Sturgeon Refuses To Rule Out Another Referendum - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sturgeon Refuses To Rule Out Another Referendum

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a grip. Love your country and you want to put it on hold for another decade. I knew Salmond was lying about once in a generation and team Scotland but I thought the SNP would at least wait a week or two. The only good thing to come from another referendum would be that it would be the final nail in the coffin of the nationalist party.

Get a grip. Love your country and you want to put it on hold for another decade. I knew Salmond was lying about once in a generation and team Scotland but I thought the SNP would at least wait a week or two. The only good thing to come from another referendum would be that it would be the final nail in the coffin of the nationalist party.

What is your opinion of the No camp breaking the Edinburgh agreement? This alone gives us the right to demand another referendum.

Yeah, the last referendum has almost done that :lol::lol:

Given that since the referendum the SNP membership has grown to over 57,000 then i would say there is a clear appetite for another referendum, i would just hope we have it on a much shorter time frame from start to finish.

Remember that's less than 2% of the population and you can't generalise to the other 98% off the back of it as it won't be a representative sample by it's very nature.

Sturgeon would hardly say anything different. So in effect going by the timescales in the last vote we will probably have another poll in 2019. There is no guarantee the SNP will have a majority in the next election. Also the economic landscape will be different. My guess it will be around 2045.

Edited by EddardStark

Remember that's less than 2% of the population and you can't generalise to the other 98% off the back of it as it won't be a representative sample by it's very nature.

It is the overwhelming majority of the politically active in Scotland, they are now the third biggest party in the UK.

Sturgeon would hardly say anything different. So in effect going by the timescales in the last vote we will probably have another poll in 2019. There is no guarantee the SNP will have a majority in the next election. Also the economic landscape will be different. My guess it will be around 2045.

Eddard you are confusing guessing with hoping. It will be before that. its unstoppable now.

Government activity during the 28 days before the referendum

29. It is customary for there to be a period before elections in the UK, during which Ministers and other public bodies refrain from publishing material that would have a bearing on the election. Section 125 of PPERA sets out the restrictions that apply to Ministers and public bodies in the 28 days preceding referendums held under that Act. Both governments recognise the importance of respecting the 28-day period prior to a referendum, in the same way that both governments already respect each others pre-election period for Parliamentary elections. The Scottish Government will set out details of restricted behaviour for Scottish Ministers and devolved public bodies in the Referendum Bill to be introduced into the Scottish Parliament. These details will be based on the restrictions set out in PPERA. The UK Government has committed to act according to the same PPERA-based rules during the 28 day period.

Laughable

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/About/Government/concordats/Referendum-on-independence

Edited by thplinth

Government activity during the 28 days before the referendum

29. It is customary for there to be a period before elections in the UK, during which Ministers and other public bodies refrain from publishing material that would have a bearing on the election. Section 125 of PPERA sets out the restrictions that apply to Ministers and public bodies in the 28 days preceding referendums held under that Act. Both governments recognise the importance of respecting the 28-day period prior to a referendum, in the same way that both governments already respect each others pre-election period for Parliamentary elections. The Scottish Government will set out details of restricted behaviour for Scottish Ministers and devolved public bodies in the Referendum Bill to be introduced into the Scottish Parliament. These details will be based on the restrictions set out in PPERA. The UK Government has committed to act according to the same PPERA-based rules during the 28 day period.

Laughable

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/About/Government/concordats/Referendum-on-independence

Promotional material from the Scottish Government, Scottish local authorities and public bodies is banned for 28 days before the poll as a statutory requirement. The UK Government have a similar non-statutory commitment in the 2012 Edinburgh Agreement, para 29.

Thats the rule what promotional material did they publish ?

I think it'd be wrong to put a referendum in the manifesto for either 2015GE or 2016SPE, but hammer home all of the cuts and growing dissatisfaction over the next six years, next referendum in either 22 or 23

I disagree. The momentum is here now and if it is not sized upon then it will revert or be lost. Those people who joined the SNP did so to enhance the independence movement. No referendum pledge then they leave, simple as and I would reconsider my vote for them and I have been a party member for a long time.

Also the SNP will most likely not win two more majorities in a row but there is a good feeling that they could in 2016. So 2017 referendum is what I hope for.

I am a fan of the tide theory of support for independence. Last week was a new high but not high enough and now we must wait for the tide to go out. If that theory is right then two years is too soon.

But I also believe that while last week was the first possible opportunity in history for a yes vote, it was also the last possible opportunity for a no vote. Because when the tide comes back in it will be a tsunami.

"There is real danger here. In Quebec, a similar promise of more powers prevented a 'Yes' vote. But in the talks which followed agreement proved impossible and the result was a second referendum. It's what Scottish nationalists are secretly hoping happens now. The party leaders in Westminster need to be careful: they have set themselves a tough timetable, here. It is far from guaranteed they will stick to it. And if they fail, they should expect the calls for another independence referendum to become deafening."

http://politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2014/09/23/scottish-devolution-timetable-can-westminster-keep-its-promi

It is the overwhelming majority of the politically active in Scotland, they are now the third biggest party in the UK.

Yeah, but that in no way contradicts my statement.

Next date is dependent on uk politics and what's devolved in the next eighteen months