Gordon Brown - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gordon Brown

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the tone on here.

Brown is merely asking us to sign a petition to ensure the three party leaders' pre-referndum vow, that he and Alasdair Darling fully and comprehensively endorsed at the time, is delivered. He could not have envisaged that on getting a No vote each of the parties would them immediately backtrack and play politics against one another as they jockey for election position. How could a hardworking backbench politician doing his best for the Scottish people (and not the UK Labour Party as some have suggested) know after a lifetime in politics that politicians would be so duplicitous?

Had me going there for a minute

Textbook Nu Labour operating procedure. Blair campaigned for the 2005 GE almost without speaking to a single ordinary punter.I am yet to be convinced that many people voted No on the back of the vow; if anything it pushed more folk in the opposite direction.Of course, that doesn't make it right, and it should be used to highlight, frequently, just how devious, untrustworthy and unreliable those people who argued for the union are, Mr Brown especially.

Even if only one sap was swayed by the vow, Brown, on the back of the Three Amigos charging up to Scotland to give their undertaking, said it was set in stone. As such he, and the majority of Westminster politicians and their cronies, were willing to say absolutey anything if they thought it could secure the desired outcome. What pitiful levels of desperation to preserve their beloved Union, political parties and their own jobs..........

Nation of pussies.

Was the same with the poll tax. Only when they introduced in England did it kick off one year after they rammed us without a significant murmour.

edit: to be fair people in Scotland are so kowtowed I almost feel sorry for them. Then I don't.

I thought the same. Until I found out that non payment rates in Scotland were an order of magnitude (10x) higher than in England.

"The eyes of the world have been upon us and now I think the eyes of the world are on the leaders of the major parties of the United Kingdom. These are men who have been promise makers and they will not be promise breakers," he said.

"I will ensure that as a promise keeper these promises that have been made will be upheld."

Gordon Brown, 20/9/14

Was the same with the poll tax. Only when they introduced in England did it kick off one year after they rammed us without a significant murmour.

Bollocks!

I was a co-founder of the Woodlands against the poll tax group in Glasgow - a wide ranging group who met in the Halt Bar and got mass grass roots support from the local community - with many of them displaying the 'can pay won't pay' yellow/red anti-poll tax posters in the windows. There were groups all over the city in every area.

We had well attended meetings in willowbank primary school with sitting MPs visiting to speak/debate and had a burn your bills day when we were astounded to have over 200 folk show up to burn their bills. The civil disobedience was on a huge scale up here and provided the impetus and catalyst for what happened in London a couple of years later.

We lost control of the group late in 89 as a certain Mr Sheridan and his merry band of trots gradually took us over from within - but to say we all rolled over and had our baws tickled up here is simply not true.

Edited by Topcat

Nation of pussies.

edit: to be fair people in Scotland are so kowtowed I almost feel sorry for them. Then I don't.

Are you old enough to remember it? If you are, I can only assume you either slept through it or were off your face with booze or drugs.

Are you old enough to remember it? If you are, I can only assume you either slept through it or were off your face with booze or drugs.

Well you could forgo the supercillious comments for once and explain why you think otherwise Elephant Man. :wink2:

Watched that maybe a year ago, and remember thinking it would probably be spot on.

Sad and bitter watching that.

Aye, mind watching that too. Very prescient.

The only thing he's not factored in is the strengthening of the Yes campaign following a No vote (to be fair nobody really saw that coming). That depth of feeling and political appreciation will hopefully shield the SNP from the worst of any backlash, if they are boxed into a corner.

Bollocks!

I was a co-founder of the Woodlands against the poll tax group in Glasgow - a wide ranging group who met in the Halt Bar and got mass grass roots support from the local community - with many of them displaying the 'can pay won't pay' yellow/red anti-poll tax posters in the windows. There were groups all over the city in every area.

We had well attended meetings in willowbank primary school with sitting MPs visiting to speak/debate and had a burn your bills day when we were astounded to have over 200 folk show up to burn their bills. The civil disobedience was on a huge scale up here and provided the impetus and catalyst for what happened in London a couple of years later.

We lost control of the group late in 89 as a certain Mr Sheridan and his merry band of trots gradually took us over from within - but to say we all rolled over and had our baws tickled up here is simply not true.

I am talking about riots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_Tax_Riots

We don't feature.

edit:

Consequences

Fall of Thatcher[edit]
The riot in central London did much to contribute to the downfall of Margaret Thatcher, who resigned as Prime Minister in November the same year. The national opposition to the Community Charge (especially vehement in the North of England and Scotland) was the major factor- an opinion poll had found 12% favoured it.[8] John Major, who succeeded Thatcher, announced that the tax would be abolished.
Abandonment of the Community Charge[edit]
John Major announced in his first parliamentary speech as Prime Minister that the Community Charge was to be replaced by Council Tax. The new tax took no account of the income earned by the taxpayer, but did take into account the value of the property on which the householder was taxed. The anti-poll tax movement believed direct action was at least partially responsible for the change in government policy.[citation needed]
Edited by thplinth

Please peeps don't sign his petition.Brown told us these powers were guaranteed if we vote no.Why do we have to sign a petition to get what we were promised? Don't sign it and hope we never see any new powers,this will show the world the UK government can't and wont keep promises.This should be enough to swing the next vote in our favour.

Please peeps don't sign his petition.Brown told us these powers were guaranteed if we vote no.Why do we have to sign a petition to get what we were promised? Don't sign it and hope we never see any new powers,this will show the world the UK government can't and wont keep promises.This should be enough to swing the next vote in our favour.

This petition alre4ady had 80000 signators did it no? Was it not started by Yessers the day after the referendum? G.Browns just trying to hijack it.

The Wings petition is a piss take. it is a petition telling Brown to politely f*** off. would be nice to reach 100K signatories on that one before brown manages it on his one. that would surely make the news?

Edited by ShedTA