The news thread - Page 226 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 minutes ago, dan cake said:

He invented the genre of not being funny but surrounded yourself with payed sycophants who would pish themselves laughing at your every word style DJing, the formula which the radio 1 breakfast show has been using for last 40 years. I’m with Morrissey on this one 

I suppose if you were listening to Radio 2 all day then it could get tiresome

However anytime i listened to him was when i was on the road and it was entertaining in bits

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, dan cake said:

He invented the genre of not being funny but surrounded yourself with payed sycophants who would pish themselves laughing at your every word style DJing, the formula which the radio 1 breakfast show has been using for last 40 years. I’m with Morrissey on this one 

Much as I don’t mind his music, Morrissey is probably the last person I would trust to define humour.

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I suppose if you were listening to Radio 2 all day then it could get tiresome

However anytime i listened to him was when i was on the road and it was entertaining in bits

I agree with this. Every day would be too much, I think any radio programme every day would be too much right enough. 

I couldn't stand him, but he used to be on in the office; despite my vocal protests.

Just inane shyte.

He used to start the show with something called 'Hands Up'.

"Hands up if your shoelaces came undone today".

"Hands up if you like the look of your own neck"

The day I really cracked was when he interrupted Johnny Cash's 'Hurt' with his inane drivel.

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Much as I don’t mind his music, Morrissey is probably the last person I would trust to define humour.

It's not a question of Morrissey's humour.

You know the story of Steve Wright and the Chernobyl disaster? And how Steve Wright returned from the newsflash with Wham's Club Tropicana or such like.

Morrissey heard this and wrote the song 'Panic' with the lyric, 'Hang the DJ'.

Cracking song BTW.

4 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Hang the DJ was written in “honour” of Steve Wright 

I know. There was actually another discussion about Steve Wright on here a while back and I found that out then. I only remembered after reading Rich Natas post above about Johnny Cash and it came flooding back 🙂 

7 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

It's not a question of Morrissey's humour.

You know the story of Steve Wright and the Chernobyl disaster? And how Steve Wright returned from the newsflash with Wham's Club Tropicana or such like.

Morrissey heard this and wrote the song 'Panic' with the lyric, 'Hang the DJ'.

Cracking song BTW.

That was totally unacceptable, though I would hope it was stupidity rather than deliberate. And yes, it is a great song. 

DJ’s are there to entertain the masses, I only heard him on and off occasionally and I enjoyed his show when I heard it.
I wasn’t wrong when I said he would split opinion 🙂

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

It's not actually anti-semitism.  Anti-semitism is a dislike or hatred of Jews (and logically would include other semitic races, such as Arabs but that's never mentioned).  However recently some folk have tried to conflate a dislike/hatred of Israel with anti-semitism.  The two things are actually very different, but it allows anyone criticising Israel to be tarred as anti-semitic.

That's the problem though, some say it's not for non Jewish people to dictate what's offensive to Jews or simply define anti-semitism. It may seem like it's conflated to us or others looking on from the outside as observers of world affairs but the UK parties were supposedly signing up to the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's (full) definition of anti-semitism. I thought that Corbyn's requested exception to the definition sounded reasonable & measured but then I'm not Jewish or may need to be educated further on the matter. 

It's so common now that we seem to be arguing about language used rather than the intention around it (in many 'hot topics'). There are so many articles about anti-semitism re Labour and many of them don't provide context or examples, just accusations flying around. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Steve Wright gone. He probably splits opinion but I liked him even though it’s years since I have listened to the radio regularly. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68287707.amp

I've only just caught on that he died! I thought he'd just been sacked going by the comments 😬

49 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

That's the problem though, some say it's not for non Jewish people to dictate what's offensive to Jews or simply define anti-semitism.

Of course, Jewish people themselves may be split on definitions of anti-Semitism! 

3 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Sure he had Glen Campbell's The Wichita Lineman as well or some part of his show at least.

Used to end his show with that.

Sad news, yes the days of the posse on Radio 1 were annoying, but latterly he pretty much perfected the afternoon show format. Listened to it a lot during the Covid lockdown months.

13 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

I've only just caught on that he died! I thought he'd just been sacked going by the comments 😬

Tbf that would be my fault for posting that he had ‘gone’. I really struggle to write ‘ died’ sometimes, it’s so final , and ‘passed away’ is more fitting for an elderly relative who has been ill. This seems very sudden. 

17 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

That's the problem though, some say it's not for non Jewish people to dictate what's offensive to Jews or simply define anti-semitism. It may seem like it's conflated to us or others looking on from the outside as observers of world affairs but the UK parties were supposedly signing up to the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's (full) definition of anti-semitism. I thought that Corbyn's requested exception to the definition sounded reasonable & measured but then I'm not Jewish or may need to be educated further on the matter. 

It's so common now that we seem to be arguing about language used rather than the intention around it (in many 'hot topics'). There are so many articles about anti-semitism re Labour and many of them don't provide context or examples, just accusations flying around. 

I think that was the problem.  Criticising a country (or its government) is a totally different matter from racism or anti-semitism.  For a start, not all Jews live in or are from Israel, and may Jews are critical of Israel and/or the Israeli government.  That IHRA definition was specifically created to allow anyone who said, for example, that Netanyahu was an evil murderer, to be branded as anti-semitic and nobody was supposed to argue against that line.  I have no time for Netanyahu or his current actions in Gaza, but I don't have anything against anyone just because they choose to follow the Jewish faith. My paternal grandfather fled Lithuania (then part of Russia) in 1867 at the age of 6, due to a pogrom and ended up in Glasgow via Dublin (then in the UK).  I'm a devout atheist with a fully intact tadger, but I do remember the anti-semitism and racism that was prevalent during my youth in the 60s and beyond and which was widely accepted - even some of the campfire songs in the scouts were riddled with various isms without anyone raising an eyebrow.  I hope we have moved beyond those days now but with some sections of society they've just moved on to a different target group.

My own race: Human.

25 minutes ago, dan cake said:

It appears Steve Wright’s death is up there with Klopp leaving Liverpool as a “do you remember where you were when you heard moment” 🙄 

😄

I never realised he was such a significant figure - I'd almost forgotten he existed! Even Newsnight had an extended tribute to him last night.

15 minutes ago, scotlad said:

😄

I never realised he was such a significant figure - I'd almost forgotten he existed! Even Newsnight had an extended tribute to him last night.

Legend, devotion his life to radio, touched us all and a national treasure ffs! I’m not happy he’s dead but he was just an unfunny cunt that played (talked over) records 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

😄

A lot of folk only become famous after they are dead. I have no idea who he was. The only radio program that I sometimes listen to is Off the Ball.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

A lot of folk only become famous after they are dead. I have no idea who he was. The only radio program that I sometimes listen to is Off the Ball.

😂 canny believe someone of your age hasn’t heard of Steve Wright. Have you heard of Tony Blackburn or Ken Bruce ? 

What about George Bowies GBX experience?