Play Off Picture - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

On 10/17/2021 at 6:17 PM, todd said:

Weird to think we could beat Moldova 6-0, make the play offs and not be seeded but could also lose 6-0, still make the play offs and end up seeded!

Aye the Moldova game is largely irrelevant at the moment when it comes to playoffs seeding although that might change if they beat us 6-0!

I think we have pretty much destroyed our chances of being seeded anyway by failing to beat the Faroes more convincingly but if we beat Moldova we can have a right go at Denmark and you just never know what can happen.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye the Moldova game is largely irrelevant at the moment when it comes to playoffs seeding although that might change if they beat us 6-0!

I think we have pretty much destroyed our chances of being seeded anyway by failing to beat the Faroes more convincingly but if we beat Moldova we can have a right go at Denmark and you just never know what can happen.  

Yeah, even a point from Denmark should give us a playoff, assuming Israel haven't caught us!

1 minute ago, todd said:

Yeah, even a point from Denmark should give us a playoff, assuming Israel haven't caught us!

I’m hoping we’ll have secured the playoffs before Denmark set foot in Glasgow.

If we fail to beat Moldova we don’t deserve a playoff. 

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m hoping we’ll have secured the playoffs before Denmark set foot in Glasgow.

If we fail to beat Moldova we don’t deserve a playoff. 

Unless we don't beat Moldova but then beat Denmark, in which case I'd say we do deserve to qualify in spite of our failure to beat Moldova! 🤔

19 minutes ago, todd said:

Unless we don't beat Moldova but then beat Denmark, in which case I'd say we do deserve to qualify in spite of our failure to beat Moldova! 🤔

I guess so but if we don’t beat Moldova our confidence will be so low there would probably be more chance of me getting into  Steve Clarke’s next squad than of us beating Denmark. 

We could actually lose both of our next games and still get a playoff if Austria beat Israel so I suppose we would deserve it if we finish second but we really should be looking to obliterate Moldova next month. 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Chances are we don't even need to beat Moldova to qualify, a draw would do the job as long as Israel don't beat Austria. 

I think we play Moldova a couple of hours before Israel take on Austria. I really don’t want to have to watch that game through my fingers if we draw with Moldova. 

Let’s just hope we beat Moldova for a nice stress free Friday night. 

37 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I think we play Moldova a couple of hours before Israel take on Austria. I really don’t want to have to watch that game through my fingers if we draw with Moldova. 

Let’s just hope we beat Moldova for a nice stress free Friday night. 

Wouldn't that be great, 3-0 up at half time and cruising.  Having said that, even at 3-0 I probably wouldn't really relax until the last 10 minutes!

im really confident we'll get the win in Moldova however dont think it will be convincing, 1-0 or 2-0 

Would be great to be 3-0 up at half time to rest a few before Danes 

Hopefully we can get a point against the Danes and get seeded and go into playoffs 6 games unbeaten 

30 minutes ago, borojock said:

im really confident we'll get the win in Moldova however dont think it will be convincing, 1-0 or 2-0 

Would be great to be 3-0 up at half time to rest a few before Danes 

Hopefully we can get a point against the Danes and get seeded and go into playoffs 6 games unbeaten 

It would be great for confidence if we could get a draw v denmark. 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It would be great for confidence if we could get a draw v denmark. 

I'd take a loss with a good performance. Although 2-0 doesn't look too bad in retrospect, our first half display was atrocious. I'd not be too disheartened by an identical scoreline, as long as we go toe to toe with them. 

Saying all that, I think we could sneak a draw or a win. You never know in a one off game.

All I care about right now is beating Moldova. I only have eyes for them. Beat them and this will have been a respectable campaign irrespective of what happens after that.

Many squeaky bum moments but at the end of the day so far we have played 8, won 5, drawn 2 with only 1 defeat against a side who have not even conceded a goal yet never mind a point. That is pretty good, especially for us.

As a result it is genuinely all in our own hands and 'all' we have to do is beat Moldova. After that let the dice fall where they may with Denmark and beyond. They will of course be UEFA/FIFA special loaded/seeded 'dice' but If we beat Moldova and thus after wining 6 out of 9 with only one loss I really dont think we could have asked for anymore from a campaign.

Beat Moldova because this type of game against a so called lesser ranked side is where we typically fuck it up. So I just want to see us buck that trend and actually go out there and win the game. After that I am happy to take our chances, we will get shafted no matter anyway on the 'seedings' somehow... they will find a way! 😀

Just beat Moldova. If we can do that then I might be able to start thinking about permuations and chances.

Edited by thplinth

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Anyone on here still think team will finish 3rd?

That would be the ultimate Scotland snatching defeat from jaws moment.

Lol it's a possibility but I cant see it happening and I am usually quite pessimistic. Israel would have to beat Austria, which could happen but I think we will beat moldova anyways,they are a really poor team and we should of pumped them in the first match. 

41 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Can somebody clarify: if we make the play-off but don't get through - does it help with our ranking points?

It would help in our bid to climb up into Pot 2 in the seeding system but nowhere near enough to move us from Pot 3 (where we are) into Pot 2. We'd be about three or four places short.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Of course we can. I would say it's probably the most likely outcome.

Us losing to Moldova and Israel beating Austria, in Austria, is the most likely outcome? Definitely possible but hardly the most likely! 

7 minutes ago, todd said:

Us losing to Moldova and Israel beating Austria, in Austria, is the most likely outcome? Definitely possible but hardly the most likely! 

A draw in Moldova also puts us in a lot of trouble. If we draw or lose to Moldova I'm fairly confident Israel will win in Austria. I'm sure Israel would be very confident too, and Austria have nothing to play for (although that can sometimes help, right enough).

I think Israel would finish on 19 points if we drop points in Moldova. That would mean we need at least a point off Denmark. But even that one point might not be enough as it would go to GD. Israel have Faroes at home in the last game. I wouldn't want to be going into that last game needing a win against Denmark. I might have got my numbers wrong but I don't think so?

Hopefully we can just go out and beat Moldova and I can stop counting. 😂 But I'm not supremely confident that we will do that. Are you?

46 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

A draw in Moldova also puts us in a lot of trouble. If we draw or lose to Moldova I'm fairly confident Israel will win in Austria. I'm sure Israel would be very confident too, and Austria have nothing to play for (although that can sometimes help, right enough).

I think Israel would finish on 19 points if we drop points in Moldova. That would mean we need at least a point off Denmark. But even that one point might not be enough as it would go to GD. Israel have Faroes at home in the last game. I wouldn't want to be going into that last game needing a win against Denmark. I might have got my numbers wrong but I don't think so?

Hopefully we can just go out and beat Moldova and I can stop counting. 😂 But I'm not supremely confident that we will do that. Are you?

Can't say as I am, ever have been or ever will be supremely confident regarding Scotland 😄 but surely one day we'll make things slightly easier for ourselves,  hopefully starting on Friday 🤞

11 minutes ago, todd said:

Can't say as I am, ever have been or ever will be supremely confident regarding Scotland 😄 but surely one day we'll make things slightly easier for ourselves,  hopefully starting on Friday 🤞

Hope so. You'd think it would have to happen sometime. 😂

We qualified for 74 and 82 with a game to spare, so it can be done. 

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

it wouldn’t surprise me. A nervy draw with Moldova is entirely possible and i don’t fancy our chances against Denmark even though they have qualified as I imagine they will want to exit with 100% record.

Draw is fine in Moldova as long as Israel don't win. It's simply all about matching their result on Saturday, indeed could even lose and claim 2nd although that wouldn't be great for confidence and would end any faint seeding hopes.

Just need to continue momentum really, 4 straight wins so must be best qualifying run since the euro 2008 group?

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Of course we can. I would say it's probably the most likely outcome.

Really? I'm not convinced Israel will win in Vienna personally as they concede too many goals away from home as we saw at Hampden (think they conceded 5 in Denmark aswell) so even lacklustre Austria will score a couple I think.

I think you'd get pretty good odds on Scotland finishing 3rd now from the bookies given opposition and Israel being 4 points off.