Scotland v Austria - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Austria

PASTA Mick

Personally thought Austria struggled when we actually started to get on front foot and take game to them, would of liked fraser or Adams to start up top, I like dykes however seemed it was  the usual lob ball up to him for a flick on that just wasn't meeting anyone. I think that's OK for an away game where we don't have much chance but felt we could of got at Austria more than we did. With a bit of pace against Israel I feel we have a chance. 

26 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Absolutely. He’s not glamorous or flashy but did his job so bit disappointing to see comments immediately after the game suggesting replacements for him. 

I think he massively benefits from the fact Robertson and Tierney are on the other side. Most teams will double up on them, giving O'Donnell far more space. Which he is eagerly exploiting.

I'd still like to try out one of Tierney, Robertson, Armstrong or O.Burke at RWB to see if they can manage, but I'm more than happy with O'Donnell. It's criminal that no "bigger" teams have snapped him up yet. Well they will after the Euros.

Additional point: We are always so obsessed with the teams our players play for. But part of the reason they aren't all at more prestigious clubs is because they haven't been showcased at a tournament before. After every tournament, any player that performed well gets snapped up. I think a few of our guys will put themselves in the premium shop window this summer.

Edited by Tartan blood

Just wish we would start games on the front foot.As said above,when we took the game to Austria they didn't look comfortable at all.We have got to come out against Israel,and take the game to them.Their confidence must be low after the Denmark game.Please don't sit back and give them the control of the game,and the chance to find their confidence.Some plus marks from tonight.Tonight showed us that McTominay must be in midfield,McGinn must play further forward and Tierney must play at left back.Also,considering his lack of form at Celtic,I thought Christie had a really good game.His determination to win the ball back was excellent,and he caused Austria a lot of problems.No reason we can't win in Israel,if the team are set up in the right formation.Be positive,and go out to WIN.

Denmark are top seeds and favourites so are likely to win more games but not guaranteed. It's still a much better group than we could have got so with growing confidence and a few other attacking options we are definitely in with a decent shout. Just need to get the better of Israel and no slip ups against the minnows. 

I'm glad we didn't lose, I refused to entertain that thought. As some have already said, when we were more positive we did cause problems. The fact we have Robbo and Tierney ppl laying together and well is a potent weapon. I feeling very positive and feel we have the fight to compete in this group. 

Mashall - At fault for the first goal, but has money in the bank and look very solid otherwise.

O'Donnell - An enigma (Jim Bett was better though). Looks out of place in international football just from a look and feel perspective. Conversely, continues to be effective in creating chances and positioning is generally good.

Hendry - Clearly a ball playing defender, which is what Clarke's looking for (right footed too)

Hanley - Was worried with his fouls at the start, but he reigned it in really well and got a really good goal

Tierney - Just a very good player. If he sang the anthem he'd be the complete player.

Robertson - Not sure why we didn't attack more down the left as we were clearly stronger there. Came in for a lot of criticism on the radio but I thought he did okay.

McTominey - Everything he did was good (apart from the last minute freekick). He didn't seem to do much though. We need him on the ball more.

McGinn - I thought we could have used him more on attacks down the left. Generally high quality though and the goal was magnificent. Best used in attacking midfield.

Armstong - Threatened to be our most dangerous player. Ultimately though, he was rather wasteful when he got in good positions. Plays better for Southampton

Christie - I thought he was lucky not to get sent off in the first half when he went up for that ball at the edge of the box. Outside of indiscipline, I thought he was very good. Could have maybe scored in the first half, but he was a good presence in attack.

Dykes - Worst game for Scotland? To me, he looked lethargic at times and on a different wavelength to the others.

7 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Can't remember who it was here that made such a hoopla about me not knowing the dominant foot of our players.

McCoist doesnt know that McGinn is left footed: "I think he goes with it with his wrong foot!"

He didn't. McGinn hit it with his left.

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Did McCoist also say that I'm boring but changed his mind when he realised i was right footed?

You’ve taken McCoist’s comment completely out of context. He meant his ‘wrong foot’ as the angle McGinn was at it was better suited to use his right foot. 

Edited by McTeeko

Our penalty claim, absolute stonewaller, it was more akin to something you used to see around 4pm on world of sport.

Must admit, if the goal they had chalked off was for us I'd have been raging, can't see much wrong with it at all. 

I think the downside of a back 3 was exposed last night, especially for the second goal. A lack of bodies to cut out the cross and indecision in the box by two men leaving an attacker with too much wiggle room. Too little pressure on the ball for the shot at the first goal too, with too many players in the box. I also thought we were a bit overrun in midfield, especially in the first half, because our wing backs were too static and reluctant to play with freedom. Things were better when we had to go for it. I’m not saying I would necessarily change things but there are big limitations if the players go into their shell and don’t compete further up the pitch. 

5 hours ago, Wee Dave said:

The other element on Sunday will be the fans - Israel will have 5,000 in the stadium, will be less neutral than all the other games. 

I think that helps opposing players as well. Especially if the fans get on the home teams back. 

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Cos we are too?

Nah.

They are just our type of nemesis. A well-organised team who work to a well-drilled plan and who are tough to break down - not a good match-up for us.

We are not the sort of team to cut other defences up at will. We prefer sitting back and hitting on the counter but Israel do not allow that because of the way they play. They pack their defence which always makes it difficult to score and even more so for us.

I do not buy into the earlier poster who said they'll be on a downer after their Denmark defeat. Tosh. They are immune to defeats as it is something they are used to. We saw that by how they bounced back from defeats in matches against us in the past.

I am very nervous about Sunday - more so than last night and not looking forward so much to it as matches against them are painfully dire to watch. Still lets hope we can carve out a win.

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

Our penalty claim, absolute stonewaller, it was more akin to something you used to see around 4pm on world of sport.

Must admit, if the goal they had chalked off was for us I'd have been raging, can't see much wrong with it at all. 

yeah - ours a def penalty and would love the referee to talk through his thinking as he watched face on what was happening. There was no foul in their goal but I suppose if we had been given the penalty, the run of play would have been altered and unlikely their chance would have been created (think it came very soon afterwards). 

That's what I am telling myself anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

yeah - ours a def penalty and would love the referee to talk through his thinking as he watched face on what was happening. There was no foul in their goal but I suppose if we had been given the penalty, the run of play would have been altered and unlikely their chance would have been created (think it came very soon afterwards). 

That's what I am telling myself anyway. 

The cynic in me says the referee knew he'd bottled out of that penalty decision and that it was a pen so levelled it up with that free-kick call for their disallowed goal.

7 hours ago, Wee Dave said:

The other element on Sunday will be the fans - Israel will have 5,000 in the stadium, will be less neutral than all the other games. 

We've lost two games in Israel and we should have won both

We've just let ourselves down against them

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The cynic in me says the referee knew he'd bottled out of that penalty decision and that it was a pen so levelled it up with that free-kick call for their disallowed goal.

It was a pen and it was a free kick

But he probably did try to even out

3 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Mashall - At fault for the first goal, but has money in the bank and look very solid otherwise.

O'Donnell - An enigma (Jim Bett was better though). Looks out of place in international football just from a look and feel perspective. Conversely, continues to be effective in creating chances and positioning is generally good.

Hendry - Clearly a ball playing defender, which is what Clarke's looking for (right footed too)

Hanley - Was worried with his fouls at the start, but he reigned it in really well and got a really good goal

Tierney - Just a very good player. If he sang the anthem he'd be the complete player.

Robertson - Not sure why we didn't attack more down the left as we were clearly stronger there. Came in for a lot of criticism on the radio but I thought he did okay.

McTominey - Everything he did was good (apart from the last minute freekick). He didn't seem to do much though. We need him on the ball more.

McGinn - I thought we could have used him more on attacks down the left. Generally high quality though and the goal was magnificent. Best used in attacking midfield.

Armstong - Threatened to be our most dangerous player. Ultimately though, he was rather wasteful when he got in good positions. Plays better for Southampton

Christie - I thought he was lucky not to get sent off in the first half when he went up for that ball at the edge of the box. Outside of indiscipline, I thought he was very good. Could have maybe scored in the first half, but he was a good presence in attack.

Dykes - Worst game for Scotland? To me, he looked lethargic at times and on a different wavelength to the others.

I agree with almost all of that. A bit harsh on O'Donnell, as I think he actually looks pretty comfortable at this level, and doesn't really make more mistakes than the rest of our players.

Dykes and Adams were very ineffectual. I think this system didn't suit either of them today. It'll work against better teams on the counter, but up front is a puzzle we desperately need to crack. We are screaming out for a natural finisher. I'd like to see Adams get a full 90 against Israel and see if he is that guy.

If Armstrong's shooting had been better, I think we'd have been singing his praises. I'd happily give him another go in that position, but I reckon McGinn's overhead will put that notion to bed.

McGregor - A couple of bad passes and did his usual standing alone looking over his shoulder marking no one or closing anyone down. I'm not saying he was at fault for their 2nd goal, but I do wonder if Jack would have allowed that cross to be made.

Loads of positives. Hendry and McTominay have made those positions theirs to lose. 

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I agree with almost all of that. A bit harsh on O'Donnell, as I think he actually looks pretty comfortable at this level, and doesn't really make more mistakes than the rest of our players.

Dykes and Adams were very ineffectual. I think this system didn't suit either of them today. It'll work against better teams on the counter, but up front is a puzzle we desperately need to crack. We are screaming out for a natural finisher. I'd like to see Adams get a full 90 against Israel and see if he is that guy.

If Armstrong's shooting had been better, I think we'd have been singing his praises. I'd happily give him another go in that position, but I reckon McGinn's overhead will put that notion to bed.

McGregor - A couple of bad passes and did his usual standing alone looking over his shoulder marking no one or closing anyone down. I'm not saying he was at fault for their 2nd goal, but I do wonder if Jack would have allowed that cross to be made.

Loads of positives. Hendry and McTominay have made those positions theirs to lose. 

For both goals there wasn’t enough pressure on the ball outside the box. It’s shades of Ally McLeod and “go on son, hit it” v Holland. We need to be all over players like a rash 30 yards from goal.