Season 20/21 - Page 166 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

But you have laughed along when a fellow poster suggested a new song would be “Scotty McKenna joins the IRA” and have used terminology associated with the same group. 

Let’s not deny it isn’t your style, it’s been on here in black & white for all to see 😃

Ok. Carry on..👍🙂🙂

33 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Ok. Carry on..👍🙂🙂

Carry on with what?

I’ve posted a true statement, there’s nothing else to say apart from you lying and denying it. 

Lots of people have seen it, that’s the joy of the internet, it won’t go away 😀

47 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Carry on with what?

I’ve posted a true statement, there’s nothing else to say apart from you lying and denying it. 

Lots of people have seen it, that’s the joy of the internet, it won’t go away 😀

I must apologize DD. Its 30 degree in Ottawa, terrible heatwave, I will read your previous post after I remove ma balaclava, sweatin like fuck and cannae read it clearly..  Sorry pal..  Yae ken😉

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

DD, you have also claimed to be more Scottish than me.. How So? Honest question mate..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Can you keep the thread on topic please, this has nothing to do with football, I’ve no idea why you’re even mentioning it. 

ps

I’m not your mate 👍🏽

21 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Can you keep the thread on topic please, this has nothing to do with football, I’ve no idea why you’re even mentioning it. 

ps

I’m not your mate 👍🏽

My apologies . Will stick to the topic, and yes, we are not mates. Typo....

6 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Why the ayebrokes? 

Cause they haven't made a penny in their history.

Hate is hate imo...

I only hate things like sectarianism and racism.

Stop the hatred. 

Nope. 

26 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

My apologies . Will stick to the topic, and yes, we are not mates. Typo....

Apology not accepted. 

You’ve hounded, abused and bullied me for far too long now to accept an apology. 

7 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Only looking and interested in facts scotty. If you don't believe what rangers have said before and after then that is up to you. Conversing with u is impossible because of your hatred. Just reminds me of conversing with OF fans of a similar mindset. I won't change your mind of hatred so I won't bother. Rangers asked the fans not to march and have condemned it since. Which part of facts are available to you in your mind?

Aye, 'my' hatred. That's the issue here, isn't it?

"Yet what has been missing from such condemnatory commentary – with Police Scotland equally unequivocal in calling out the carnage – is self reflection. That is required because all parts of civil society, our highest authorities and, in no small part, we in the media have all been enablers in allowing a corrosive sense of entitlement to be brewed with a cocktail of anti-Catholic/anti-Irish bigotry. The concoction percolates into a mindset that now twice inside three months – just ponder that, twice! – has resulted in Glasgow city centre disturbances that have been despicable in scale and nature.

We hear the word “minority” bandied about. The word was, predictably and depressingly, front and centre in an apology of a statement from Rangers that, astonishingly watery and mealy-mouthed, made reference only to “inappropriate behaviour”. In itself, entirely inappropriate. The Ibrox club’s deliberate obfuscation on these fronts is fingers-in-the-ears and hands-over-the-eyes stuff. Of course, the miscreants were a minority. A sizeable minority, though...in a huge fanbase. It is no minority of the 50,000 crowd that were singing the Super Rangers song, with its line about “Fenian bastards”, or The Billy Boys chant, which talks about being “up to our knees in Fenian blood”, when Ibrox was full to the gunwales pre-pandemic.

These anti-Catholic/anti-Irish sentiments have been responsible for the club having sections of Ibrox closed by UEFA for European games twice - twice! - inside the past two years. They have never faced any such sanctions domestically, ever, for the fact that, what the European body called “racist behaviour - which includes sectarian singing”, is heard often in their Scottish football matches. When that happens, it is very rarely recorded in any media outlets, and practically never called out by government and police. It can be little surprise then that people feel emboldened to behave as they did in and around George Square on Saturday evening.

The desperate, misplaced, desire to equivocate and suggest the wrongs in the conduct of a section of the Rangers support are shared city wide, hasn’t helped. The Ibrox club are on their own in this city and any other across the global game when it comes to the expression of anti-Catholic sentiment, and that should have been long since acknowledged.

What should have been a joyous outpouring over a first ever title, and on the back of Rangers’ 2012 liquidation :moon: and Sevco's rise through the leagues, ended with supporters setting upon their own, as well as police.

There is a faction of Rangers’ fanbase – Protestant and unionist in hue – that is motivated by hate, pure and simple. Hatred of a closest rival, Celtic, because that club has roots and a culture firmly Irish Catholic, and republican. Ahead of Rangers’ admirable on-field renaissance, that rival had been lording it for so long in the game. Moreover, these fans have the ultimate slag for their Rangers counterparts with the new club/old club teasing, a consequence of malfeasance by previous owners of the Ibrox institution that has created desperate insecurities over sense of history. All of these elements underpinned what has exploded into the public domain in recent times. As so often happens in such situations, these insecurities allowed for the fomenting of a bogus sense of victimhood, Rangers falsely presenting themselves as the oppressed. In these situations, so often the believed oppressed actually become the oppressors.

Ultimately, the pre-planned, publicly promoted, march to George Square – pushed by Ultras group the Union Bears – is one thread in that. Football supporters typically congregate at their own stadium to savour successes with their own tribe. They rarely demand to take over a city centre. The Union Bears wanted this to happen to affirm, in their twisted minds, that the city belongs to them, to put the Fenians in their place. It is akin to an animal urinating to mark their territory...which many literally did. :lol: It is all entwined in Walter Smith’s astute observation about the nature of Rangers supporters’ “superiority complex”. The bigotry and racism at its core cannot be allowed to go unchallenged any more. No more dereliction of duty, no more false equivalences. From any of us."

6 hours ago, dandydunn said:

But you have laughed along when a fellow poster suggested a new song would be “Scotty McKenna joins the IRA” and have used terminology associated with the same group. 

Let’s not deny it isn’t your style, it’s been on here in black & white for all to see 😃

The plot thickens

23 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Thanks. Hope to see you back at pittodrie soon 👍🏽

Aye, becoming a wee tradition.

Bet I'd notice a difference in Matty.

My girlfriend and I will be over as soon as the pandemic settles down here, and we get the all-clear.

(She's been watching all the games with me, so well up to speed.)

Thinking about possibly renting a place for 6-8 weeks this time, and showing her around (and of course the Dandies home and away).

8 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Aye, becoming a wee tradition.

Bet I'd notice a difference in Matty.

My girlfriend and I will be over as soon as the pandemic settles down here, and we get the all-clear.

(She's been watching all the games with me, so well up to speed.)

Thinking about possibly renting a place for 6-8 weeks this time, and showing her around (and of course the Dandies home and away).

Oh you would, he’s about 5’ 6” and a goalie now. Not the little boy from last time 😂

Hopefully it’s not too long, but I won’t hold my breath yet 🙈

On 5/18/2021 at 10:56 AM, Rolling hIlls said:

Do one day in secondary class. Try and get them to behave, jackets off, phones away and feet down from the table. They tell u to fuck off. I don't know what school you went to but it never ever happened in my day.

Were teachers still allowed to use the Lochgelly in your day?

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Huge game for Killie and Dundee tonight. Surely killie will have too much for Dundee?

I actually can't believe Sky are showing this. They are affording it a massive 15 minute buildup as due to the absence of either Thin Firm club their pundits will have nothing to say pre-match.

3 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

I actually can't believe Sky are showing this. They are affording it a massive 15 minute buildup as due to the absence of either Thin Firm club their pundits will have nothing to say pre-match.

I didn't know it was on TV. Thanks morrie, I'll get it through the firestick

Strangely some of my best memories of aberdeeb the season we stayed up via the playoff. The Dundee United match followed by the two legged play off v dunfermline. The atmosphere was amazing

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

🤣

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Huge game for Killie and Dundee tonight. Surely killie will have too much for Dundee?

Nothing against Killie, however, if I had to choose selfishly (as a Don) then I'm cheering for Dundee.

Less travel, the potential for a bigger away support, and the away games would be played on grass.

Also, another derby would return to the Premiership.

==============

1-0 after 6 minutes.

1 minute ago, Jersey Jim said:

Danny Mullen MOTM so in my opinion, loved him when he played for the buddies. 

You want him back? He is a truly dreadful player, he has missed so many sitters this season.