Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 68 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why just from 2018? Career stats are what counts....

Brown 23 goals from 166 games. A goal every 7.21 games.

Watt 73 goals from 318 games. A goal every 4.35 games.

And Watt has that better strike rate playing at a higher level than 

Watt is older therefore will have much more appearances. The stats are flawed

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He has played at a higher level consistently more so than Brown and has a better strike-rate - sorry a far better strike rate than Brown.

Has he? What level has watt played which could be considered higher? 

You're also conveniently leaving out the fact watt has a very questionable attitude

53 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

How many seasons has Brown scored more than 5 league goals and at what level? 

One season in the championship he scored 8 at the age of 20. Its taken watt longer to do that. Watt never managed to do that till this season in the SPFL.

It's not really whether it's brown or watt. My point to you had nothing to do with brown. It was that this so far looks like nothing more than a flash in the pan from watt.

Edited by vanderark14

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It was that this so far looks like nothing more than a flash in the pan from watt.

It could be, but he was also Motherwell's player of the season last year. So his performances have been consistent at the very least. But he is now adding high quality goals to his game. 

I think any other position we wouldn't really be overly fussed, but that 3rd choice slot up-front is very much up for grabs. I like Nisbet, but I would be surprised if his place was as secure as Dykes or Adams.

5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It could be, but he was also Motherwell's player of the season last year. So his performances have been consistent at the very least. But he is now adding high quality goals to his game. 

I think any other position we wouldn't really be overly fussed, but that 3rd choice slot up-front is very much up for grabs. I like Nisbet, but I would be surprised if his place was as secure as Dykes or Adams.

And that's exactly why I said he is competing with Nisbet 

I'd keep Nisbet because there's not much difference between the two except Nisbet is with the squad each time they meet and he knows the system. The 2nd issue is Watts attitude, its very much questionable 

19 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

One season in the championship he scored 8 at the age of 20. Its taken watt longer to do that. Watt never managed to do that till this season in the SPFL.

It's not really whether it's brown or watt. My point to you had nothing to do with brown. It was that this so far looks like nothing more than a flash in the pan from watt.

Incorrect. He scored eight goals in League One not the Championship which was just two more than Watt managed in the SPL at the age of 19.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Incorrect. He scored eight goals in League One not the Championship which was just two more than Watt managed in the SPL at the age of 19.

Apologies I got the league wrong. As I said, I'm not really getting deep into an argument about this being a choice between watt and brown, its not. I actually found it weird your brought brown into this and i should have just said that

The point I was making is watt has done absolutely fuck all in his career, he managed 9 league goals in Scotland and a few want him called up? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by vanderark14

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Apologies I got the league wrong. As I said, I'm not really getting deep into an argument about this being a choice between watt and brown, its not. I actually found it weird your brought brown into this and i should have just said that

The point I was making is watt has done absolutely fuck all in his career, he managed 9 league goals in Scotland and a few want him called up? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Dinnae get your knickers in a knot. The point people are making is about him getting a spot in the squad which is fair enough, Brown made it into the last squad which is why people will ask why Brown and not Watt. Not one person here has suggested he starts for us just that they may, very fairly, feel he would be a better back-up option than Jacob Brown. 

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Dinnae get your knickers in a knot. The point people are making is about him getting a spot in the squad which is fair enough, Brown made it into the last squad which is why people will ask why Brown and not Watt. Not one person here has suggested he starts for us just that they may, very fairly, feel he would be a better back-up option than Jacob Brown. 

Who's getting their knickers in a knot? 

I didn't suggest anyone else suggested he'd start either 

You're the only one making this a choice between watt and brown, I wanted to know why? 

I see watt competing with Nisbet for his spot

Watt has a questionable attitude and has done sweet FA since scoring against Barca. 

The only reason anyone is suggesting Watt for a call up even if is just the squad is because he's having his first purple patch.....at the age of 27 soon to be 28. 

If we call up Watt, you have to drop someone. I don't see anyone deserving to be dropped in favour of Watt yet.

Edited by vanderark14

The Norwich fans are an incredibly harsh bunch. Just flicked over to their forum at half-time and he’s getting pelters again, despite being comfortably their best midfielder. He lacks physicality yes, but that was never going to improve overnight. Dominating possession largely because of his ability on the ball.

5 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

The Norwich fans are an incredibly harsh bunch. Just flicked over to their forum at half-time and he’s getting pelters again, despite being comfortably their best midfielder. He lacks physicality yes, but that was never going to improve overnight. Dominating possession largely because of his ability on the ball.

I think its clear why that is. They do not see him as a Norwich player. They'll bum up and talk up the players that have been there for a few years or are deemed fan favourites over Gilmour.  

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think its clear why that is. They do not see him as a Norwich player. They'll bum up and talk up the players that have been there for a few years or are deemed fan favourites over Gilmour.  

Yes, it can't be easy to win over the fans (and being sat on the bench for so many games by Daniel Farke didn't really give him an opportunity to show what he can do on a regular basis).
I watched a bit of the game today. It crossed my mind that maybe some of his play is a little 'too good' to get noticed by some fans? For example, there were a few occassions in the 2nd half where he received the ball under extreme pressure and immediately played a 'simple' pass to a free player with his first touch. Makes it look very easy, and keeps possession for his team, but maybe doesn't excite some of the more sceptical fans that much?