Scotland v Austria - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Austria

PASTA Mick

24 minutes ago, daviebee said:

So blatant even that fkin tit could see it. Didnae see much protesting from them.

Must admit, I thought it looked like a perfectly good goal at the time and having seen the replay about half a dozen times I'm still not convinced it wasn't. 

However, the fact that none of the Austrian players complained about the decision says a lot.

How we didn't get a penalty is baffling.

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Respect? Yes. But lets not overhype a player with two caps and one season of success in the Bundesliga for a mid-table club. 

This deja vu all over again. Much like people on here who were painting Serbia's players up because they played in a lot of Europe's big leagues - well its us going to the Euros. Just proves the point that matches are won on the pitch not on stats or paper.

So you were saying...? :whistling: 😉

The pleasing thing for me is we seem to have a growing wider pool of players who have shown they can come in and do a job for us. Players like Hendry and maybe even Hanley have been dropped into the side in a crunch match and stood up to the test to increase our pool of central defenders and perhaps helps keep McTominay in midfield. The team spirit is now excellent and we are still getting results in matches we would have lost despite not being at our best.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

This is exactly the type of game we almost certainly would have lost at any point in the past decade. The ref made it as hard for us as he could. 

Another mostly good performance and a decent result. Usually we have to choose one or the other (or neither). When was the last time we scored 2 goals?

maybe so but if we want to win this group then we need to be winning at home to austria. austria away is a must win game now and i struggle to see us beating denmark tbh. denmark have quality in every position and are very good side these days.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

maybe so but if we want to win this group then we need to be winning at home to austria. austria away is a must win game now and i struggle to see us beating denmark tbh. denmark have quality in every position and are very good side these days.

To be honest I think the best we could aim for here was second spot in this group anyway. But we shall see.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

True, but it's still an upwards trajectory aimed directly at the Euros. I know I should be thinking about WC qualifier permutations as well, but I'm mainly just seeing that we could hit a bit of a crescendo going into the tournament. If we can increase our goals output in the next 2 games, I'll be delighted going into the Euros.

Tons of positives tonight. McTominay and Hendry are exactly where they should be.

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Early days yet, Denmark and Austria will hopefully take points off each other. 

We just need to do our bit and win the next 2 games. 

even if they do we will still have to beat austria away and beat israel twice. infact maybe denmark beating austria twice and dominating the group would help us get second place which being honest is probably a more realistic target for us. sounds pessimistic but denmark are considerably better than us and its a big ask for us to win this group.

49 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

O.k point. Think the Austria final ball was simply the difference here. Towards end of match they hit a really good low cross in that Marshall had to palm away while so often O'Donnell would get in similar position and just hit a defender.

Hopefully they don't have someone like Arnautovic back for away game as feel he's the sort to make the difference in final third.

Big game Sunday for sure. Need to turn up for once over there. Would start Adams (which I imagine is the plan giving him last 15 minutes) and perhaps Fraser.

O'Donnell's a trier but he will be phased out for Nathan Patterson surely

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

even if they do we will still have to beat austria away and beat israel twice. infact maybe denmark beating austria twice and dominating the group would help us get second place which being honest is probably a more realistic target for us. sounds pessimistic but denmark are considerably better than us and its a big ask for us to win this group.

Israel are shite though

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

I think anyone expecting us to win the group has unrealistic expectations and they are probably in the minority on here if at all.

But Denmark aren’t an elite side and are capable of dropping points as well. 

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I think anyone expecting us to win the group has unrealistic expectations and they are probably in the minority on here if at all.

But Denmark aren’t an elite side and are capable of dropping points as well. 

Of course they are. Let’s not start wetting the bed about Denmark. They’d love to have McTominay, McGinn, Gilmour and Tierney, to name a few.

Edited by er yir macaroon

29 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't know who it was, but some one suggested Hendry at right wing back I think that would work.

Any one slating Christie didn't watch the game.

Yeah. It was me. I think he has the skillset for it, and physicality.

Agreed. I used to dislike Christie, but I really like him now... even though I didn't include him in my first XI....

Good point. 

Marshall at fault for the first but he’s saved us plenty times so we won’t hold it against him. 

Makes the next two games nailed on 6 pointer or we will struggle to make the play offs.

Great to see us looking dangerous and showing fight and pride.

Changed days. 

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah. It was me. I think he has the skillset for it, and physicality.

Agreed. I used to dislike Christie, but I really like him now... even though I didn't include him in my first XI....

I’m pretty sure you were saying Hendry had the skillset for your famous double pivot position.. 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

Of course they are. Let’s not start wetting the bed about Denmark. They’d love to have McTominay, McGinn, Gilmour and Tierney to name a few.

yeh you can pull out a few players from our squad they would like to have but overall their squad is alot better than ours. most of their starting eleven play for elite european clubs. i am willing to bet the only games denmark dont win is away to us and away to austria and even then thats being generous on us and austria.