The Brexit Thread - Page 184 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

On 2/13/2020 at 10:26 PM, PapofGlencoe said:

I find he talks in absolutes when things are more complex.  But he does have his own views and speaks them, fair play to him.  I don't think he's becoming to any other force than himself.

He's really in his brother's shadow though.

Aye you might be right, especially his views on drugs. 

He’s long said that he gave up trying to influence politics a long time ago, probably just paying the bills now. 

Wonder how his brother would be treated now given his views on Islam. 

It's got to the point that most of the country probably just shrugs their shoulders at the apointment of Suella Braverman as Attorney General especially when there is very little scrutiny by the media

The woman is an absolute fucking moron and should be nowhere near any political position never mind Attorney General

She will do and say anything to keep herself in favour along with knowing the square root of fuck all

I cannot believe there has not been more furore about Julian Smith and Sajid Javid’s departure from government from the general public.
Granted I am not on other social media and it may be all over that but the circumstances surrounding their departures really do stink.  

Julian Smith seems to be held in high esteem by many people involved in NI power sharing deal. In one report  I read that he lost his job because the NI agreement includes plans for a historical investigations  unit whose remit will include alleged crimes by British soldiers during the troubles. Other reports say  he clashed with Dominic Cummings. 

Sajid Javid’s forced departure and Rishi Sunak’s appointment is reminiscent of a football board appointing a manager then picking the team for him.  That man Cummings again. 

Yet no-one bats an eye. At work yesterday the new chancellor appeared on TV. One woman says ‘ he has a nice face and is smartly dressed’ . Another one agrees. Nobody even questions what the changes are and why they have taken place. Fookin unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I cannot believe there has not been more furore about Julian Smith and Sajid Javid’s departure from government from the general public.
Granted I am not on other social media and it may be all over that but the circumstances surrounding their departures really do stink.  

Julian Smith seems to be held in high esteem by many people involved in NI power sharing deal. In one report  I read that he lost his job because the NI agreement includes plans for a historical investigations  unit whose remit will include alleged crimes by British soldiers during the troubles. Other reports say  he clashed with Dominic Cummings. 

Sajid Javid’s forced departure and Rishi Sunak’s appointment is reminiscent of a football board appointing a manager then picking the team for him.  That man Cummings again. 

Yet no-one bats an eye. At work yesterday the new chancellor appeared on TV. One woman says ‘ he has a nice face and is smartly dressed’ . Another one agrees. Nobody even questions what the changes are and why they have taken place. Fookin unbelievable. 

There's been plenty, but if you're not interested - your co-workers, not you - then you're not interested. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

There's been plenty, but if you're not interested - your co-workers, not you - then you're not interested. 

There’s perhaps been plenty amongst politically engaged people but I haven’t witnessed much elsewhere.

I could understand the disinterest if Johnson was simply shuffling his cabinet after May’s reign, but these  were his own people.
There has been plenty in the papers,  you would think that folk would at least raise an eyebrow. 

Maybe its just my circle of friends/ colleagues,  and/or my over optimistic expectations. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

There’s perhaps been plenty amongst politically engaged people but I haven’t witnessed much elsewhere.

I could understand the disinterest if Johnson was simply shuffling his cabinet after May’s reign, but these  were his own people.
There has been plenty in the papers,  you would think that folk would at least raise an eyebrow. 

Maybe its just my circle of friends/ colleagues,  and/or my over optimistic expectations. 

I guess that's my point, it tends only to be politically engaged people who tend to be interested in this sort of stuff, until it goes wrong and the shit hits the fan by which point it's too late,

10 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The post brexit migration policy will be absolutely brutal to some industries in scotland, i see the tories losing swathes of voters in rural scotland 

The tories won't care mate

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The post brexit migration policy will be absolutely brutal to some industries in scotland, i see the tories losing swathes of voters in rural scotland 

This was obvious before the referendum. I remember plenty of people, including myself, saying that farmers were morons for thinking Brexit would be good for them.

If farmers and fishermen genuinely thought that the Tories would look after them, and the reduction of labour could be accounted for, well what a bunch of absolute idiots. They deserve everything thats coming for them. 

Add in the tourism & hospitality industry, and its a complete clusterfuck.

48 minutes ago, kumnio said:

This was obvious before the referendum. I remember plenty of people, including myself, saying that farmers were morons for thinking Brexit would be good for them.

If farmers and fishermen genuinely thought that the Tories would look after them, and the reduction of labour could be accounted for, well what a bunch of absolute idiots. They deserve everything thats coming for them. 

Add in the tourism & hospitality industry, and its a complete clusterfuck.

TBF, I think farmers were generally sceptical about Brexit, Fishermen on the other hand totally drank the KoolAid. 

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

TBF, I think farmers were generally sceptical about Brexit, Fishermen on the other hand totally drank the KoolAid. 

In Angus there were plenty of farms will Leave placards, and they always have Tory signs at elections. Despite getting massive EU subsidies, they really did buy into the shite.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The tories won't care mate

Correct, why would they. Even if the SNP won every single seat it amounts to zero leverage over the tories for the next 5 years at least but much more likely 10 years at least. We have nothing they need anymore. If anything having so few seats only means they will care even less if that was possible. We are an absolute irrelevance to them now.

57 minutes ago, kumnio said:

In Angus there were plenty of farms will Leave placards, and they always have Tory signs at elections. Despite getting massive EU subsidies, they really did buy into the shite.

Individual farmers perhaps but the NFU in England & Wales and NFU Scotland both came out in support of remaining in the EU.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36078112

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/farming/956807/undefined-headline-1754/

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 11:01 AM, kumnio said:

Its a pity I cant post photos as there was some classic vandalism to a Vote Kirstene Hair sign before the election. Basically read  vote Kirstene Hairy minge and the added bonus of an old school Hitler moustache on Hairs coupon. 

Lovely stuff. 

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Half wits ?

What could possibly go wrong 

Notice how the "Scottish" version of the rag differs and tell me we are not a colony