Peru - Match Thread - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Peru - Match Thread

Clyde1998

22 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I'm not sure it was deliberate handball; he had his back to the player so no way could it have been intentional.

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

In which case it shouldn't have been a penalty. 

It could be argued that the handball didn't stop the clear goalscoring opportunity. Once McKenna gets his body in the way, it could be argued that the ball is no longer net bound, or even that Mulgrew would be able to cover it if it was. 

If i was the ref, that'd be the get-out i'd be using. 

Just now, Parklife said:

It could be argued that the handball didn't stop the clear goalscoring opportunity. Once McKenna gets his body in the way, it could be argued that the ball is no longer net bound, or even that Mulgrew would be able to cover it if it was. 

If i was the ref, that'd be the get-out i'd be using. 

That's certainly arguable and I'd agree that the ref probably used that as a get out in a friendly although I'd say probably more the distance from goal and the angle, the ref could argue it wasn't clear the ball would have gone in.  In a competitive game he'd have been under a lot more pressure to show a red card. 

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

In which case it shouldn't have been a penalty. 

You know that and I know that, but the definition of “intentional” seemed to have changed in recent years although I’m not sure there’s actually a rule about it now. Clearly McKenna didn’t deliberately handle the ball, but as has become the unwritten (I think) rule, because his arms were in an “unnatural” position. It’s deemed to be deliberate. I’m comfortable with that concept but it makes for pretty subjective decision making. 

Did Peru actually get out of first gear?

Genuine question, I was dozing off in and out the whole game

From what I seen, other than the keeper making a Noel Hunt of the goals, I thought it was a decent performance considering the circumstances 

Given the depleted and b-ish nature of the squad, maybe my expectations for the game were really low, but felt we played not all that bad.

Peru were nowhere near what I expected (Costa Rica at Hampden were a lot better than they were) as was clear that a number of players had one eye on the World Cup (so not bursting a gut as they might have done in a qualifier) while others were trying to impress before their squad is trimmed ahead of the final one for the World Cup.

Archer had a nightmare for the first goal (any keeper that comes that far out and backtracks at the last moment is always asking for trouble) but felt second goal was more down to the defense as a whole sleeping (Archer is certainly not good enough to be No1, but still a good squad player that will put his performance down to first game nerves).

McTorminay showed in patches that he could offer us something... Phillips was always going to have the thankless task of being starved of the ball all night, but back tracked enough (the team playing as a combined unit last night was encouraging, rather than under Strachan were you had certain players with certain tasks).... Defense (bar falling asleep for the 2nd goal) starting to look like its coming together (add in Robertson and Tierney and things might not be as bad as we feared not so long) and seeing Morgan coming on and looking lively was the one real highlight from last night.

Big fear was it was just going to be a repeat of USA in Jacksonville again, but can come away from that pretty satisfied.

Mexico on the other hand I feel could turn out to be a big disaster if we do not make the changes (granted, they did not shine against the Welsh earlier in the week, but different story in Mexico City in front of home fans, and with playing at altitude added in on top of that)

19 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Did Peru actually get out of first gear?

Certainly getting talked up in the opening commentary of the match (10 game unbeaten run, longest since pre-WW2 or something.... dark horses in their group who should finish second in their group, etc etc etc) but felt Costa Rica were A LOT better than them when we played them at Hampden.

Could be right about not getting out of first gear, as a number of players looked like they had one eye on the WC, but I suspect its a mixture of that and just been talked up a little to much also.

53 minutes ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

McBurnie is dung, Archer has had a nightmare.  We have no style of play whatsoever under McLeish other than occasionally lumping long balls up to guys who can't hold it up and it's something that probably won't change in the near future.

Then that is not the fault of the manager. If McBurnie is dung then who do we replace him with?

Guest ElChris04

hey guys! 1st time posting here & wanted to give my view on the Peru match, fristly as expected McLeish as manger for the next 2 years really is going to be woeful to watch the guy’s tactics were shocking again.. McLean as a RW & Phillips as a sole striker was poor imo would’ve had Phillips as a rw and mcburnie on as the striker.

moving on Jordan Archer performance was the worst I’ve ever seen a Scotland keeper player since i started watching the national team back in 2005. 2 mistakes were shocking keepeing and just really amateur probably his 1st & last cap for Scotland.

Then on to the fullbacks. SOD & Stevenson just weren’t good enough, both got outplayed every time peru were on the attack & terrible marking by sod was what lead to peru having the chance at the 1st goal,was hoping o’donnell Would step up giving right back is his natural position but he didn’t. say what you like about strachen but he got it bang on with KT as RB & Robbo as LB .. Tierney is a class above any right back we had when he played as right back and most importantly could actually mark his opponents.

& really disappointed in Mcgeouch & Mcginn was hoping thay would link up well with there partnership but unfortunately it didn’t happen either.. Mcginn went missing for 90 minutes and Mcgeouch kept losing possession really poorly.

Finally last thing that’s negative about the team was Phillips he just isn’t good enough to be a striker he kept losing the balls every time it was punted up to him & Murphy cleary doesn’t suit a 4-3-3 formation. The 4-3-3 just didn’t work and hopefully we will revert to a 4-2-3-1 for Mexico. 

On the the positive. Lewis Morgan when he came on looked a class above everyone in the Scotland team & a real player. For me he was the motm for the 20 minutes he came on.. skipped past 4 defenders to get the pass to Patterson to nearly set up mcburnie & looked dangerous when we were on the attack the Peru defensive midfielders just couldn’t handle him. 

Thankfully this is just a makeshift squad but mcleish need to get his act together & sort out his tactics as otherwise he won’t last the 2 years. anyway thankfully once we have Robertson Tierney Gordon Armstrong Griffiths McGregor Forrest Fraser back we’ll get back to our creative side.. also think Bain Hendry should become regulars Hendry for me is currently better than mulgrew and can only get better with his age as a centre back & if Morgan continues to play like he did last night then that’s another positive to to look to! anyway sorry if my 1st post was negative lol for the most part but was just disappointed in a lot off s the guys even if it was a makeshift. hopefully we’ll improve for the league off nations when we have back our best players and mcleish reverts to the 4-2-3-1 that worked for strachen and suits the players we have! 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

It's not though. Shinnie is about 50 times the player Stevenson is. Bizarre as fuck to see Stevenson start ahead of Shinnie. 

Not disagreeing with you in terms who is the better player but maybe the feeling is Shinnie is now seen as a midfielder who can play at the back, and given we already have Robertson, Douglas and Tierney there was no need to try Shinnie there??

Ok, I've watched it back now. Didn't see anything particularly positive. The best you could say is (a) we didn't get pumped, (b) McKenna was alright I suppose and (c) Morgan looked lively when he came on.

Meh 🙄

It was pretty poor throughout and we didn't seem to have a game plan especially after we went behind. 

We looked better once Paterson and Morgan came on but we never looked like getting near their goal. 

Murphy and the two full-backs shouldn't be near the squad for competitive games. Archer looked nervous throughout. I really don't see what McLean adds. 

I'm not looking forward to the Mexico match. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

56 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Not disagreeing with you in terms who is the better player but maybe the feeling is Shinnie is now seen as a midfielder who can play at the back, and given we already have Robertson, Douglas and Tierney there was no need to try Shinnie there??

I almost get what you're saying. However to me, if you don't have your first choice left-backs, you play the next best option. On this occasion, that's clearly Shinnie (in my opinion). 

I set my alarm and got up to watch that load of utter honking guff. Would've been better staying asleep and letting a nightmare continue.

Goalie - total dross. Somebody in a fkin straitjacket would've made a better attempt at the 2nd goal. As for the first... fck me. We were actually playing a not too bad containing game at that point but it worries me that that'll be the extent of our tactics under McLeish. No shots? Not acceptable.

McGinn - anonymous, ditto Murphy. McLean - don't see what that guy offers out wide, in the middle or anywhere else. I thought McGeouch looked quite tidy in possession though.

Phillips - missing the Mexico game and is away home. Just as well they told us that cos nobody would've noticed.

McBurnie - looks what he is, a Championship-level player, not nearly good enough but there's nobody else.

Not sure why the full-backs are getting a trashing on here. O'Donnell was left with 2 men on him at the 2nd goal and McTominay should surely have done better with the clearance than set it back up for the same guy. Stevenson will likely never get another cap but is a good solid club pro who did well enough.

Not too many positives other than we didn't get an absolute horsing. And Lewis Morgan - dare we hope yet again?

Folk saying they weren’t that great...not sure what people expected from them other than a foot off the pedal let’s not get injured ahead of the main event type performance from them. If it had been a competitive game they’d be a different and better beast.

32 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Folk saying they weren’t that great...not sure what people expected from them other than a foot off the pedal let’s not get injured ahead of the main event type performance from them. If it had been a competitive game they’d be a different and better beast.

I watched them in their playoff v New Zealand and was less than impressed. Obviously did well to qualify, no idea how on my viewing.

49 minutes ago, saintydave said:

I watched them in their playoff v New Zealand and was less than impressed. Obviously did well to qualify, no idea how on my viewing.

I do not think they did anything particularly special in qualifying, and seemed to benefit from FIFA handing them a 3-0 win over Bolivia after they fielded a ineligible player, and as you said, in the play-off’s they were not all that great v New Zealand 

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I do not think they did anything particularly special in qualifying, and seemed to benefit from FIFA handing them a 3-0 win over Bolivia after they fielded a ineligible player, and as you said, in the play-off’s they were not all that great v New Zealand 

Agree. I'd fancy us to beat them over two legs with a full strength team. 

They've lost twice in their last 25 games, away to Chile and at home to Brazil. In that time they've beat Croatia, Iceland, Uraguay & Brazil. while climbing to #11 in the FIFA rankings. 

So they're probably alright :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

They've lost twice in their last 25 games, away to Chile and at home to Brazil. In that time they've beat Croatia, Iceland, Uraguay & Brazil. while climbing to #11 in the FIFA rankings. 

So they're probably alright :lol: 

To be pedantic, they beat a Brazil second string side in the Copa America after half the squad pulled out/withdrew before the tournament started (Barca refused to release Neymar IIRC)

12 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I see some of them are leaving to come home now, I know Stevenson is one of them. Listening to McLeish it sounded like everyone who travelled is getting game time

Was something in media the other day that Danny Wilson will join up with the squad in Mexico