Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 249 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

38 minutes ago, borojock said:

I dont quite understand some of the negativity Jacob Brown seems to get from a few on this board 

• He's playing regular football which many of our players arent 
  • He's playing at a decent level 
  • Playing at a decent club 
  • Scoring decent amount of goals
  • Has showed commitment to the team by regularly turning up even when not getting any mins 

I do wonder those that are having a pop at him how many mins of actual football have you seen him play, are you making an informed opinion on him based on actually watching him or just making lazy assumptions 

Not saying the guy should be a starter for us but suggesting some of the comments on him are unfairly founded 

My only issue with Brown and players like mcburnnie is they don’t greatly enhance what we’ve got attacking wise. They’re essentially filling in gaps till hopefully someone with proper cutting edge quality comes along. That team is one top quality player final 3rd player from being a serious international team - one that could make an impact at a tournament. Brown, McBurnnie etc are the same old that will never do that. You might want to check his stats if you think he’s scoring a decent amount of goals at club level.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, JECK said:

My only issue with Brown and players like mcburnnie is they don’t greatly enhance what we’ve got attacking wise. They’re essentially filling in gaps till hopefully someone with proper cutting edge quality comes along. That team is one top quality player final 3rd player from being a serious international team - one that could make an impact at a tournament. Brown, McBurnnie etc are the same old that will never do that. You might want to check his stats if you think he’s scoring a decent amount of goals at club level.

Whilst that is correct, its also true of almost every squad in international football.  The very nature of squad football is that there will be squad fillers who are next in line to be replaced however you still need them until such a time comes.

10 hours ago, borojock said:

I dont quite understand some of the negativity Jacob Brown seems to get from a few on this board 

• Has showed commitment to the team by regularly turning up even when not getting any mins 

I do wonder those that are having a pop at him how many mins of actual football have you seen him play, are you making an informed opinion on him based on actually watching him or just making lazy assumptions 

Not saying the guy should be a starter for us but suggesting some of the comments on him are unfairly founded 

Rankles when you get posters claiming he is some form of competition for Ryan Christie when talent-wise, experience-wise and career-wise he clearly isn't.

He is in our squad as it is deemed the best option we have which I have my doubts. He is one of those options that will be in squads but never truly be utilised because we have better options and he is not a game-changing player - sorry if that seems harsh but that is how I see it. I'd sooner see players with more potential that can be game-changers in there such as Ben Doak.

12 hours ago, borojock said:

I dont mind the guy. End of the day we need guys who will turn up for squads who know they probably wont play much if at all. At least brown is willing to do that and he eventually might turn into a good championship striker and then start making a contribution to the national team. 

Dykes has done well for us and his scoring record is nothing special at club level. Maybe brown can replicate dykes in the future.

Edited by mccaughey85

I know what you are trying to say, but we don’t need guys who turn up for squads, we need decent strikers. Still some way off that……

Christie doesn’t score much but he is at a higher level and way more dynamic in overall play than brown (admittedly, that’s based on the very few times I’ve seen brown).

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I'm not saying he's better than Christie; just criticising the latter's lack of goals.

Has his lack of goals hindered our results? No. When he has scored they have been critical goals recently and he has a value to the side for his all-round team play. All-round Christie is the far better option. Our manager thinks so, other football clubs think so and his career says so.

Was looking at Celtic today, Ralston, Welsh and maybe Turnbull need to get out of there if they are kick on, Welsh could have been playing in serie a this season, but surely he gives these guys game time/more time now, on a plus side they gave a youngster there debut at the end Summers 18 year old. 

4 hours ago, syecosse said:

Was looking at Celtic today, Ralston, Welsh and maybe Turnbull need to get out of there if they are kick on, Welsh could have been playing in serie a this season, but surely he gives these guys game time/more time now, on a plus side they gave a youngster there debut at the end Summers 18 year old. 

I dont really see this as a plus. They were 4 nil up after 27 mins and brought on a youngster with 22 mins to play and this guy with 2 mins to play.

As ive said on here before if the OF think that a young player might cost them the game when they are 4 nil up against a bottom 6 side then that player should be nowhere near the club.

Unless he injured, a decent media should be asking Beale if he still intends to give McCrorie some game time this season like he said he would in Jan when the transfer window was open. However we dont have such a media.

Id love to find tbe thread wbere somebody argued with me that Lowry would get loads of game time this season. King has also been booted from 1st team footy and Devine never heard from again despite doing nothing wrong, the opposite in fact.

Norwich young Scottish keepers impressing just checked to see how they are getting on Archie Mair is impressing on loan at Notts County as they try to get promotion against Wrexham, Jon Mccracken impressed on loan at Stevenage before injuring himself and returned to Norwich, a bit of positivity for young keepers. 

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I dont really see this as a plus. They were 4 nil up after 27 mins and brought on a youngster with 22 mins to play and this guy with 2 mins to play.

As ive said on here before if the OF think that a young player might cost them the game when they are 4 nil up against a bottom 6 side then that player should be nowhere near the club.

Unless he injured, a decent media should be asking Beale if he still intends to give McCrorie some game time this season like he said he would in Jan when the transfer window was open. However we dont have such a media.

Id love to find tbe thread wbere somebody argued with me that Lowry would get loads of game time this season. King has also been booted from 1st team footy and Devine never heard from again despite doing nothing wrong, the opposite in fact.

Sorry meant to I suppose a positive, Devine has been injured and Lowry injurys and his Mum died I do not think has helped although not saying he would have gotten much time especially with Cantwell arriving and Hagi back. 

On 4/15/2023 at 11:18 AM, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

This is what we want though, right. A nice settled squad that only changes when someone comes along that is clearly better than what we have. One at a time guys get phased out, but remain available if we have injuries or whatever.

Jack will likely retire either after qualifying for Germany (if we fail) or after the tournament if we go. Hackney is in prime position for his spot at the moment but I would say is unlikely to take it before then unless he moves to and establishes himself at a decent EPL club. Getting promoted and playing the EPL (well) will also possibly see a route to the squad but I don’t think that’s an automatic qualifying criteria for us any longer.

He's got all of 14 caps for Scotland. I'd absolutely amazed if a bit part player at best with so few caps had the brass neck to announce his international retirement.

51 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Shame Calvin Ramsey has not been able to stay fit and get minutes as Trent alexander has been moved the last 2 games to midfield could have been a great chance for him. 

He's still technically been the right back, they've just played him a bit more like Man city do with their full backs where they drift into midfield.
Given the situation at Liverpool I doubt Klopp would risk playing Ramsey even if he was fit

10 hours ago, syecosse said:

20 year old goalkeeper Robbie Hemfrey made his Championship debut for Rotherham against Burnley seems to of impressed, came on at half time after there senior keeper got injured.

A shame their manager has said he's looking at an emergency loan for someone to play at the weekend. Maybe if they confirm they're staying up with games to spare he might get a chance again