Your first XI and formation for Serbia - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your first XI and formation for Serbia

Taylor1996

Surely everyone can't be convinced with a three at the back. So, feel free to set out your team your way, not the system Steve Clarke has it.

I'll stick to, pretty much, the same system that I've stuck with for ever:

Marshall

Cooper - McKenna - Tierney

O'Donnell                          Robertson

McTominay - Jack

McGinn

Dykes - Christie

Keeper: Marshall as he's never let Scotland down.

Back three: Three left footers? Who cares. Three of them are basically playing in the middle. I have Jack playing on the left of a double-pivot and he's... *gasp*... Right footed! Oh. The madness! 

Double-Pivot: Haven't watched Jack in club football, but he's growing as a Scotland player. I'd choose McTominay as his physicality will be vital in there. Besides, we don't have a second anchorman in the squad (McTominay is not an anchorman, or a center back. He's a box-to-box midfielder.)

Attacking midfield: I'd give McGinn license to roam and bomb forward, but also to stay disciplined and get into shape when we are out of position.

Strikers: Like McGinn, i'd give Christie license to Roam and swap positions with McGinn, at will. Dykes, battering ram.

17 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Do you not sleep or do you wake up about 5am to begin concocting your nonsense 

TA/OP specific?

If you don't like it, create your own posting board and leave the majority in peace.

Or, the ignore button.

Take the first option, though. No one would miss you mob. You lot try to ruin this place, and fail, quite spectacularly.

Edited by Taylor1996

I'd go with                        

Marshall

McTominay- Gallagher - McKenna

McGregor - McGinn

Armstrong

Dykes - Christie

I think he'll shoehorn in Tierney at left CB though (to calamitous effect). 

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'd go with                        

Marshall

McGregor - McGinn

Armstrong

Dykes - Christie

Agree with most but even you have to admit Jack in top form and at the peak of his game especially in Europe and will be critical tomorrow..  I would play him.

9 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

but even you

Swe, it's sly wee pieces of bullshit like this that make you come across as such an utter penis. Maybe you don't even know you're doing it. 

Anyway, I've no interest in engaging with you. 

25 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'd go with                        

Marshall

McGregor - McGinn

Armstrong

Dykes - Christie

Interesting team. Armstrong would definitely add a zip.

I think you could be spot-on with McTominay at the back, though.

Marshall    
  Tierney    Mctominay Gallagher cooper  robertson

Jack     Mcgregor

armstrong               Mcginn

Dykes

Marshall

Cooper    Gallagher    Considine(I know!)

Palmer                                                                   Robbo
Jack
Armstrong                     McGinn

Christie

Dykes

Tough one this. Thought about McTomminay and Jack in fron to the back 3 but doesn't leave much of an attacking threat. If I was to put him in a back 3 then he could replace any of my other choices, not much between them.

Griffiths will come off the bench no doubt. Wouldn't have MacGregor anywhere near starting. Tierney and Robbo don't work for me. Let Christie shoot from anywhere he wants and let Robbo get forward to provide for Dykes with Jack covering.

I'm scared...

4 minutes ago, RightPeg said:

Marshall

Cooper    Gallagher    Considine(I know!)

Palmer                                                                   Robbo
Jack
Armstrong                     McGinn

Christie

Dykes

Tough one this. Thought about McTomminay and Jack in fron to the back 3 but doesn't leave much of an attacking threat. If I was to put him in a back 3 then he could replace any of my other choices, not much between them.

Griffiths will come off the bench no doubt. Wouldn't have MacGregor anywhere near starting. Tierney and Robbo don't work for me. Let Christie shoot from anywhere he wants and let Robbo get forward to provide for Dykes with Jack covering.

I'm scared...

No McTominay at all? Wow. Bold decision.

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. :)

Edited by Taylor1996

14 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

No McTominay at all? Wow. Bold decision.

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. :)

I know. He'll defo get in Clarke's team. Only place in my team for him would be for Jack, which I'd be happy with. Would rather have defenders in the back 3.

I would go for 

Marshall

Mctominay  Gallagher  Cooper 

Palmer                                     Robbo

Jack 

Armstrong             McGinn 

Christie 

Dykes 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

124554765_853109882163773_6498711871823186009_n.png?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=Fde65eDMQacAX8e2f8C&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=400ce58c6692dd77928c6dde91c51cbb&oe=5FD1E09D

That does look good, all our best available players on the pitch. Armstrong is obviously a better player than O’Donnell and Palmer but how well suited to RWB is he?

For the nations league games at some point I’d like to see McTominay moved into midfield (probably in place of McGregor) so we can get the best out of him, we can try the other CB options (Gallagher, McKenna) to see how they work with Cooper/Tierney.

I actually don't know enough about Serbia to know whether we should go go with a 3 or a 4 at the back but you have to suspect that it'll be a 3. 

How do the Serbians attack? Through the middle or with width? One thing I would say is that I wouldn't have Christie and Armstrong in the same line up, they are basically the same player. Whilst their direct running is a great asset in attack they both give the ball away too often. Starting both in this game is a luxury we can't afford. 

2 hours ago, RightPeg said:

I know. He'll defo get in Clarke's team. Only place in my team for him would be for Jack, which I'd be happy with. Would rather have defenders in the back 3.

McTominay might never have played wing back but if he did he would be on a different planet to Palmer and O'Donnell. Fair point about having experienced defenders though. 

15 minutes ago, slasher said:

I actually don't know enough about Serbia to know whether we should go go with a 3 or a 4 at the back but you have to suspect that it'll be a 3. 

How do the Serbians attack? Through the middle or with width? One thing I would say is that I wouldn't have Christie and Armstrong in the same line up, they are basically the same player. Whilst their direct running is a great asset in attack they both give the ball away too often. Starting both in this game is a luxury we can't afford. 

You can add mcginn as a player who gives the ball away too often despite their limitation at least Jack and McGregor can complete passes 

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Marshall

Cooper - McKenna - Tierney

McTominay - Jack

McGinn

Dykes - Christie

I like that team. I would prefer mctominey in midfield aswell but cant see it. Im torn between christie and armstrong aswell.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You can add mcginn as a player who gives the ball away too often despite their limitation at least Jack and McGregor can complete passes 

Yip, I would agree on that., the team needs balance. McGregor tho isn't in very good form at the moment. I guess Clarke will just have to trust him tomorrow or alternatively move McTominay and make a change at the back. 

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

I'd go with                        

Marshall

McGregor - McGinn

Armstrong

Dykes - Christie

That's my team too but jack for McGregor. Jack is better defensively and also higher in confidence at moment.tierney I feel is too wee for cb as mitrovic will pull onto him. 

9 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

That's my team too but jack for McGregor. Jack is better defensively and also higher in confidence at moment.tierney I feel is too wee for cb as mitrovic will pull onto him. 

That’s my worry with playing tierney at centre half.  Unless we have Gallagher man mark him....