Scottish player transfers - Page 194 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

Keepers a couple of young hopes

Vincent Angelini left Watford for Brentford.

Sam Long joined Bromley on loan from Lincoln supposedly after impressing on the first half of the season with Drogheda in Ireland.

Regarding Georg Johnstone I know a mad Bolton fan raves about him reckons if they do not get up he will leave for a club higher up.

6 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

In 16/17 Souttar played 10 times in PL2 following his move to Stoke. In the same season McCrorie played 9 times in the (Scottish) Championship, Porteous played regularly in (Scottish) League 2, Bates played in the SPL and Johnston was playing at EPL U18 level.

In 17/18 Souttar played 9 games in the Scottish Prem as well as making his senior debut for Stoke and playing regularly in PL2. In the same season McCrorie played regularly in the Scottish Prem, Porteous played 6 games in the Scottish Prem, Bates played 12 games in the Scottish Prem and Johnston played 13 times in PL2. 

I don't see anything in that to suggest that his senior experience was significantly less than the others. If anything George Johnston is the clear outlier there. 

Bates and McCrorie had played a bit more first team football, including European football, by late 2018/early 2019 when Souttar threw in his lot with Australia.

In any case, that there isn't much difference illustrates my point: at the time Souttar didn't appear to be drastically better than the alternatives. In the last game he played for the Scotland U19s he was part of a defence that conceded three goals against Austria. Maybe Scotland's coaches felt others were ahead of him in terms of development at that stage (we all develop at different rates).

Clearly now he is streets ahead of his peers from that period but it's easy to be wise in hindsight. If he had chosen to wait a bit longer he'd have undoubtedly won senior caps for Scotland. The fact he was so quick to accept a call-up from another country suggests he wasn't really too committed to Scotland anyway.

That said, I wonder if Steve Clarke tried to get in touch with him after he became Scotland boss. By that point in time Souttar had accepted a call-up for Australia's U23s but had yet to formally switched allegiance.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Bates and McCrorie had played a bit more first team football, including European football, by late 2018/early 2019 when Souttar threw in his lot with Australia.

In any case, that there isn't much difference illustrates my point: at the time Souttar didn't appear to be drastically better than the alternatives. In the last game he played for the Scotland U19s he was part of a defence that conceded three goals against Austria. Maybe Scotland's coaches felt others were ahead of him in terms of development at that stage (we all develop at different rates).

Clearly now he is streets ahead of his peers from that period but it's easy to be wise in hindsight. If he had chosen to wait a bit longer he'd have undoubtedly won senior caps for Scotland. The fact he was so quick to accept a call-up from another country suggests he wasn't really too committed to Scotland anyway.

That said, I wonder if Steve Clarke tried to get in touch with him after he became Scotland boss. By that point in time Souttar had accepted a call-up for Australia's U23s but had yet to formally switched allegiance.

When his older brother John broke through I'm sure he was described along the lines of being a technically gifted ball playing central defender . 

Given the fact his younger brother is 5 inches taller & plays in a similar position i don't think it's ridiculous to presume that he may have similar attributes to his big brother. This potential combination alone was enough to excite the Stoke city scouts so I don't think it's too much to ask that our national teams coaching staff should have also seen young Harry as a serious prospect to be nurtured.

Instead they left him out & picked their favoured regulars all of whom look like turning out to be journeyman . Sounds familiar within our youth set up does it not🤔.                                                              So unless in a pretty unlikely event  Harry states himself that his first choice was always Oz I'll personally always blame the Sfa.

Anyway it's too late so good luck to the lad i hope he has a good EPL career, that's my final word on the subject.

6 hours ago, theabsentee said:

When his older brother John broke through I'm sure he was described along the lines of being a technically gifted ball playing central defender . 

Given the fact his younger brother is 5 inches taller & plays in a similar position i don't think it's ridiculous to presume that he may have similar attributes to his big brother. This potential combination alone was enough to excite the Stoke city scouts so I don't think it's too much to ask that our national teams coaching staff should have also seen young Harry as a serious prospect to be nurtured.

Instead they left him out & picked their favoured regulars all of whom look like turning out to be journeyman . Sounds familiar within our youth set up does it not🤔.                                                              So unless in a pretty unlikely event  Harry states himself that his first choice was always Oz I'll personally always blame the Sfa.

Anyway it's too late so good luck to the lad i hope he has a good EPL career, that's my final word on the subject.

That’s pretty much it.

it’s the classic Jim McSgroogle 100 games for St Mirren and playing under 21s at 23 scenario once again from the halfwits that run our youth teams.

mental that it’s 2023 and Gemmill & Stark are still in charge of two of our most important youth teams - sure about 5/6 years ago or more we were saying how nonsensical it was they were in those positions. 

8 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Having an elder brother who's good is no guarantee that the younger sibling will be too.  Look at Wesley Sneijder: 100+ caps for the Netherlands and a Champions League winner but has a brother who couldn't get a game for Dundee Utd. 

If you're determined to play for your country you don't throw in the towel at the age of 20, ffs, especially when you have already been capped at age group level in the recent past.  Gemmill is a prat but he's not solely responsible here.

I'm sure Souttar knows his own mind though and he's made his choice, so good luck to him.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Having an elder brother who's good is no guarantee that the younger sibling will be too.  Look at Wesley Sneijder: 100+ caps for the Netherlands and a Champions League winner but has a brother who couldn't get a game for Dundee Utd. 

If you're determined to play for your country you don't throw in the towel at the age of 20, ffs, especially when you have already been capped at age group level in the recent past.  Gemmill is a prat but he's not solely responsible here.

I'm sure Souttar knows his own mind though and he's made his choice, so good luck to him.

Well his choice doesn’t seem to be going too badly for him given he’s just played well at a World Cup and made it to the knockout stages.

Just a shame those in charge of those teams made the choice a little bit easier for him a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Well his choice doesn’t seem to be going too badly for him given he’s just played well at a World Cup and made it to the knockout stages.

Just a shame those in charge of those teams made the choice a little bit easier for him a few years ago. 

To be clear from the off, im no fsn of Gemmill or indeed the youth setup for Scotland however in Soutters case I think people are using hindsight as a tool to criticise.

At the time when Soutter made his choice to play for Australia it wasnt obvious to anybody that he might go on to becoming a 15 million pound player. He wasnt being overlooked for guys that clearly werent going to make it (like in some other circumstances).  He was being overlooked for guys that were of at least a similar standard. Now if Gemmill etc had opted for Soutter and left somebody else out then we could easily have been sitting here today with that player having gone for 15 million and Soutter playing for Inverness.

Sometimes its hard to project a players improvment. Personally I think Soutter jumped ship far too soon and it wasnt like he was being frozen out. At the time I didnt think it would have been appropriate for hin to jump the queue and to be honest I still dont think he will become a good defender.

Imo he isnt any better than the likes of Cooper, McKenna, Hendry and will play most of his career in the Championship at best.

3 hours ago, csinclair said:

Just seen that 3 time capped Mikey Devlin is on trial at Hibs. If I'm honest I'd completely forgotten he'd played for Scotland

I'd forgotten he existed! 🤣

Remember him now though, ex-Aberdeen centre-half. Played a few games towards the end of the Euro 2020 qualifiers, including the drubbing by Russia.

• 2 weeks later...

I watch a lot of Serie A. Ferguson has more than held his own, often looking one of the better players on the pitch. Doig similar. Playing very well for Hellas Verona. BT Sport have most of the games on. Bologna play Inter at 11.30 on Sunday coming. Verona are 5.30 v Milan next Monday, if anyone wants a look at these boys against quality opposition. 

16 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I watch a lot of Serie A. Ferguson has more than held his own, often looking one of the better players on the pitch. Doig similar. Playing very well for Hellas Verona. BT Sport have most of the games on. Bologna play Inter at 11.30 on Sunday coming. Verona are 5.30 v Milan next Monday, if anyone wants a look at these boys against quality opposition. 

Could ferguson start in the Scotland midfield? 

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Sounds like he's doing well out there. Thankfully he didn't go to an Old Firm side, as I think he would've stagnated - probably wouldn't even be playing regularly...

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Could ferguson start in the Scotland midfield? 

Don't see why not. He's playing at a level with quality similar to England and impressing. He seems to be versatile and very tactically aware in his positioning. Seems calm and rarely gives the ball away. I'd love to hear his thoughts on his own form and how he's been working with Bologna. I'm sure Steve Clarke will be well aware. 

25 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Don't see why not. He's playing at a level with quality similar to England and impressing. He seems to be versatile and very tactically aware in his positioning. Seems calm and rarely gives the ball away. I'd love to hear his thoughts on his own form and how he's been working with Bologna. I'm sure Steve Clarke will be well aware. 

Might be worth giving him a chance alongside Mcgregor and Mcginn to freshen things up a little. Ferguson will be riding high on confidence after not just breaking in but impressing for a Serie A team. 

26 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Thought it was interesting Clarke left him out against Ukraine & Ireland and told him to focus on getting into the Bologna side and it seems to be paying dividends now. As I've said in a different thread, I think it should be McTominay & McGregor against Cyprus because of how they did in the last competitive games but I'd have Ferguson next in line as he's been in much better form than Gilmour, McLean or Jack

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Might be worth giving him a chance alongside Mcgregor and Mcginn to freshen things up a little. Ferguson will be riding high on confidence after not just breaking in but impressing for a Serie A team. 

Maybe a pivot of 

McGregor 

Mcginn          ferguson

That would be a decent midfield with armstrong and christie coming on as subs.

5 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

He’s doing well. You’d expect the paper gossip linking him to Juve & Milan is garbage though. But he’s certainly having a good season and he’s one of our only players who are playing regularly too!