What to do with Tierney- An epiphany - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What to do with Tierney- An epiphany

ceudmilefailte

OK he's a left back but I think we have one of those. 

Suggested positions

Right back, defender in a back 3 or 4 or left midfield. Personally I thought central defender in a back four was the best option up until now.

How about we set up like Man Utd with a 4-2-3-1 formation with Tierney and McTominay as the 2.

It solves a few problems. Gives the defence the maximum amount of cover we can, allows the attacking midfield 3 to get forward and gets rid of the traditional style detached lone striker. ( are we the only country in the world that plays 4-5-1)

Fraser Mcginn and Christie as the 3 has them all playing on the sides  of the park they are best

Mcburnie is probably our best striker but needs other players around him.

I think it's time to admit 4-5-1 is not the answer.

Can’t see tierney playing centre midfield as he’s never played there before. I was thinking maybe play 3 at the back with a diamond midfield and 2 wing backs.   

Marshall  

Cooper McKenna tierney 

Mcgregor 

forrest Mctominay Armstrong robbo 

McGinn 

Mcburnie

centre midfield is our strongest area may aswell try and get 4 of them into the team. Could maybe swap Forrest for Christie or Fraser. 

Maybe I am fickle but I don't dislike either suggestion.  The one above at-least removes the right back slot and, with the exception of Christie has all of our best players on the park - but does it gel? Only one way to find out. 

9 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Maybe I am fickle but I don't dislike either suggestion.  The one above at-least removes the right back slot and, with the exception of Christie has all of our best players on the park - but does it gel? Only one way to find out. 

We definitely need to try it out. Tierney has performed well in that position for arsenal. 

Edited by bigfingers

17 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Can’t see tierney playing centre midfield as he’s never played there before. I was thinking maybe play 3 at the back with a diamond midfield and 2 wing backs.   

Marshall  

Cooper McKenna tierney 

Mcgregor 

forrest Mctominay Armstrong robbo 

McGinn 

Mcburnie

centre midfield is our strongest area may aswell try and get 4 of them into the team. Could maybe swap Forrest for Christie or Fraser. 

I would be ok with that but with Armstrong in place of Forrest and fraser playing as an inside forward.

7 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

We definitely need to try it out. Tierney has performed well in that position for arsenal. 

Only problem is Robertson Isn't a wing back. Think I must be in a minority in thinking wing backs and fullbacks are totally different positions.

I know Tierney hasn't played central midfield but he has all the credentials to fill the role I suggested.

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Only problem is Robertson Isn't a wing back. Think I must be in a minority in thinking wing backs and fullbacks are totally different positions.

I know Tierney hasn't played central midfield but he has all the credentials to fill the role I suggested.

There’s more chance of Robbo playing wing back than tierney playing centre midfield. 

If we cant fit Robbo into that formation then it’ll have to be 4 at the back, robbo playing left back.

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Only problem with the back three is they are all left footers!

Well pointed out Sir.  Cooper in the middle and Declan Gallagher on the right of the three,  urch just read about his assault charge. 

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

OK he's a left back but I think we have one of those. 

Suggested positions

Right back, defender in a back 3 or 4 or left midfield. Personally I thought central defender in a back four was the best option up until now.

How about we set up like Man Utd with a 4-2-3-1 formation with Tierney and McTominay as the 2.

It solves a few problems. Gives the defence the maximum amount of cover we can, allows the attacking midfield 3 to get forward and gets rid of the traditional style detached lone striker. ( are we the only country in the world that plays 4-5-1)

Fraser Mcginn and Christie as the 3 has them all playing on the sides  of the park they are best

Mcburnie is probably our best striker but needs other players around him.

I think it's time to admit 4-5-1 is not the answer.

That’s the formation we already play.

13 hours ago, Malcolm said:

robertson played wing back versus England.  Not a totally different position.  Alternative would be tierney at centre half with Robertson full back.

Ful back and Wing back are two fundamentally different roles as require different capabilities to carry them out successfully.

Some players may be able to play both but Robertson doesn't appear to be one of them, he struggles when played as anything other than an orthodox full back. 

What to do with Tierney? We will.have to wait and see if he is fit enough first, we know he is fit enough for arsenal matches but scotland matches are notoriously hard and clearly need another level of fitness. 😉

29 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

What to do with Tierney? We will.have to wait and see if he is fit enough first, we know he is fit enough for arsenal matches but scotland matches are notoriously hard and clearly need another level of fitness. 😉

Haha exactly, let’s get him in a squad first 

I'd like us to try out Robertson at RB... Jardine and McGrain managed to play in the same team for years, and most professional footballers should be able to play effectively on either flank.

I think Tierney is less suited to switching sides, partly because his game is more to hug the touchline and to hit crosses on the overlap near the goal line. Robertson's more inclined to look inside and play quick linking passes forward to the stikers than Tierney. This can be done from either side of the pitch. Robertson's also captain so he shouldn't have an issue with playing in an unusual position for the good of the team.

Edited by COLT NY