Scottish player transfers - Page 189 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

On 10/7/2022 at 4:07 PM, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

That's certainly part of it, but those of us long enough in the tooth to have lived through the lean times (and be old enough to take notice of what was going on) will remember there was a huge amount of soul searching across Scottish football for many years and starting even before 1998, somewhat culminating in the Mcleish report but of course continuing afterward too in terms of continual non-qualification for tournaments. I remember vividly how clear it was to everyone I interacted with that the issue was the way we were teaching kids football - a huge focus on strength and fitness (and being large) and too little on technique and football intelligence. That national conversation will have seeped into the mindset of the entire game here - although many would have remained unmoved (see messers Stark and Gemmill in the Scotland youth set up for instance), many will have seen the light and sought to educate themselves to train footballers in another way. Some of that conversation took place as long as 30 years ago, so the young aspiring coaches of that generation are almost at retirement age now. It has taken a long time and I am certain the influence and hard work of a great many people to start to shift the attitudes in Scotland, but we are now starting to see the fruit of that.

Through gritted teeth I might almost say the SFA have done well, although much too slowly and much too late for my liking. The Performance Schools and more widely the Performance Strategy (including the much-maligned Club Academy Scotland system) seem to be producing significantly more players able to compete at the required level now.

I think Andy Roxburgh was talking about this when he was Scotland manager; the talent coming through wasn't good enough due to the failure to focus enough on the technical and mental side of the game.

We're starting to see the impact of improving that side of our young players' game - at the very least we may be looking at a period where we have a serious chance of qualifying regularly for major tournaments (especially the Euros) and being at the level the Czechs, Serbs, Swedes, Danes, Swiss, etc. have typically been at over the past twenty years or so.

It's just a shame it's taken as long as it has for the powers that be to respond to it.

Man City have signed Emilio Lawrence from Everton. All news outlets referring to him as Scottish as he has been capped for U16s though is eligible for England too but hasn't had any callups from them. Apparently a very highly rated talent, hopefully he's involved in future youth squads.

• 3 weeks later...

Ben Doak being looked at by Nottingham Forest for a loan move, apparently. Personally I think he'd be better off training with the likes of Salah every day until the end of the season at least. 

But if he were to be getting first team football regularly in the EPL at 17, that would be hard to argue against.

3 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Harrison Ashbys transfer to Newcastle from West Ham is apparently already agreed, Newcastle are going to get him in Jan rather than wait till he is on bosman in July, 2.5m, West Ham offered numerous deals to keep him and Leeds and Celtic amongst others interested.

Seems odd. Ashby has hardly been near the West Ham team. Or has he had injury issues I don't know about? Newcastle are now one of the richest teams in the world, so it seems strange they'd be going for an unproven young Scottish full back. I'm all for it though. The more right backs the merrier.

36 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Seems odd. Ashby has hardly been near the West Ham team. Or has he had injury issues I don't know about? Newcastle are now one of the richest teams in the world, so it seems strange they'd be going for an unproven young Scottish full back. I'm all for it though. The more right backs the merrier.

Sorry Tartan, for some reason I cannot respond back, as above, He has been injured for most of the season, but when he has played he has impressed, West Ham fans are not happy that he is leaving and blame Moyes for not giving him a run in the team, they rate him higher than Coufal and Johnson it seems.

Newcastle want him to take over Trippier eventually and see him in the same mould as him and to learn from him, apparently Leeds had him eyed as a starter. Celtic had been long term admirers and apparently tried to get him on loan in the past. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

If he gets gametime at newcastle then great but if he doesnt then its not a good move considering hes 21 and never played much in his career. Maybe newcastle could loan him to a championship side were he could play every week and then next season give him starts. Seems a strange move considering newcastle have limitless funds.

3 hours ago, syecosse said:

Sorry Tartan, for some reason I cannot respond back, as above, He has been injured for most of the season, but when he has played he has impressed, West Ham fans are not happy that he is leaving and blame Moyes for not giving him a run in the team, they rate him higher than Coufal and Johnson it seems.

Newcastle want him to take over Trippier eventually and see him in the same mould as him and to learn from him, apparently Leeds had him eyed as a starter. Celtic had been long term admirers and apparently tried to get him on loan in the past. 

It's a shame he didn't sign for Leeds then.