Victory Shield - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Victory Shield

er yir macaroon

45 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

That lad Gilmour and the Tottenham centre back looked the most promising.

As promising as young lads are who are with Rangers and Celtic you just think "Hmmm will they ever get a game...."

Calvin Miller of a couple years ago the perfect example....

While I agree with your general point, Miller is only 18 and has just signed a three year deal.

2 hours ago, KennyMiller said:

For those close to this tournament what's the feeling of England pulling out?

As an outsider and an ignorant one at that it looks like an inflated opinion of themselves is to blame?

I'm not at all close to this tournament, but I have an opinion if that helps?!

I think the England decision is a good one for them. We are often critical of the UK game as being 'different' and 'less technical' than the European/global game. To deal with this I would suggest one simple and effective method would be to expose young players to different styles of play earlier and more often - this is what England seem to be trying to do. I wouldn't say that England have an inflated opinion of themselves either; whether we like it or not they are pretty consistently a top 15 footballing nation whereas ourselves, Wales (current position aside), NI and the Republic are most certainly not. England want to play more games against similar teams, presumably to learn how not to get papped out of every tournament at the QF stage when they are seniors.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Ireland were deserved winners. Three wins out of three. Scored nine and conceded only one.

Ireland barely got a kick in the first half, but took control with betterphysique and some ability in the second. Some promising players in both sides, but typically only one or two will make it to the senior side. I'd be shocked if Gilmour didn't.