Team for forthcoming matches - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for forthcoming matches

Malcolm

16 minutes ago, Bino's said:

do we know what is up with mcburnie

will he be bakc on the pitch for swansea next league game

farcical approach some of these guys have

the albania game is huge

He had a toe injury a couple of weeks back but don’t know if that’s the reason he’s withdrawn. 

He played the full game at the weekend so it’s not as if he came off injured. 

Going from what he’s said before he doesn’t seem the type to pull out unnecessarily but who knows?

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He had a toe injury a couple of weeks back but don’t know if that’s the reason he’s withdrawn. 

He played the full game at the weekend so it’s not as if he came off injured. 

Going from what he’s said before he doesn’t seem the type to pull out unnecessarily but who knows?

there's a theme though, you cant deny it

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

From McBurnie you mean? Has he pulled out before?

Or do you just mean in general?

i remember barry ferguson used to pull out, ryan giggs style, cause he thought he was too important to bother with this game or that game

now every fucker does it

and for really shite reasons like i play in front of 15,000 down at selhurst park and the liberty stadium 

gees us a break

what if naisy, who i doubt with his age and physical style is ever 100% fit, rejected the call or pulls out

what if everyone who thinks theyre too important does it and we cant field a team

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

i remember barry ferguson used to pull out, ryan giggs style, cause he thought he was too important to bother with this game or that game

now every fucker does it

and for really shite reasons like i play in front of 15,000 down at selhurst park and the liberty stadium 

gees us a break

what if naisy, who i doubt with his age and physical style is ever 100% fit, rejected the call or pulls out

what if everyone who thinks theyre too important does it and we cant field a team

I don’t want to go completely off topic but it’s tragic that Barry Ferguson, one of our most talented players of that generation only got 45 caps

on another note  we do seem to lack in players who achieve high amounts of caps

15 minutes ago, Bino's said:

there's a theme though, you cant deny it

I think a number of them, if not all, are genuine.... Cairney is apparently out for a month at least for starters.

I do not think McBurney would pull out unless he was told he was not fit, as sure he had a feeling his form in early weeks of the season and having started last couple of games had not went unnoticed.

3 minutes ago, Bino's said:

now every fucker does it

gees us a break

I can’t see that happening. The majority of our players want to play for Scotland. Some people aren’t that fussed. 

Ferguson and Paul Lambert used to get right on my tits with their constant call offs. Did Ferguson ever actually play in a friendly for us?

Some players never pull out though unless they are genuinely injured. Darren Fletcher would always turn up and he often had a genuine reason not to. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I can’t see that happening. The majority of our players want to play for Scotland. Some people aren’t that fussed. 

Ferguson and Paul Lambert used to get right on my tits with their constant call offs. Did Ferguson ever actually play in a friendly for us?

Some players never pull out though unless they are genuinely injured. Darren Fletcher would always turn up and he often had a genuine reason not to. 

Ferguson was on pain killers most of the latter half of his career. He had some really bad injuries. He should be applauded for turning out for the competitive games. 

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Ferguson was on pain killers most of the latter half of his career. He had some really bad injuries. He should be applauded for turning out for the competitive games. 

I never knew this about Ferguson. Where did you read this? Is it common knowledge that he missed so much because of injury?

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

That’s a controversial statement with all the McArthur talk this week. 

I’m fairly sure Ferguson pulled out of more than his fair share of Scotland squads in the early part of his career. He seemed to take it more seriously when he was made captain. I could be misremembering to be fair. It was a good few years ago.  

A McGregor - GK

Souttar Mulgrew Tierney - Back 3

Robertson - LWB. 

Fraser - RWB. Forrest does the biz for Celtic but never hits those heights for Scotland.  Lets give Fraser a go.

C McGregor Armstrong McDonald - Midfield 3.  McDonald would be more defensive. McGregor is superb altho Armstrong not played much with Southampton.  

Naismith  - "Number 10". 

Griffiths - CF

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I don’t want to go completely off topic but it’s tragic that Barry Ferguson, one of our most talented players of that generation only got 45 caps

on another note  we do seem to lack in players who achieve high amounts of caps

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Could be because we keep bringing in average 31 year old's to replace injured players rather than younger players,

And because we qualify for fvck all.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

And because we qualify for fvck all.

Even without qualifying for any tournaments we do still play 8 matches per year. It is unusual that we have so few players making it over 50 caps, which would take only 6 years for a mainstay. 

6 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Even without qualifying for any tournaments we do still play 8 matches per year. It is unusual that we have so few players making it over 50 caps, which would take only 6 years for a mainstay. 

We do seem to be unlucky with injuries.

Gordon, Fletcher and McFadden all had injuries that kept them out for long spells. Kennedy has his career ended before it really got going.

Brown has has his share of injuries too. Snodgrass missed a season or two too. 

We've not had that many players that have been good enough to be a mainstay for 6 years. 

11 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I never knew this about Ferguson. Where did you read this? Is it common knowledge that he missed so much because of injury?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/a-bitter-pill-for-barry-1-1380124/amp

I found this but i’m sure there’s more. He was a terrific player.

Having rubbished McBurnie on here in the past I'm in the strange position of feeling a bit gutted that he's withdrawn. He's started the season really well and I'd been looking forward to seeing what he could do for us.  

Cairney and Phillips being injured is disappointing too, as they've also impressed me so far this season. Cairney in particular looks a class act. 

I'm pleased for Naismith though. He's in good form and we know he's capable of scoring at international level (albeit it's been a while!).

Sadly my main memory of Naismith at this pint is several years of missing sitters along side Fletch.

I guess we can hope that age has settled him and decent club for will carry over.

I think I'd still rather we'd bought in Rhodes tho. Griff, Russell and Naismith must be among the shortest trio of international strikers around.

8 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He also used to have a lot of post season operations to clean things up.   Outwith the injuries he picked up, I remember reading that he had a lot of pelvic problems due to his playing style, the constant swivelling to change direction resulted in a lot of wear and tear.  I think that was the main reason for the painkillers.   I suspect he'll probably need hip replacements eventually. 

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

We’ve got a match tomorrow and I’m struggling to care. Apathy all round 

It's a really weird choice of opponent. Belgium will almost certainly run rings around us - because they have far better players than we do - so what could we learn from the game that we don't already know?  We're about to go into a mini group with two teams of a similar standard as us, so the way (I imagine) Eck will line the team up tomorrow will be quite different from the way he lines the team up on Monday - which is the important game.

Also, in spite of having an excellent team, I don't think Belgium even have much of an away support, so it's not like the SFA will make a load of money from the game. 

To me, I'd rather play a side of the level of, say, the Czech Republic or Greece - good sides who'd provide a test but who we should be able to compete with. 

18 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It's a really weird choice of opponent. Belgium will almost certainly run rings around us - because they have far better players than we do - so what could we learn from the game that we don't already know?  We're about to go into a mini group with two teams of a similar standard as us, so the way (I imagine) Eck will line the team up tomorrow will be quite different from the way he lines the team up on Monday - which is the important game.

Also, in spite of having an excellent team, I don't think Belgium even have much of an away support, so it's not like the SFA will make a load of money from the game. 

To me, I'd rather play a side of the level of, say, the Czech Republic or Greece - good sides who'd provide a test but who we should be able to compete with. 

I couldn't agree more. I think the the right friendlies to line up would be with teams in League B of the Nations League. That would provide a good test against teams at a level we are striving to get to. However, I confess I do not fully understand the intricacies of arranging friendlies.