Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 27 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

40 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Grant Hanley having a tough afternoon against Chelsea 

I see that Timm Klose who's one of Norwich's regular centre halves was on the bench today - he's been injured since pre-season - so I suspect that Hanley will be dropped sooner rather than later.

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

I see that Timm Klose who's one of Norwich's regular centre halves was on the bench today - he's been injured since pre-season - so I suspect that Hanley will be dropped sooner rather than later.

I agree. Hanley isn't up to that standard I'm afraid . Saw the highlights of Norwich s game last week and looked very ropey.  His performance was masked over cause Norwich won the game 

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

If it's the goal that keeps them up then yes. 

It’s a bit early to suggest that goal will keep them up. 

Good to see him get on the scoresheet though. Hopefully there’s plenty more to come from him for Sheffield United and Scotland. 

20 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

A pity as I thought he'd turned us down.

He hasn’t retired from international football. 

I expect to see him in the squad when it’s announced next week. Unless he’s still ‘managing an injury’. 

8 hours ago, noctonjock said:

I agree. Hanley isn't up to that standard I'm afraid . Saw the highlights of Norwich s game last week and looked very ropey.  His performance was masked over cause Norwich won the game 

Hanley is just exposed against any sort of pace and movement. That's why I'm against Cooper being called up tbh, he's very much of the same ilk after watching him against Derby's quick forwards in the play offs.

At least someone like Mulgrew could actually move and read the game a bit.

Oh for a dynamic CB who can bring the ball out and have decent recovery pace, maybe with patience Scott McKenna could eventually develop into a decent one but I dunno.

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Hanley is just exposed against any sort of pace and movement. That's why I'm against Cooper being called up tbh, he's very much of the same ilk after watching him against Derby's quick forwards in the play offs.

At least someone like Mulgrew could actually move and read the game a bit.

Oh for a dynamic CB who can bring the ball out and have decent recovery pace, maybe with patience Scott McKenna could eventually develop into a decent one but I dunno.

I pretty much agree with your assessment of Hanley but mulgrew isn't any better overall as a centre back and McKenna isn't either as well so we have basically have no one who is good in that position. It seems like ppl like to slag Hanley which I can understand but truth is we have no one better. 

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I pretty much agree with your assessment of Hanley but mulgrew isn't any better overall as a centre back and McKenna isn't either as well so we have basically have no one who is good in that position. It seems like ppl like to slag Hanley which I can understand but truth is we have no one better. 

Mulgrew did alright in the 2018 qualifiers imo.

Just looked at the line ups for those games. First four which included the awful 3-0 trouncing in Slovakia had a back 4 of Calum Paterson-Russell Martin (useless at Walsall last season)- Hanley-Tierney.

Hanley actually started the first four games of that run which cost a play off spot.

Then from Slovenia at home when Strachan started getting his selections right the team weren't actually that easy to score against.  Clean sheets v Slovenia, Slovakia, Lithuania and Malta. Mulgrew was in from the Slovenia game instead of Hanley and you also had Berra and Tierney in the back 5. None worldbeaters but there was decent variety at least from each of the three CBs.

4 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Hanley and Martin always just looked really sluggish at the back, so immobile. 

Mulgrew doesn’t have pace but he can read the game a lot better than most of our defenders so that makes up for it.

Funny we used to say not to pick players that are sitting on the bench for their clubs, We could probably make a team up based on the amount of suggestions on here. (OK I like to exaggerate )

I am a massive fan of Mulgrew but if you don't get a start for a lower table championship team should you even be in a Scotland squad. Playing our over 30's that are no better than under our under 25's has held us back for years.

56 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Funny we used to say not to pick players that are sitting on the bench for their clubs, We could probably make a team up based on the amount of suggestions on here. (OK I like to exaggerate )

I am a massive fan of Mulgrew but if you don't get a start for a lower table championship team should you even be in a Scotland squad. Playing our over 30's that are no better than under our under 25's has held us back for years.

Agreed, I’m disappointed at the lack of game time Mulgrew has had, just stating why he’s been a better option in the past campaigns.

We seem to have a problem with these upcoming games where a lot of our regular picks have moved clubs this summer and are sitting on the bench either because they’re getting bedded in or that’s just where their new managers see them.