The news thread - Page 39 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Severance pay for a MP when they resign. £420,000

50 MP's resigned in the last couple of days. £21million 

Makes you proud to be British 

Where are you getting that number from, that sounds ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

Where are you getting that number from, that sounds ridiculous.

That’s because it is nonsense. 

BBC estimating the total cost of severance pay for all resignations as £420k. 

Figure for 1 minister was detailed as £16k. 

6 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

That’s because it is nonsense. 

BBC estimating the total cost of severance pay for all resignations as £420k. 

Figure for 1 minister was detailed as £16k. 

That sounds a lot more realistic. 

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

Ministers get severance pay when they resign, just not £420k each. 

Aye, my point was that 50 MPs didn't resign. They just gave up the extras for being PPSs and ministers and stuff like that. They should get fuk all severance pay. They are still getting paid as MPs.

Gove could make a decent living out of just getting sacked every couple of years. 😂

Edited by Orraloon

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, my point was that 50 MPs didn't resign. They just gave up the extras for being PPSs and ministers and stuff like that. They should get fuk all severance pay. They are still getting paid as MPs.

Gove could make a decent living out of just getting sacked every couple of years. 😂

It’s a different job from being an MP.  Are you suggesting that they shouldn’t be paid for it?

I think it’s a 25% settlement so it’s entirely analogous to someone who is on three months notice resigning and either being put on gardening leave for three months or leaving straight away with a settlement. 

9 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Wants to stay until autumn, the guy is unbelievable. He just wants to stay another month to outlive Teresa May. 

Right, what bastard will lead them next. 

Ben Wallace seems favourite amongst conservative party members according to snap yougov poll. . 

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

It’s a different job from being an MP.  Are you suggesting that they shouldn’t be paid for it?

I think it’s a 25% settlement so it’s entirely analogous to someone who is on three months notice resigning and either being put on gardening leave for three months or leaving straight away with a settlement. 

Yes, they should get paid for the extras but they don't need any severance, as they still have their MPs salary.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Yes, they should get paid for the extras but they don't need any severance, as they still have their MPs salary.

So you think they should be treated differently from every other employee in the country then?

They have *two* jobs and are paid by different employers.   As MPs, they are paid by the House of Commons, as Ministers, they are employed by whatever government department they work for.

If you had two jobs, do you think it would be okay if you didn’t get severance if you left one job with no notice period?

Edited by aaid

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

So you think they should be treated differently from every other employee in the country then?

They have *two* jobs and are paid by different employers.   As MPs, they are paid by the House of Commons, as Ministers, they are employed by whatever government department they work for.

If you had two jobs, do you think it would be okay if you didn’t get severance if you left one job with no notice period?

They get paid by us, the taxpayers.

If I tell my boss I'm going to stop doing overtime I don't expect him to pay me severance because I have chosen to stop doing it. 

18 minutes ago, phart said:

You could get a job as a Tory Minister with that philosophy of how employment should work.

Put them all on zero hour contracts, that's what I say. See how they fukin like it. No work no pay. I would happily personally supervise their time sheets. I'm sure some of them do work very hard. Others are bone idle. Spend most their time getting pished and trying to shag anything that moves.

28 minutes ago, phart said:

You could get a job as a Tory Minister with that philosophy of how employment should work.

Almost as if he’s advocating that there should be one rule for MPs and Ministers and different rules for the rest of us. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Almost as if he’s advocating that there should be one rule for MPs and Ministers and different rules for the rest of us. 

What percentage of the working population do you think get paid three months severance if they chose to resign?

Gardening leave is something which mainly reserved for higher up managers and people who have access to sensitive information, which makes it desirable for companies to get them out the door quickly. These MPs and ministers are the same people who allow companies to use zero hour contacts and hire and fire people with impunity, many of which get little or no severance pay whatsoever. Give these fukers a dose of their own medicine.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Indeed - look at Thatcher - it was her own cabinet who forced her out - even they couldn't stand her policies any longer.

Gove is a genuinely malignant, devious wee rat of a man but unlike Johnson he isn't bone idle - that's what makes him far more dangerous.

I think gove is a strong candidate for leadership. 

Just watched a montage of the Boris years in number 10. Amazing shit show. You forget so much of the chaos 😄 A particular favourite being a Dominic Cummings interview when he said "He doesn't have a plan, he doesn't know how to be Prime Minister, we only got him in there to solve a certain problem not because we thought he was the right person to run the country".

😮 Holy shit.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

What percentage of the working population do you think get paid three months severance if they chose to resign?

Gardening leave is something which mainly reserved for higher up managers and people who have access to sensitive information, which makes it desirable for companies to get them out the door quickly. These MPs and ministers are the same people who allow companies to use zero hour contacts and hire and fire people with impunity, many of which get little or no severance pay whatsoever. Give these fukers a dose of their own medicine.

Anyone who is on three months notice and who leaves their position immediately.  It’s happened to me three times.  it’s pretty common in my industry. 

Gardening leave tends to be used in a couple of cases, firstly where there is a process to go through before someone’s employment is terminated and secondly where someone is moving to go to a competitor and the calculation is made that it’s better to have someone being paid for doing nothing than let them go straight away.

I remember well a conversation with a boss of mine once where he said, to a group of us, some who were complaining about something or other, that you should remember that at some point, you might be relying on these rights yourself,

It sounds to me as if you think that people who are paid well and/or who have done things you don’t agree with should have a lower level of employment rights as you have.   I’ve zero sympathy for any of these jokers in the Tory party but they should have the same rights as anyone else.