Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 290 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

17 hours ago, syecosse said:

Scots u19 CB Louis Jackson has been training with Man utds first team ahead of the cup game.

Nice to know, sounds promising 🤞

I know you've mentioned Luis Binks before, apparently had a good game for Coventry last night, fans saying he is a very composed left footed centre back with a good range of passing.

He is the just the style of defender we need to find that's capable of stepping up to senior level. Lads only just turned 22 & already has plenty first team experience in Italy .  I reckon a good season playing well & regularly at Coventry & he could be a dark horse to make our Euro 24 squad 🤞🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/26/2023 at 11:28 AM, theabsentee said:

Nice to know, sounds promising 🤞

I know you've mentioned Luis Binks before, apparently had a good game for Coventry last night, fans saying he is a very composed left footed centre back with a good range of passing.

He is the just the style of defender we need to find that's capable of stepping up to senior level. Lads only just turned 22 & already has plenty first team experience in Italy .  I reckon a good season playing well & regularly at Coventry & he could be a dark horse to make our Euro 24 squad 🤞🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Yeah for some reason I forget he has gone Coventry on loan, just had a look plenty of fans loving him,apparently Bologna want over 10m for him as signed a contratc to 2026, looks like a number of decent young CBs are having good loans so far or promising Binks and Bowat probably for the level of the loan, Morrison looking good at Wigan plus a few others. 

Watched the last 15 mins of the 1st half of Rangers game. Somebody asked the other day if young guys like Rice were likely to break into the team. 

If Beale doesnt put Rice on at half time in this game then if I was Rice id be asking serious questions. Livi have offered nothing. Rangers have 70% possession, 9 corners etc

Absolutely no need to have both Jack and Lundstrum play the 2nd half. Put Rice on and see if he can unlock defences who sit deep whilst they still have something to play for.

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Doak was lively. Should have had a goal. 

KT assist.

Watched Liverpool game to see more of Doak. Based on tonight and the Europa league game last week I dont think he is quite there yet in terms of a call up.  I have zero doubt that he will be a great player but needs more experience which it looks like he will get at Liverpool. 

I wouldnt be against him training with the 1st team etc though. 

Mentioned it above but it just saddens me that most English clubs see no issue with playing a couple of youngsters in these games but in Scotland its basically still seen as a really sought after, must win trophy. I can understand it from non Old Firm sides but other than 1 part of a treble, it should be a competition that the OF use to blood their best prospects. Im not even saying dont put out a good side but take Rangers tonight just as an example. Would Rangers have been at risk if they had started Rice or Kind rather than Lundstrum and Davies?

21 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Watched Liverpool game to see more of Doak. Based on tonight and the Europa league game last week I dont think he is quite there yet in terms of a call up.  I have zero doubt that he will be a great player but needs more experience which it looks like he will get at Liverpool. 

Mentioned it above but it just saddens me that most English clubs see no issue with playing a couple of youngsters in these games but in Scotland its basically still seen as a really sought after, must win trophy. I can understand it from non Old Firm sides but other than 1 part of a treble, it should be a competition that the OF use to blood their best prospects. Im not even saying dont put out a good side but take Rangers tonight just as an example. Would Rangers have been at risk if they had started Rice or Kind rather than Lundstrum and Davies?

Disagree I’d call Doak up 100%. Starting for a club like Liverpool in Europe & league cup & doing well is absolutely enough to warrant a call up 

18 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Doak got a standing ovation when he went off apparently.

Patterson being praised In Everton win.

Livramento MOM v Man City.

Erhahon, Burroghs and Hamilton Al doing well against West Ham first team for Lincoln( House was missing) 

It's probably Lupus 

45 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

But both old firm are just to entrenched in outdoing each other and appeasing their mental entitled fan bases, it will never change. Complete Mickey Mouse trophy in the grand scheme of works football. Worst thing Rangers done was applying back to the Scottish league in 2012. Should have went to England.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Disagree I’d call Doak up 100%. Starting for a club like Liverpool in Europe & league cup & doing well is absolutely enough to warrant a call up 

I suppose it depends on the definition of doing well. Based purely on the minutes he has played for Liverpool both last season and this season he hasnt done well (if you are comparing him to a finished 1st team standard player). If thats the test then he has done ok.

The reason everybody including myself are so excited about him and his performances is the potential, the flashes of brilliance, especially at such a young age. He is getting some game time at Liverpool atm not because of his current performances but because Klopp knows he requires it to become a top top player.

However international football is different. Especially in our current situation. There are normally 2 games per international break and both games normally are must win / get a result. Doaks current level of ok performace could actually do more harm than good to his overall development especially given the expectations that would be placed on him.

If our situation was different and we were similar to Wales or ROI currently then yes call him up, play him and allow him to get experience. However we are fighting to get to a championship and potentially be a top seed. There is no room for giving experience without return. 

Give Doak another 6 months and hopefully he will turn some of the potential into match changing performances. Thats the time to call him up.

10 hours ago, JECK said:

But both old firm are just to entrenched in outdoing each other and appeasing their mental entitled fan bases, it will never change. Complete Mickey Mouse trophy in the grand scheme of works football. Worst thing Rangers done was applying back to the Scottish league in 2012. Should have went to England.

And what makes you think they would have been welcome down south with all the baggage surrounding them ?

5 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

And what makes you think they would have been welcome down south with all the baggage surrounding them ?

Just about every English team (Liverpool/Man Utd/Everton excepted) seem to have a fair chunk of their support that hang out the backside of Rangers. 

Only had to see Newcastle fans pre season or where the England fans drank earlier this month. 

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Just about every English team (Liverpool/Man Utd/Everton excepted) seem to have a fair chunk of their support that hang out the backside of Rangers. 

Only had to see Newcastle fans pre season or where the England fans drank earlier this month. 

But would they want them or their hordes marauding thru their own cities causing mayhem & singing their abhorrent songs?

11 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

If I owned Rangers at that time I would have purchased a financially struggling English side already in the league and relocated them to just on the English side of the border. Changed the name to Glasgow Rangers and trained at the usual training ground. Everything could be based in Glasgow but a stadium could eventually be built just over the border. Its not a long drive from Glasgow and probably easier for all the buses coming across from NI.

Sell it to the masses as a one up on Celtic who are stuck in Scotland witg the SFA and clubs who all hate Rangers and couldnt wait to try and kill them etc but now Rangers are going to get the riches of England and compete at the top tier etc. Imo the masses would have lapped it up. 

Investment wise it would have made sence, whatever the outlay would be would be nothing compared to the price you could sell Rangers in the EPL at.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Don't know, the most the teams seem happy to take part in the Rangers songs when they play them pre season. 

Celtic probably be less welcome. 

Very much so. The average English person will know about the IRA and the things they have done, but they're less likely to know about the Battle of the Boyne, the Siege of Derry or Billy Fullarton, or any of the other crap Rangers fans sing about.

I think the fanbases of some English teams admire Rangers in an Alf Garnet kind of way - they're mainly amused by them but a little part of them approves of their act and the fact they're allowed to get away with it.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Very much so. The average English person will know about the IRA and the things they have done, but they're less likely to know about the Battle of the Boyne, the Siege of Derry or Billy Fullarton, or any of the other crap Rangers fans sing about.

I think the fanbases of some English teams admire Rangers in an Alf Garnet kind of way - they're mainly amused by them but a little part of them approves of their act and the fact they're allowed to get away with it.

Or they do as they do with so much of their history and choose to ignore their misdoings by the British Empire even though much of it is heinous.

18 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I suppose it depends on the definition of doing well. Based purely on the minutes he has played for Liverpool both last season and this season he hasnt done well (if you are comparing him to a finished 1st team standard player). If thats the test then he has done ok.

The reason everybody including myself are so excited about him and his performances is the potential, the flashes of brilliance, especially at such a young age. He is getting some game time at Liverpool atm not because of his current performances but because Klopp knows he requires it to become a top top player.

However international football is different. Especially in our current situation. There are normally 2 games per international break and both games normally are must win / get a result. Doaks current level of ok performace could actually do more harm than good to his overall development especially given the expectations that would be placed on him.

If our situation was different and we were similar to Wales or ROI currently then yes call him up, play him and allow him to get experience. However we are fighting to get to a championship and potentially be a top seed. There is no room for giving experience without return. 

Give Doak another 6 months and hopefully he will turn some of the potential into match changing performances. Thats the time to call him up.

The "okay" performances you refer to are very much nuanced. Context is everything. They might be "okay" for a 27 year old. For a 17 year old, they are exceptional. He is miles and miles ahead of everyone even close to his age. 

I do agree that he shouldn't be handed significant game time against Spain or France. He also shouldn't take the place of any of the guys that would have been in the squad anyway. But this isn't the Euros. We don't have a limit. Bring 1 extra player than we otherwise would have. What's the harm?

You're saying get him in in 6 months. I assume that means you think he should be in the Euros squad. If that's the case, why not at the very least introduce him to his fellow Euros squad members now? 

He'd also incidentally be the only 17 year old to ever be capped for Scotland. That would be quite the  confidence booster for him.