Under 21 squad - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21 squad

TA Torr

Worth noting the number of absentees from the u21 squad... Porteous, George Johnstone, Hickey, Gilmour, Mickey Johnstone.... all players that would probably start if you were to field our strongest XI at that age group.

Its encouraging how defensively solid we’ve been. But we are thin up top. 

On 10/9/2020 at 10:31 AM, gonzohiggy said:

Mcrorie is a class act, best in midfield in my view but far far better than O'Donnell at right back.

I thought the problem last night offensively was more the personnel than the formation. Other than occasionally mcginn driving forward, we had no creativity or penetration and two strikers who won't create goals on their own. I'd sacrifice one striker, move mcginn up one and have Christie or Armstrong running from deeper.

The positive for me last night, aside from the obvious point of winning the game, was we didn't look like conceding at all.

It's a bit harsh on the two forwards who both played well, worked their arse off, held up and knocked the ball on well from the long balls to them. Problem was we didnt have anyone from midfield running on to help them which also stems to the 3 at the back shite and losing a midfielder to that. 

14 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Just need to make sure they do the job against San Marino this week.

November could be one hell of a week for Scottish football. Can you imagine we qualify for Euro 2020, win promotion in the Nations League and the u21s qualify too?! 

One point behind the leaders, said game V group whipping boys ( already conceded 40 goals in the campaign ) Destiny in our own hands and a home game against the top seeds in the group after beating them away.

What could possible go wrong? 😃😃

2 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

One point behind the leaders, said game V group whipping boys ( already conceded 40 goals in the campaign ) Destiny in our own hands and a home game against the top seeds in the group after beating them away.

What could possible go wrong? 😃😃

Greece and Croatia are playing each other on Tuesday.  A draw would be nice.  If Lithuania can take something off the Czechs that would be grand too.

Just now, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Great result. Well done this lads. Alba GU Breath🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Alba Gu Brath.. Sorry, new keyboard on my phone...

I'll take a 1-0 win over San Marino now and a few draws between the other two games.

It would be fantastic if we could qualify. After a poor start we've really come on to some form but it's been a fairly open group and Lithuania have taken points off folk (1 shared with us and 3 against the Greeks)

There aren't many goals in our games.

Only Spain have conceded less goals than we have.

However, only 14 teams have scored less than we have and some of those have played less matches than we have.

Also worth remembering that we were the 4th seed in this group.  Croatia were 1st, Czech Rep 2nd and Greece 3rd. 

35 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

There aren't many goals in our games.

Only Spain have conceded less goals than we have.

However, only 14 teams have scored less than we have and some of those have played less matches than we have.

Also worth remembering that we were the 4th seed in this group.  Croatia were 1st, Czech Rep 2nd and Greece 3rd. 

There aren't, but, as you say, we don't concede many, which may be indicative that we're first and foremost set up not to concede. Given our major defensive issues with the first team in the past, hopefully it's indicative that we've got a good batch of young defenders coming through.

Of course that impacts our goalscoring, as we're less open - even then Hornby is now only one goal away from levelling the U21 all time record of eight - however if it's getting us results, then you can't complain too much as long as there are some more attacking coming through for us in the near future.

8 hours ago, Kirk said:

It's a bit harsh on the two forwards who both played well, worked their arse off, held up and knocked the ball on well from the long balls to them. Problem was we didnt have anyone from midfield running on to help them which also stems to the 3 at the back shite and losing a midfielder to that. 

Was a statement of fact that they aren't the type of players to create out of nothing (which was required the other night in that formation). I wasn't criticising their performance at all.

As a Killie fan I am probably biased / more aware of Clarke's style and beliefs.

As many have said, his priority is to be difficult to beat and when a team have that solid base to move forward from then there is something to build on.

What he did with killie and he will be striving to do with Scotland also, is be a threat in attack as well as being sound defensively. He / the team haven't got that right yet but for the first time in midweek I could see some light.

Yes the game was a hard watch but I thought we looked very comfortable at the back. We just need to get more penetration from midfield to provide ammo to our striker(s) as well as getting more out of Robertson offensively.

Players like Christie, mcginn and Armstrong do this well IMO.

Trying to work out what's the best scenario just now. Croatia currently beating Greece 1-0 which will send them top of group. If Scotland beat San Marino then we are too with two games left Vs Croatia and Greece. If Greece lose and the Czechs win are they out? If Croatia draw and we win we will be 3 points better off but Greece will still be in it.