Sturgeon Refuses To Rule Out Another Referendum - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sturgeon Refuses To Rule Out Another Referendum

Completely agree, i see them pushing a "big gun" up north to steady the ship, regardless of how we view them they are ten times better than lamont

Scottish Labour know they're vulnerable, and the first thing they'll do is get rid off the utterly hopeless Lamont, and replace her with a 'stronger' figure like Murphy or even Brown.

If the Tories win the next GE I have a feeling that one of the above will step sideways into Scottish Labour.

Scottish Labour may be inept, hopeless, dishonest and tainted, but they won't give up.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another war in the middle east

Possible Tory/UKIP coalition and or alliance (think the Tory's will have their own majority though)

£25 billion in cuts on the way

Shed loads of UK civil service job cuts in Scotland

More privitisation of public services

The list is endless for increasing another referendum opportunity

We only need to win once

Get a grip. Love your country and you want to put it on hold for another decade. I knew Salmond was lying about once in a generation and team Scotland but I thought the SNP would at least wait a week or two. The only good thing to come from another referendum would be that it would be the final nail in the coffin of the nationalist party.

Salmond never lied, he said 'in my view...' This is not Alex Salmond now, it's Nicola Sturgeon and her view is different.

Did the UK government wait an hour or two to renege on their vow?

Scottish Labour know they're vulnerable, and the first thing they'll do is get rid off the utterly hopeless Lamont, and replace her with a 'stronger' figure like Murphy or even Brown.

If the Tories win the next GE I have a feeling that one of the above will step sideways into Scottish Labour.

Scottish Labour may be inept, hopeless, dishonest and tainted, but they won't give up.

Makes you wonder how a leader who has called 1.6million of the electorate nationalists continually would get on.

Sturgeon can't/won't move on the referendum till we know what new powers are being offered.

Brown has already stated we will get " home rule" or near federalism anything other than that then he's been lying to the voters.

There is an incredible requirement for change even with no voters. If we don't get that change the people will be very angry to the point of a serious backlash against Westminster and Labour in Scotland.

That's when the calls for another referendum will be too powerful to ignore

Also the SNP will most likely not win two more majorities in a row but there is a good feeling that they could in 2016. So 2017 referendum is what I hope for.

This is the elephant in the room around this question.

Winning an outright majority in Holyrood is very tough. It was never designed to be an outcome. By all accounts 2011 was a fluke: it wasn't that the SNP won about 45% of the popular vote, it was that they won 45% AND the other parties' results relative to each other secured them 54% of the seats.

Put another way, the outcome could just as easily be the SNP take 45% of the votes and win about 38% of the seats because of the positions of the other parties. That's the nature of the part-FPTP, part-PR beast.

It really is a long shot - my guess the best the SNP could hope for is that they get enough support from others (eg the Greens) in a minority administration to push through another referendum bill.

Edited by stevo

This is the elephant in the room around this question.

Winning an outright majority in Holyrood is very tough. It was never designed to be an outcome. By all accounts 2011 was a fluke: it wasn't that the SNP won about 45% of the popular vote, it was that they won 45% AND the other parties results relative to each other secured them 54% of the seats.

Put another way, the outcome could just as easily be the SNP take 45% of the votes and win about 38% of the seats because of the positions of the other parties. That's the nature of the part-FPTP, part-PR beast.

It really is a long shot - my guess the best the SNP could hope for is that they get enough support from others (eg the Greens) in a minority administration to push through another referendum bill.

The SNP are currently projected to incease their seat total... ;)

The SNP are currently projected to incease their seat total... ;)

That's impossible to call.

You can make a stab at the FPTP result but the PR outcome is an unknown quantity. It's completely dependent on the number of FPTP seats won v. the percentage of votes taken AND the other parties' relative positions.

It's approximately 1 in 67 of those registered to vote now. :D

An interesting and exciting set of possibilities start to present themselves with that volume of members and that ratio.

We could create a database of every registered voter and have the membership take 'responsibility' for almost everyone.

We could create a skills database to target areas such as the new media or social engagement.

It is an astonishing number of people, the challenge will be to engage with them before the fire dims.

People didn't put years or months into this to walk away after a result much of which can be put down to a few newspaper editors and the bbc newsroom. That was not democracy in any shape or form. When one side is allowed to lie through their teeth and the state broadcaster aids in it a sense of major injustice was created. When the unionist phone banks went into full scare mode against senior citizens, people on benefits, immigrants, on the monday, Tuesday, Wednesday of the last week , spouting whatever lie was required to change the vote anger was added to injustice. Major lines were crossed in this referendum campaign - scaring the crap out of o.a.p s about their pensions is as low as you can get. Makes you wonder why they were so determined to keep us.