Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 184 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Doak could be a Gareth Bale type player.  Also could see a first team debut for him if he keeps his form up in the not too distant future. 

Robbie Ure has talent too and scores goals. Big and pacey. 

If Liverpool keep wracking up the injures, he might be there sooner than most think.

Ure I'm not sure about. He has decent technique but will take a poor touch at times. He has the build so there is every chance, but he just reminds me of another Rudden and Hardie. Decent at youth level but never making it at Rangers.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Well at least there is King and Lowry who would have been eligible, as far as I know. I quite like the look of Ure but time will tell. Only saw the Doak moments via Twitter. 

Devine is eligible still aswell. McKinnon,  Weston and others out on loan are also eligible.

Bar McAussland and Fraser the Rangers team is fairly young and has quite a few 2006s. Outside of Doak it's an older Liverpool side. Stuff like that needs to be taken into consideration. 

29 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Goldson off injured. Looks like he's done his thigh. Hopefully just a strain and not a tear.

King on and could probably cement his place until the winter break, depending on the severity of Goldson's injury.

Difficult one, there's not too many centre half's become regulars at King's age and if they are playing regularly they normally have a more experienced player beside them. Maybe Davies could be that player but I don't know enough about him to know if he could fulfil that role. Someone like David Weir would be ideal, that is when he was younger, he might struggle for pace now!

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I can't believe some people dare mention Doak as a potential another Robbie Foy. Only connection between they two are they were Scottish young wingers at Liverpool. That is where the similarities end. Doak has already played first team football unlike Foy. Doak has scored at junior levels for Scotland unlike Foy. Doak is proving himself at European junior levels unlike Foy. Liverpool rated Doak enough to pay around £600,000 for a 16-year-old which was not the case for Foy.

Dont think anyones directly comparing doak to foy. Its just that youth football is rubbish. Even european youth football is pretty poor. Just watch some of it and you will see. Hopefully we get to see doak play proper football soon so that we can see if he has a chance of making it at good level. He looks good but i would rather see if hes capable of doing it in mens football before i get excited.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Doak could be a Gareth Bale type player.  Also could see a first team debut for him if he keeps his form up in the not too distant future. 

Robbie Ure has talent too and scores goals. Big and pacey. 

Lol lets just see if he makes it as a professional footballer first before we pin our hopes on him being our gareth bale.

9 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Devine is eligible still aswell. McKinnon,  Weston and others out on loan are also eligible.

Bar McAussland and Fraser the Rangers team is fairly young and has quite a few 2006s. Outside of Doak it's an older Liverpool side. Stuff like that needs to be taken into consideration. 

Tony Weston is English and Ross McAusland is from the six counties. Definitely not Scottish.

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Dont think anyones directly comparing doak to foy. Its just that youth football is rubbish. Even european youth football is pretty poor. Just watch some of it and you will see. Hopefully we get to see doak play proper football soon so that we can see if he has a chance of making it at good level. He looks good but i would rather see if hes capable of doing it in mens football before i get excited.

Doak has played in a first team Old Firm game. 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol lets just see if he makes it as a professional footballer first before we pin our hopes on him being our gareth bale.

He’s literally close to making his first team debut at Liverpool - this is no Feruz or Dembele. I don’t think there’s any doubt he will have a very good career.

If you’ve seen him play this season you’ll see why there’s a comparison made to how he moves with the ball past people and how Bale does. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

He’s literally close to making his first team debut at Liverpool - this is no Feruz or Dembele. I don’t think there’s any doubt he will have a very good career.

If you’ve seen him play this season you’ll see why there’s a comparison made to how he moves with the ball past people and how Bale does. 

Agreed. When Liverpool start 16-year-olds training with the first team you know they are seriously impressed. Well we knew that already when paying £600,000 for a 16-year-old. Foy never got anywhere near this praise and media exposure at the age of 16.

29 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Ben Woodburn played for Liverpool at 16 and scored for Wales. Last season at hearts on loan and now at Preston. He’s 22. 

Sure there’s hundreds of similar stories. 

Well even if you want to be that pessimistic then if Doak mirrors that then he'd have done better than a lot of players to have played for us than in the recent past.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well even if you want to be that pessimistic then if Doak mirrors that then he'd have done better than a lot of players to have played for us than in the recent past.

Just realistic. Obviously hope the boy goes onto have a great career for us. 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Just realistic. Obviously hope the boy goes onto have a great career for us. 

One thing we have to taken into account is that with twitter etc, we get a lot more exposure to what youths are doing. In the past, it would be no more than word of mouth. So I'm sure there have been other youngsters pulling up trees at youth level that we just didn't know about.

However, as others have said, being played in an old firm match at 16 is no mean feat. He is in an ideal position to reach his full potential. Even if that potential does lead him to another club. Following a similar path to Gilmour, for example, would still be a success.

7 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

This is part of the problem though. Doak was subbed into that Old Firm game at 90+4 minutes - did he even touch the ball? He played in one other league game in Scotland, earning 22 minutes against Dundee United. The media narrative in England is that he was some kind of SPFL regular and not a guy who had a few minutes at 16 to try to convince him to sign a new contract at Celtic. He isn't even the youngest ever to play in the first team for Celtic, that particular honour goes to Jack Aitchison who at 22 is currently playing his trade in League 1 for Barnsley. In fact, of the top 10 youngest players to have played for Celtic only 1 (Kieran Tierney) has gone on to have an absolutely top level career in recent history (the other being Roy Aitken who debuted in 1976). The other successes are Ralston and Liam Henderson, the moderately successful would be Dembele and then 2 (James Smith and Paul George) barely had lower league careers at best.

Doak is an excellent young player but we have had many of those before. I think he will go on to be a very good player, perhaps even elite, but you can't blame people for having reservations on the basis of him basically only playing youth football now.

Edit: Having checked he actually came into the OF game at 87 minutes and 4 minutes extra were played, so he had 7 minutes total.

Edited by Scots_Wha_Hae

44 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

This is part of the problem though. Doak was subbed into that Old Firm game at 90+4 minutes - did he even touch the ball? He played in one other league game in Scotland, earning 22 minutes against Dundee United. The media narrative in England is that he was some kind of SPFL regular and not a guy who had a few minutes at 16 to try to convince him to sign a new contract at Celtic. He isn't even the youngest ever to play in the first team for Celtic, that particular honour goes to Jack Aitchison who at 22 is currently playing his trade in League 1 for Barnsley. In fact, of the top 10 youngest players to have played for Celtic only 1 (Kieran Tierney) has gone on to have an absolutely top level career in recent history (the other being Roy Aitken who debuted in 1976). The other successes are Ralston and Liam Henderson, the moderately successful would be Dembele and then 2 (James Smith and Paul George) barely had lower league careers at best.

Doak is an excellent young player but we have had many of those before. I think he will go on to be a very good player, perhaps even elite, but you can't blame people for having reservations on the basis of him basically only playing youth football now.

Edit: Having checked he actually came into the OF game at 87 minutes and 4 minutes extra were played, so he had 7 minutes total.

Touched the ball five times completed two out of three passes and managed to get booked in a game Celtic were 3-0 up in when he came on.

Safe to say his Old Firm appearance is nothing  other than an addition to his CV.

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Touched the ball five times completed two out of three passes and managed to get booked in a game Celtic were 3-0 up in when he came on.

Safe to say his Old Firm appearance is nothing  other than an addition to his CV.

He might also be the answer to a pub quiz question in 20 years time? 😉

10 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He played a couple of games for celtic in order to persuade him to stay at the club. Theres a massive list of average/rubbish players who got games for celtic and rangers when they were youngsters. Not necessarily saying doak will be one of those but ppl need to calm it down on expectations. Lets see how he does when he gets a chance in the liverpool first team or when he goes out on loan. He looks a talented guy but theres been many talents that end up playing lower league football after being a youth superstar.

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

One thing we have to taken into account is that with twitter etc, we get a lot more exposure to what youths are doing. In the past, it would be no more than word of mouth. So I'm sure there have been other youngsters pulling up trees at youth level that we just didn't know about.

However, as others have said, being played in an old firm match at 16 is no mean feat. He is in an ideal position to reach his full potential. Even if that potential does lead him to another club. Following a similar path to Gilmour, for example, would still be a success.

Thats a good point. Social media means we are more aware of young upcoming stars. I also think that liverpool paying 600k isnt really that a big a deal when you consider the huge money epl clubs have. 25 years ago epl clubs couldnt afford to pay crazy money for random 16 year olds. Now they can throw stupid money at any youngster with the slightest of talent. Not that i am necessarily saying doak is slightly talented. He looks excellent. Just hoping he can transfer his talent into the adult game.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

He played a couple of games for celtic in order to persuade him to stay at the club. Theres a massive list of average/rubbish players who got games for celtic and rangers when they were youngsters. Not necessarily saying doak will be one of those but ppl need to calm it down on expectations. Lets see how he does when he gets a chance in the liverpool first team or when he goes out on loan. He looks a talented guy but theres been many talents that end up playing lower league football after being a youth superstar.

I think maybe we are looking at this from the wrong angle. He got played in an old firm game to persuade him to stay. Let's take a step back and think about what that actually means. Celtic realised they had such a supreme talent that they were willing to throw him into the deep end at such a young age to try and hold onto him. Has that happened before?

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

I think maybe we are looking at this from the wrong angle. He got played in an old firm game to persuade him to stay. Let's take a step back and think about what that actually means. Celtic realised they had such a supreme talent that they were willing to throw him into the deep end at such a young age to try and hold onto him. Has that happened before?

Its a good indication that hes highly thought of but it still doesnt guarantee anything in terms of him making it big. If celtic thought so highly of him then why didnt they offer more wages than liverpool were? 

First team football is the bargaining chip celtic had/have and they used it in order to try and keep him but they are unwilling to pay big bucks to keep what is essentially a highly rated prospect and liverpool have money to throw at any young player they think might have a chance of making it big.

Once doak plays some adult football consistently then we will know what level the lad might make it at. Until then its very much a guessing game. He could easily be a league1/2 player in 5 years time. Wouldnt be the first youth superstar to fail at the top level.