"Bonnie Scotland we'll support you ever more" element of fans has to go - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"Bonnie Scotland we'll support you ever more" element of fans has to go

clarky1606

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Plenty people around me clapped the team off the park v Lithuania a couple of months ago. I was in shock.

I'm not, its been going on for decades. Its not helped though by a manager who says we played brilliant, some of the best since he became gaffer. Thats called the blind leading the blind. (it wasn't always like this, in the 80's if we played crap the crowd let the team know)

These people should have no bearing over silencing others though as i have seen first hand. If they think what we are being served is acceptable then its they who need to have a look at themselves as they are part of the problem.

On the players i often think to myself would these highly paid professionals who run our game and play for the national team be as tepid about our performances if they had to save up and traipse around the globe often sleeping in airports and the like, would they then understand why we both need to and have the right to vocally critcise how they are performing? . 

If they don't want to play for their country then just say so, if they do then accept whats coming when you don't kick a ball. That also applies to the tactics.

We need to drown out those happy to be in perpetual mediocrity, Personally i have been sickened over the years watching fans 'celebrate' failure, and any that try to say get a life its just fans having fun, well, thats not how it looks when you are dressed top to toe in Scotland related gear, it looks to others as it is, that we actively celebrate being pish.

As a guy in Brussels said to me many moons ago 'you guys are so great, even when you get beat you are just as happy'. That said it all for me as i was far from happy but when i looked around the guy was spot on. It did look like we had just won the game. 

25 minutes ago, TartanTon said:

I'm not, its been going on for decades. Its not helped though by a manager who says we played brilliant, some of the best since he became gaffer. Thats called the blind leading the blind. (it wasn't always like this, in the 80's if we played crap the crowd let the team know)

I have a vague memory of some game (think it may have been in the 70's though) where after a poor performance the Scotland players were exiting the pitch and going down the tunnel with the TA of the time leaning over the tunnel walls giving the players the V's and booing them off. I was a kid and saw it on TV. For the life of me I can't remember what game it was but there was certainly a time when Scotland fans would let the players know if they thought they were not putting a shift in. It went all nicey nicey fairly recently it seems.

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I have a vague memory of some game (think it may have been in the 70's though) where after a poor performance the Scotland players were exiting the pitch and going down the tunnel with the TA of the time leaning over the tunnel walls giving the players the V's and booing them off. I was a kid and saw it on TV. For the life of me I can't remember what game it was but there was certainly a time when Scotland fans would let the players know if they thought they were not putting a shift in. It went all nicey nicey fairly recently it seems.

I think it is purely down to the fact there was an expectation for the team to do well in the 70's and 80's as a precedent had been set. There is absolutely no expectation these days which breeds apathy and acceptance. Clearly not by everyone as this board proves , but by a reasonable number. 

35 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Sounds like Argentina to me.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/scotland-1-v-iran-1-angry-scottish-fans-shouting-from-the-terraces-picture-id592345982?s=594x594

There's at least one guy in that picture still going strong to this day.

Edited by aaid

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/scotland-1-v-iran-1-angry-scottish-fans-shouting-from-the-terraces-picture-id592345982?s=594x594

Ahhh cheers been bugging me for ages that. And to think it has been downhill since then. :lol:

7 hours ago, aaid said:

What's your mans name again meet him few times over the years ? the tartan teddy in all that 

ATAC – the Association of Tartan Army Clubs - generally does not conduct conversations on Forums, particularly those where the posters are anonymous. However, we have been following comments within this thread and others and felt it appropriate to respond.

ATAC is a voluntary umbrella group for a number of Scotland Supporters groups (Tartan Armies) throughout the country and beyond. Each member group elects a representative to ATAC who in turn elect a steering group, this is carried out annually. They do not and have never purported to represent all of the wider Scottish support, but do believe that the composition of its membership is broadly representative of all.

We have been reading comments re ATAC ‘hiding’, ‘cosying up’ ‘not wanting to lose its advantages’ etc. If anyone can tell us the advantages we would be delighted to know.

We are certainly not hiding, for those who are not aware - it’s probably helpful to explain what we are doing. We have to confess we are slightly hesitant in doing so, why? – this is a public forum, anyone can read this, including those from press and media – we can see the headlines already “Tartan Army Chiefs meet to discuss Strachan’s future” “Sack the SFA Board say Tartan Army Chiefs”…The use of ‘Chiefs’  is indicative of what is usually printed, not how we perceive ourselves. Anyone can be a Chief, want a turn? We are all Scotland supporters and like everyone we are hurting at the moment, however, with the next International dates not until March 2017, we have time to consult with the membership seek their views and opinions and determine what, if any, actions should be taken. It’s not for an individual or steering group to determine that, that is driven by consensus.

Some threads started by criticising how some people support the national team, others called for the manager to resign / be sacked. Others referred to the SFA Board and the Chief Executive. Threads developed over ticket issuing at Wembley then moved onto criticising ATAC

Our position is very straightforward. Through our member clubs we will seek to identify and sort out the ‘fact’ or ‘valid’ concerns / issues, we know that they are there. These will be taken to our next regular representatives meeting, which co-incidentally is in a couple of weeks. The representatives will discuss and agree next steps. If we require (and most certainly will) to take something to the SSC / SFA we will.

The SSC / SFA do not require to listen or meet with us, they do so as they appreciate that we have taken time to consider things and provide alternatives or solutions. The ‘relationship’ is one of courtesy, it’s no secret that it was not good for a time – when ATAC met with the SFA Commercial team and registered our disgust at the pricing policy for the last campaign, let’s just say we didn’t miss them with our comments. Notwithstanding that we have continued to meet and discuss with the SSC and SFA Security on matters affecting ‘the matchday experience’ everything from ticketing through security at matches home and away. Do we always get what we ask for – most certainly not – but we do find that a number of our suggestions and proposals are adopted.

Now, do you want to influence what we do? You are very welcome. Don’t take this the wrong way, but seldom will we act upon a posting on a messageboard from someone we do not know, just because a vociferous small number of people say “pitchforks outside Hampden at dawn – ATAC lead the attack” will we go away and arrange this – Any reasonably headed person should understand this position. What can you do? Well, ONE poster from here has taken the time to write, they have had the courtesy of a reply, please feel free to contact us. Or if you are so minded, attend any of the meetings of ATAC member clubs, where all sorts of things are discussed including your item, whatever it is.

Of course,if you want to raise it with Hampden directly, then you are perfectly entitled to do so, we can supply the appropriate extension number if you wish.

Please do not start posting questions here – there is a link to contact us on our website– as stated at the outset we generally do not conduct conversations on anonymous forums. And, we fully expect that every line or word will be dissected by some and thrown back at us, we are used to that. We would hope however that you appreciate the sentiment and intent. We are all at the end of the day just Scotland fans trying to support our team.

59 minutes ago, ATAC said:

ATAC – the Association of Tartan Army Clubs - generally does not conduct conversations on Forums, particularly those where the posters are anonymous. However, we have been following comments within this thread and others and felt it appropriate to respond.

ATAC is a voluntary umbrella group for a number of Scotland Supporters groups (Tartan Armies) throughout the country and beyond. Each member group elects a representative to ATAC who in turn elect a steering group, this is carried out annually. They do not and have never purported to represent all of the wider Scottish support, but do believe that the composition of its membership is broadly representative of all.

We have been reading comments re ATAC ‘hiding’, ‘cosying up’ ‘not wanting to lose its advantages’ etc. If anyone can tell us the advantages we would be delighted to know.

We are certainly not hiding, for those who are not aware - it’s probably helpful to explain what we are doing. We have to confess we are slightly hesitant in doing so, why? – this is a public forum, anyone can read this, including those from press and media – we can see the headlines already “Tartan Army Chiefs meet to discuss Strachan’s future” “Sack the SFA Board say Tartan Army Chiefs”…The use of ‘Chiefs’  is indicative of what is usually printed, not how we perceive ourselves. Anyone can be a Chief, want a turn? We are all Scotland supporters and like everyone we are hurting at the moment, however, with the next International dates not until March 2017, we have time to consult with the membership seek their views and opinions and determine what, if any, actions should be taken. It’s not for an individual or steering group to determine that, that is driven by consensus.

Some threads started by criticising how some people support the national team, others called for the manager to resign / be sacked. Others referred to the SFA Board and the Chief Executive. Threads developed over ticket issuing at Wembley then moved onto criticising ATAC

Our position is very straightforward. Through our member clubs we will seek to identify and sort out the ‘fact’ or ‘valid’ concerns / issues, we know that they are there. These will be taken to our next regular representatives meeting, which co-incidentally is in a couple of weeks. The representatives will discuss and agree next steps. If we require (and most certainly will) to take something to the SSC / SFA we will.

The SSC / SFA do not require to listen or meet with us, they do so as they appreciate that we have taken time to consider things and provide alternatives or solutions. The ‘relationship’ is one of courtesy, it’s no secret that it was not good for a time – when ATAC met with the SFA Commercial team and registered our disgust at the pricing policy for the last campaign, let’s just say we didn’t miss them with our comments. Notwithstanding that we have continued to meet and discuss with the SSC and SFA Security on matters affecting ‘the matchday experience’ everything from ticketing through security at matches home and away. Do we always get what we ask for – most certainly not – but we do find that a number of our suggestions and proposals are adopted.

Now, do you want to influence what we do? You are very welcome. Don’t take this the wrong way, but seldom will we act upon a posting on a messageboard from someone we do not know, just because a vociferous small number of people say “pitchforks outside Hampden at dawn – ATAC lead the attack” will we go away and arrange this – Any reasonably headed person should understand this position. What can you do? Well, ONE poster from here has taken the time to write, they have had the courtesy of a reply, please feel free to contact us. Or if you are so minded, attend any of the meetings of ATAC member clubs, where all sorts of things are discussed including your item, whatever it is.

Of course,if you want to raise it with Hampden directly, then you are perfectly entitled to do so, we can supply the appropriate extension number if you wish.

Please do not start posting questions here – there is a link to contact us on our website– as stated at the outset we generally do not conduct conversations on anonymous forums. And, we fully expect that every line or word will be dissected by some and thrown back at us, we are used to that. We would hope however that you appreciate the sentiment and intent. We are all at the end of the day just Scotland fans trying to support our team.

ATAC should be actively promoting a sack the board protest at the slovenia game

How about(for those not boycotting) supporting the Protest by hanging saltires upside down( should be printed otherwise useless) or making banners with striking demands:

sack xyz

Lower ticket prices

Make football affordable

Football without fans is nothing(had to do that)

Scottish footballs dying

Or turning around when the team does the "thumps up applause" after the match.

a comcerted "anti chant"

Make the media getting involved.

Edited by Batzek-osemba

4 minutes ago, Batzek-osemba said:

How about(for those not boycotting) supporting the Protest by hanging saltires upside down( should be printed otherwise useless)

See, that's where the Union flag comes into its own. Probably not worth amalgamating into a Team GB just so as to make a subtle flag protest, but that'd undeniably be a fringe benefit ... :)

2 hours ago, Batzek-osemba said:

How about(for those not boycotting) supporting the Protest by hanging saltires upside down( should be printed otherwise useless) or making banners with striking demands:

sack xyz

Lower ticket prices

Make football affordable

Football without fans is nothing(had to do that)

Scottish footballs dying

Or turning around when the team does the "thumps up applause" after the match.

a comcerted "anti chant"

Make the media getting involved.

sack the board chanted for the entire game should do it

On 18/11/2016 at 2:36 PM, aaid said:

The guy at the front looks like John Wark.:lol:. Those protests were understandable considering how difficult and expensive it was to travel round the world in those days. Coupled with the fact that expectations were so high. 

It's interesting to think how easy it was for fans to protest their feelings in those days without the need for somebody else to organise it for them.;)

That said, I am old enough to remember 1969 when we got well and truly humped at Wembley. I have never heard Scotland fans sing their support for the team as loudly as they did at the end of that game. 

17 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

See, that's where the Union flag comes into its own. Probably not worth amalgamating into a Team GB just so as to make a subtle flag protest, but that'd undeniably be a fringe benefit ... :)

I don't know if I like you reading TA Specific because it means you've began to care about our team. Or if I hate it because you're laughing at how rank we are :lol:

22 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I don't know if I like you reading TA Specific because it means you've began to care about our team. Or if I hate it because you're laughing at how rank we are :lol:

Ach, I like this place too much to get any satisfaction from the shiteness of your team, and all things considered ours is little better. I enter this forum with the wide-eyed wonder of a cultural tourist - feels a bit like being an 18th century visitor to Bedlam, having a gawp at the inmates ...

On 11/18/2016 at 11:18 PM, ATAC said:

Just looked at your site. You don't get it do you,what  you represent is nothing to do with 99% of Scottish football supporters just the "elite" 1% who just want organised fun. The scc and yourselves have managed to destroy football as an "experience" for the vast majority of us.

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Just looked at your site. You don't get it do you,what  you represent is nothing to do with 99% of Scottish football supporters just the "elite" 1% who just want organised fun. The scc and yourselves have managed to destroy football as an "experience" for the vast majority of us.

:lol: