Play Off Picture - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

At least they're not going to Hampden looking for a clean sheet campaign. Still going for maximum points though.

It was more "good to see they can let a goal in" rather than "good to see they let a goal in"

Lets be honest watching Denmark come to Hampden and defend would be great.

It's the can's that give us hope

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Good to see Denmark can let a goal in.

16 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

At least they're not going to Hampden looking for a clean sheet campaign. Still going for maximum points though.

They are not invincible and we should be going into this game looking to win it. I’d be happy with a point to be fair but if we try to play for a draw we’ll likely lose. We may well lose anyway but we might as well go for it. 

Denmark are a very good team but they are not France or Belgium and we shouldn’t be scared of them. 

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think we have to play our strongest possible team, the unseeded teams look far weaker than the seeded ones for the playoffs.

Should only really think about taking players of if we are 2-0 down.

A 2-0 lead in the 92nd minute and I still wouldn't be taking players off.

I agree with your logic.   I was about to write that I liked it, but that would have been wrong.

Can't believe how comfortable I've felt tonight (since the penalty save), but coming on here and reading about our hopes/chances, I'm all uptight again 🤢

3 hours ago, todd said:

You conceding that we'll get nothing from Denmark then? That's the spirit, more fans like you, that's what we need!

Did you stay up to see if Poland dropped points vs Andorra ?

What we do on Monday decides our fate - not tonight’s games. Ya fanny.

2 hours ago, saintsparky said:

Is there a scenario when we could be guaranteed a seeding before we play Denmark???

If Norway lost 10-0 at home to Latvia that would help. Wales /Czechs are the other danger.

Edited by tjm007

So, a draw in my estimation keeps us seeded.

Czech Rep are very likely to beat Estonia, and might put some goals past them - if anyone is the most danger for us, its them. 

I also foresee Spain beating Sweden, losing by 3 goals would do it.  

I see Holland beating Norway that keeps Norway beneath us.

Just looking at how things stand now in the runners-up stakes  possible scenarios for Scotland to be seeded is:-

Tomorrow night Spain (Home) beat Sweden 2-0 and a score draw for us against Denmark would (I believe) nearly assure us a seeding.

Also hope that Norway pick up no more than 4 points at home to Latvia and away to Netherlands. Which is possible.

Croatia losing their last game at home to table toppers Russia would also help and would also mean a draw for us on Monday would see us edge above Croatia.

Another help for us would be the Czechs failing to beat Estonia at home or (more of a chance) only beating them by the odd goal as any bigger a win would mean we'd need at least a draw V Denmark to guarantee finishing above them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would say if we lose we are virtually certain to not be seeded. A draw would keep us in with a good shout but a win would guarantee us a seeding.

Serbia are already guaranteed to be seeded and I would be stunned if Switzerland missed out on a seeding now as they only need to draw their last game at home to Bulgaria. 

41 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No they carry forward into the play-offs which I find ridiculous but there you go.

Heard them moaning about that on Sportsound last night, and rightly so. Suspended for a game if you pick up 2 yellows in essentially a 12 game campaign is ridiculous. Another UEFA run competition allows 3 yellows in 6 games before suspension...

I think I'm correct in saying at least 4 of the 6 unseeded groups are already in place. The 2 teams from the Nations League and Group J and D cant get to Scotlands 14 points. Group F (Wales) and Group G (Norway) might get to 14 points but Scotland has a better goal difference.

6 minutes ago, bernie said:

I think I'm correct in saying at least 4 of the 6 unseeded groups are already in place. The 2 teams from the Nations League and Group J and D cant get to Scotlands 14 points. Group F (Wales) and Group G (Norway) might get to 14 points but Scotland has a better goal difference.

Yes that is correct. In all honesty now I'd say realistically there are six teams left squabbling over three seeded spots. They are us, Poland, Sweden, Croatia, Norway and the Czechs.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Something I've just thought regards bookings is that the teams that have been in a 6 team group are at a disadvantage to 5 team group as they have 2 extra games in which to pick up a booking. This obviously is not fair and I would hope that as the games v the bottom teams do not count for points then the shouldn't count for bookings. More hope than anything but it seems logical in my mind anyway

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Could argue that as we had to play two games more than some teams our bookings against the weakest team shouldn't count. 

That would have been the fair way to do it but since when have UEFA been about fairness in such matters? However, even if that system had been in place then only one yellow card would have been scrubbed out - Patterson's last night.

Although a draw against Denmark is possible and a seeded draw would be ideal, I wouldnt play our key players who are on a yellow on Monday night.

I wouldnt play Robertson, McGinn or Gilmour.

Tierney can fill in at LB, meaning McKenna would prob come in at CB.

McTom can swap in for Gilmour and any number of players could play the McGinn role.

Yes it lessens our chances on Monday but we need a full strength tea for the play offs regardless of who or where we are playing.