Saturday 3pm - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Saturday 3pm

podgers1903

After a discussion at work i had a look back at fixtures, Cant believe the last time Scotland played a home fixture at 3pm on a Saturday was 4 years ago (8th September 2012) against Serbia

Does anyone know the reason why internationals are no longer 3pm on a Saturday instead we have 7.45 on a Saturday night. Pretty shit for a lot of the Tartan Army having to travel back up north to Aberdeen, Inverness etc.
Dont think we can really blame Sky causeĀ as far as i remember am sure they still showed 3pm games live on TV

The week/orgy of football came along and the rest is history.

Compare now to the Euro 08 campaign when all home games were Saturday games, many of which were 15:00 KO.

Off the top of my head the last time I got to a Saturday home game was the 2-2 v Czech Rep back in 2011.Ā Can't remember if that was a 15:00 KO or not? Think it was.

J

Just now, Bristolhibby said:

The week/orgy of football came along and the rest is history.

Compare now to the Euro 08 campaign when all home games were Saturday games, many of which were 15:00 KO.

Off the top of my head the last time I got to a Saturday home game was the 2-2 v Czech Rep back in 2011.Ā Can't remember if that was a 15:00 KO or not? Think it was.

J

There was a bit of luck getting that, as the Ukrainians and Georgians kicked off at the fixtures meeting (IIRC we were suppose to start at home v Italy) and it went to UEFA to pick the fixtures through the computer.

Think the Italy game was the only one not to kick off at 3pm, as the rules were the final games had to kick off at the same time.

Just now, wanderer said:

There was a bit of luck getting that, as the Ukrainians and Georgians kicked off at the fixtures meeting (IIRC we were suppose to start at home v Italy) and it went to UEFA to pick the fixtures through the computer.

Think the Italy game was the only one not to kick off at 3pm, as the rules were the final games had to kick off at the same time.

Yes and all the away games were on the Wednesday. Perfect for me as I had no kids then and plenty of leave. Quite like having away games at the weekend now as I'm not leaving the missus/in-laws doing the school run.

So far so good. Bagged the Mother-in-law to do Tuesday/Wednesday for the Slovakia game, and have a late afternoon flight out to Vienna so I can do the drop (in full kilt) on the Monday.

JĀ 

SImple really. TV dictates everything in football. Loosely touched on BBC's Scotland's Game that many will have watched - think that on a bigger scale.Ā 

I like the evening games too but understand the frustrations for those travelling further afield. But we only have a few homes games per year so I like to think of each one as an event.Ā 

41 minutes ago, wanderer said:

The Italy game was our final game, but it wasn't the final group game because Ukraine and France played the following midweek.

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

The Italy game was our final game, but it wasn't the final group game because Ukraine and France played the following midweek.

Right enough. There was a sliver of hope requiring Ukraine to beat the French by 2 for us to sneak into the playoffs IIRC.

J

If it was anything other than this game we love so much ( or big business more like), we would all walk away in disgust and not look back. They've got us cos we're addicts. I keep going back to be exploited. EvenĀ buy the programmes.Ā 

Makes it even worse when I can see what is happening yet keep doing it. Love going to Scotland games but not sure if is all pleasure. Torture a lot of the time. Well 90 minutes at least.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Right enough. There was a sliver of hope requiring Ukraine to beat the French by 2 for us to sneak into the playoffs IIRC.

J

I think that might have been the case had the Italy game finished 1-1, but Panucci's goal took that very slim chance away.

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 minute ago, aaid said:

People forget that it's only for a relatively short period that internationals were on a Saturday at 3pm* Ā 

For years games were only on Wednesday nights.

Ā 

*england games in home internationals excepted

Ā 

Recall all the Euro 96 games were a Wednesday, so must have been WC98 qualifiers it started, and even then Saturday games were something of a "luxury" up to the early-mid 2000's..... 98 I only recall Estonia, Sweden and Latvia being on Saturdays.... Euro 2000 I think only theĀ Estonia and Lithuania games were a Saturday (think Bosnia at Ibrox was also suppose to be a Saturday, but game was canceled pretty late)... even World Cup 2002 I seem to only recall the Belgium,Ā Croatia and Latvia games being a Satuday.... after this period Saturday home games seemed to become more the norm until 2010-ish (Slovenia in 2004 is the only home qualifier from this period I can think of not to take place on a Saturday).

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

I think France was also 5pm. Either that or I felt like I had an extra 2 hours in th pub

Ps worth reiterating to the folk that moan about the non 3pm Saturday game that we're not a special case Ā (not saying you OP as it was a valid question) andĀ it's notĀ SFA's fault or anybody else connected to the Scottish game that you can have a pop at. Countless folk have done on here, in person and Facebook, I would imagine. Total morons the lot of them.

2 hours ago, JECK said:

IIRC the Sweden game at ibroxĀ for France 98 was a Sunday afternoon.

I can confirm that was the case.

Jim Leighton's finest performance for Scotland, in my view.

Sweden brought on a certain Henrik Larsson for an ineffectual Martin Dahlin that day - and promptly did us a favour by sticking him out on the right wing.

Ā 

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Aye, first Saturday qualifier I went to was Estonia at Rugby Park.

The England game next year will be on a Saturday afternoon (at 5pm).

Remember that game Estonia had a flat back four with another flat back four just in front of it, add the two in midfield and Iget were Craig Levine was coming from