any means in a Scotland jersey but his 16 previous caps were under different circumstances than the team find themselves in now.

I think he could be a very useful addition. He is able to bring supporting players into play as well as pop up with the odd goal and does seem like a really likeable lad in interviews and social media. People forget he slotted home the 4th penalty in Serbia when the entire world would have expected him to miss. Shows he has character about him as well.

17 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

People would do well to recognize that McBurnie's 16 caps were largely part of a poor team which quite unfairly expected him to lead the line on his own. He didn't set the world alight by any means in a Scotland jersey but his 16 previous caps were under different circumstances than the team find themselves in now.

I think he could be a very useful addition. He is able to bring supporting players into play as well as pop up with the odd goal and does seem like a really likeable lad in interviews and social media. People forget he slotted home the 4th penalty in Serbia when the entire world would have expected him to miss. Shows he has character about him as well.

No he also played in a fair few of Clarke's early matches when we began to get decent results in the Nation League and still couldn't score or make any real impression. It bugs me when there are calls to call-up a tried and failed striker (16 caps 0 goals) yet a player amongst our all time top goalscorers with 18bin Kenny Miller regularly took pelters and was dubbed Kenny Misser. Sums up Scottish mentality I reckon.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

No he also played in a fair few of Clarke's early matches when we began to get decent results in the Nation League and still couldn't score or make any real impression. It bugs me when there are calls to call-up a tried and failed striker (16 caps 0 goals) yet a player amongst our all time top goalscorers with 18bin Kenny Miller regularly took pelters and was dubbed Kenny Misser. Sums up Scottish mentality I reckon.

Not sure how many and who against Miller scored in his first 16 caps but it wasn't many. Just checked it was  2,one against Iceland and one against Germany.

The main reason for wanting McBurnie is his club career so far and only Adams has the same sort of record.

I doubt if there are any defenders who would prefer to play against McBurnie rather than Dykes, Shankland or Brown.

McBurnie is also a massive asset in defence, and with the lack of quality we have at the back we need 10 outfield players that can contribute.

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure how many and who against Miller scored in his first 16 caps but it wasn't many. Just checked it was  2,one against Iceland and one against Germany.

The main reason for wanting McBurnie is his club career so far and only Adams has the same sort of record.

I doubt if there are any defenders who would prefer to play against McBurnie rather than Dykes, Shankland or Brown.

McBurnie is also a massive asset in defence, and with the lack of quality we have at the back we need 10 outfield players that can contribute.

It is two more than McBurnie will ever get for us. Club form is secondary as far as I am concerned. What players do for us is much more important and he has done nowhere near enough. And I do not recall him boosting our defence at any time in his games for us.

Not saying that McBurnie deserves to be in the squad at the moment but he was pretty unlucky to not score  in his early Scotland caps. From memory he has hit the bar/post twice with headers and had a 20 yarder off the bar. 

Lots of early subs off (most of the time because he was shite) and late subs on hasn’t helped his goals/game ratio either. 

Wouldn’t rule him out but he’s got a lot of improvements to make at club level first. 

4 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I certainly can't remember McBurnie missing many decent chances or even many half chances.The team was struggling to provide chances for the forwards in most of the games he appeared in.It took bottle to take that penalty against Serbia with all the abuse he was receiving.Apart from a personal dislike of McBurnie there can be no reason if he is playing well in the premier league for Sheffield.Utd that he shouldn't be recalled.If you didn't play footballers for stupid things they have done off the field then you would be discounting plenty of them from being selected. As for that bit of banter he had with Fleck.Just daft banter.He has been commited to playing for Scotland at under 19,under 21 and full team.Even going on that daft South American tour when many dodged it.More commited to Scotland than those characters that plenty are shouting for to be included.Not saying he should be included if he doesn't score a good few goals before the euros but if he does then he has to come into the equation at least.