The news thread - Page 72 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

27 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Tom Devine was commentating when the cortege was on it's way to Edinburgh from Balmoral

As usual he was excellent and delighted the Royal Standard of Scotland was on the coffin

(this was when the BBC couldnt help themselves not to bring up the referendum)

Then over to Martin Geissler and asked about the Royal Standard he admitted he knew fuck all about Scottish Heraldry

of course you dont Martin  - House Jocks rarely want to know about Scotland

More embarrassing was the “constitutional expert” who was even more clueless. 

Edited by aaid

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Jeers heard at Edinburgh event

As crowds gathered in Edinburgh for the formal proclamation of the new King, a protester was heard booing and calling for a republic, before being moved away by the police.

Those in the crowd had mixed opinions on the disturbance.

“It’s very disrespectful,” said Donald Maclaren. “There is a time and a place if you want to protest, but this isn’t it.”

Another person, who did not want to be named, said: “It’s a public event. There is always going to be someone doing something.”

Huge crowds have gathered in Edinburgh for the proclamation and also to see the procession of the Queen's coffin later.

Idiots embarrassing Scotland on the international stage.  Some respect and decorum required - make your protest another time.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Idiots embarrassing Scotland on the international stage.  Some respect and decorum required - make your protest another time.

Rubbish. Not everyone agrees with a monarchy that is imposed on them. Scotland has the fewest percentage of royalists in the UK. Whats the point of making a protest another time, make it at the point of greatest impact. They only boo’d , its hardly a beheading offence  these days. Folk talk about the snowflake generation yet greet about a few folk booing an institution they dont agree with. 

22 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Rubbish. Not everyone agrees with a monarchy that is imposed on them. Scotland has the fewest percentage of royalists in the UK. Whats the point of making a protest another time, make it at the point of greatest impact. They only boo’d , its hardly a beheading offence  these days. Folk talk about the snowflake generation yet greet about a few folk booing an institution they dont agree with. 

I’m not a big believer in monarchy, but i am a believer in respect and dont think that’s appropriate. Each to their own.

was just saying to a friend that again this kind of behaviour will damage thr independence vote. I understand that the monarchy and independence are not entirely related 

35 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I’m not a big believer in monarchy, but i am a believer in respect and dont think that’s appropriate. Each to their own.

was just saying to a friend that again this kind of behaviour will damage thr independence vote. I understand that the monarchy and independence are not entirely related 

But they dont respect the monarchy, thats the point. They dont respect an unelected family receiving the money that they do , and want to express themselves.

I personally wouldn’t boo but I wouldn’t even boo the Tories , I am not much of a boo’er, but I absolutely respect the right for others to do so else we really are back in the days of tugging forelock. Its not like they are violently rampaging through towns and cities .

Anyone who is put off independence by a few folk booing Prince Charles would never seriously have considered it in the first place. What on earth is that to do with independence? Are there no folk in other parts of the UK that boo at times you feel are inappropriate? 

48 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

😄

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Anyone who is put off independence by a few folk booing Prince Charles would never seriously have considered it in the first place. What on earth is that to do with independence? Are there no folk in other parts of the UK that boo at times you feel are inappropriate? 

Spot on.

In any case I did not know you could tell what nationality a person is by their booing. This was Edinburgh so it could have been an Englishman for all we know. It could have been a Tory (unlikely I know) but lets not make a judgement that it was a Scotsman supporting independence a la the unionist media.

I’d be interested to see the data but I’d be amazed if support for and against the monarchy was a lot more spread across the political landscape than people might think.  There’s plenty of republicans who are against independence.  

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

I’d be interested to see the data but I’d be amazed if support for and against the monarchy was a lot more spread across the political landscape than people might think.  There’s plenty of republicans who are against independence.  

Our new Prime Minister for one.

16 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

But they dont respect the monarchy, thats the point. They dont respect an unelected family receiving the money that they do , and want to express themselves.

I personally wouldn’t boo but I wouldn’t even boo the Tories , I am not much of a boo’er, but I absolutely respect the right for others to do so else we really are back in the days of tugging forelock. Its not like they are violently rampaging through towns and cities .

The proclamation ceremonies earlier were about the new king, that’s very different from the previous queen dying.   I would condemn anyone who caused disruption at a minutes silence, a protest against a new monarch is a completely different thing.

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

The proclamation ceremonies earlier were about the new king, that’s very different from the previous queen dying.   I would condemn anyone who caused disruption at a minutes silence, a protest against a new monarch is a completely different thing.

Absolutely, and I probably should have made that clear for the avoidance of any doubt. 

Just now, TDYER63 said:

LibDem to Tory, Remain to Leave, anti monarchy to Royalist. She hasnt been corrupted by power at all. 

People’s views do change over time but no-one makes that sort of journey unless they’re a total grifter. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Every time someone does something or something happens in Scotland that is even faintly controversial or against the grain it's "a potential setback for independence". 😂

Personally, the city of Edinburgh has gone up in my estimation today. 👏

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on.

In any case I did not know you could tell what nationality a person is by their booing. This was Edinburgh so it could have been an Englishman for all we know. It could have been a Tory (unlikely I know) but lets not make a judgement that it was a Scotsman supporting independence a la the unionist media.

It could even have been Americans (there are always loads in Edinburgh) channeling the spirit of their founding fathers. 🙃

Anything vaguely anti-establishment and impolite gets attached to the independence movement. They tried it with that loonball chip shop owner from up north who was celebrating Lizzie's demise, without a shred of evidence to suggest she's pro-independence.

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Every time someone does something or something happens in Scotland that is even faintly controversial or against the grain it's "a potential setback for independence". 😂

Personally, the city of Edinburgh has gone up in my estimation today. 👏

It could even have been Americans (there are always loads in Edinburgh) channeling the spirit of their founding fathers. 🙃

Anything vaguely anti-establishment and impolite gets attached to the independence movement. They tried it with that loonball chip shop owner from up north who was celebrating Lizzie's demise, without a shred of evidence to suggest she's pro-independence.

My money is on Australian or maybe even French? Do the French have a word for "Booooooooo"?